Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   MPP===best album of all time (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28682)

greedrex 01.21.2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Isn't shit meant to be like more or less the same colour at all ages?

buwahahahahahahaha

atsonicpark 01.21.2009 07:49 PM

that video did suck.

Alex's Trip 01.21.2009 08:08 PM

Yeah, whats with the crappy AC videos lately. I liked Peacebone. But Water Curses video was a snore, and this is just dumb.

Good song though.

and while on the topic of videos: I love the newest Parenthetical Girls video though.

atsonicpark 01.21.2009 08:21 PM

I love
Bobby Beausoleil.

uhler 01.21.2009 08:55 PM

what's up with them charging over 30 bucks for shows? sonic youth doesn't even do that. i understand they are playing at bigger venues now, but over 30 bucks just for one band (and some shitty openers i'm sure). give me a break!

aside from sonic youth and minor threat (via time machine that would take me back to 1982), i would never pay that much for a show that wasn't a fest.

i had a problem paying ten bucks last night for vivian girls, fucked up and pissed jeans and i really like those bands (well i really only like pissed jeans live, they are okay on record).

atsonicpark 01.21.2009 09:05 PM

Because animal collective are more popular than sonic youth perhaps?... Or, they're at least on their way to being more popular. Which is sad and ridiculous but true.

$30 for any band is fucking robbery. I'm trying to think.... I'd pay $30 for a Captain Beefheart reunion tour and maybe, via time machine, a Thinking Fellers Union Local # 282/Sun City Girls/Caroliner show... and perhaps 99 Boadrum. That's about it.

SYRFox 01.22.2009 01:33 AM

$30? That's strange
I would definitely pay $30 to see them, but that's strange. Tickets for the gig in Lille, in two months, are only 10€, which is $13 :confused:

uhler 01.22.2009 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
$30? That's strange
I would definitely pay $30 to see them, but that's strange. Tickets for the gig in Lille, in two months, are only 10€, which is $13 :confused:

i was eating dinner at my work last night and i heard a co-worker talking about how she's going to get animal collective tickets and they'll be around 30-40 bucks. they played here the other day and i think it was around 20 bucks.

sarramkrop 01.22.2009 02:54 AM

Has nayone mentioned they're shit yet?

acousticrock87 01.22.2009 04:02 AM

Yes, but he was subjectively wrong.

Also, he got bored of antagonizing.

davenotdead 01.22.2009 07:52 PM

you guys are so naive, honestly. i sold my chicago ticket for $90.

people were scalping these for $100+. MPP is #2 on US itunes right now. AC/MPP just got referenced in a fucking fantasy basketball blog. http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/BDL-NBA-Power-Rankings-Do-you-believe-in-Magic-;_ylt=AtoZq4_U3li.ch_rUHXTJka8vLYF?urn=nba,135466
(scroll down to chicago bulls at #20)

they make really great music. i am happy they are getting the chance to make a good living off of it now

atsonicpark 01.22.2009 09:18 PM

Where does "naive" come in?

acousticrock87 01.22.2009 10:09 PM

It's in the first sentence. Before the comma.

Alex's Trip 01.22.2009 10:17 PM

I got $20 tickets for the Troubadour show this Saturday. I don't recall the service charge shit though.

Everyneurotic 01.22.2009 10:26 PM

this record is kinda meh.

davenotdead 01.22.2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Where does "naive" come in?

maybe "in denial" or "stuck in the past" works better.

i'm referring to the 5 posts in a row on the other page all saying "$30!?!!/!/?"

as in. yes, and maybe 25-30% of the people who went to these NYC shows paid way more. and this happens for many other bands too.

atsonicpark 01.22.2009 11:22 PM

I don't honestly believe -- and I've never seen them, just youtube clips and listened to their records -- their shows would be good enough to be worth $30. In fact, they seem like the most boring band on earth to see live next to, like, Black Dice or something.

davenotdead 01.22.2009 11:27 PM

they are way better live than most bands (i put sy but changed it, i'm tired of fighting)

atsonicpark 01.22.2009 11:29 PM

All the live clips I've seen have been a bunch of dorks out-of-tune harmonizing and dancing like PCP addicted weirdos and stepping on obvious fx pedals. Just seemed like a really boring party. I'd still probably buy tickets for me and my girlfriend because she beats her clit off to them.

davenotdead 01.22.2009 11:37 PM

well yr gf is smart.

and i dont know what clips yr watching, are they from 09?

Alex's Trip 01.22.2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

I don't honestly believe -- and I've never seen them, just youtube clips and listened to their records -- their shows would be good enough to be worth $30. In fact, they seem like the most boring band on earth to see live next to, like, Black Dice or something.

They were pretty awesome when I saw them at the Henry Fonda theater in 07, but I don't get to go to too many shows. Just the odd few and Coachella 2006 and 2008. It was pretty spectacular, and the energy was great.

atsonicpark 01.22.2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead
well yr gf is smart.

and i dont know what clips yr watching, are they from 09?

No. It was clips I saw before on the boob tube. Just seemed like dumb shit. But now I want to kiss it.

atsonicpark 01.23.2009 12:15 AM

4gb? jesus..

SYRFox 01.23.2009 01:13 AM

Quote:

In fact, they seem like the most boring band on earth to see live

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=g3KtS5RWkkI
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=DnlMxPXoRoI
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=rzVOpJGW9bg

Come on man

uhler 01.23.2009 03:14 AM

how is not paying thirty dollar for a so called "indie band" being stuck in the past? is it hip and cool for young people nowadays to pay over the top prices to see some band? i understand they are getting bigger, but if they sold their tickets for even fifteen dollars they still could make a living off of it.

i bet they are bigger than fugazi ever was and fugazi sold their tickets for no more than six bucks and they made a pretty nice living off of it.

like i said, unless a time machine is involved or it's a fest, i will never pay that much for a band.

davenotdead 01.23.2009 03:51 AM

well my reasoning is AC is as big as SY... and I paid $25 for SY the one time i've seen them.... so paying the same amount for AC is fine by me. and as far as I know, the band doesn't totally get to set the price of admission

uhler 01.23.2009 04:00 AM

Quote:

well my reasoning is AC is as big as SY... and I paid $25 for SY the one time i've seen them.... so paying the same amount for AC is fine by me. and as far as I know, the band doesn't totally get to set the price of admission

i don't even think i would pay thirty bucks again just to see sonic youth and they're my favorite band.

davenotdead 01.23.2009 04:04 AM

i don't like paying it, but what are you gonna do? until someone invents a cheap time machine, we are stuck with how it is. my favorite price is $8 for a ticket.

uhler 01.23.2009 04:07 AM

five to ten bucks is a nice price to me. actually i complained when i had to pay ten for the show the other night. the place was a shithole though.

fugazifan 01.23.2009 04:26 AM

i like the new stuff. and i think they are great live. but i wish i had seen them earlier, like here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGIsI...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB2i5...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFrY5...eature=related

[Sandbag] 01.23.2009 09:07 AM

it's now been a week of repeated listening.
sounds ok... not the best album of all time though ;P

Alex's Trip 01.23.2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
how is not paying thirty dollar for a so called "indie band" being stuck in the past? is it hip and cool for young people nowadays to pay over the top prices to see some band? i understand they are getting bigger, but if they sold their tickets for even fifteen dollars they still could make a living off of it.

i bet they are bigger than fugazi ever was and fugazi sold their tickets for no more than six bucks and they made a pretty nice living off of it.

like i said, unless a time machine is involved or it's a fest, i will never pay that much for a band.

I don't think the band gets to set the price, and because of the prevalence of internet downloads, I think the price had to go up to compensate, for the band and the record company, and I'm sure venues have their economic reasons for charging more as well (even if part of it is squeezing more money out of us).

davenotdead 01.23.2009 03:50 PM

Kanye just linked to the My Girls video on his blog. game over/end thread
http://www.kanyeuniversecity.com/blo...m3281=&em3161=

ps-- also #2 featured vid on youtube

sarramkrop 01.23.2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I don't think the band gets to set the price, and because of the prevalence of internet downloads, I think the price had to go up to compensate, for the band and the record company, and I'm sure venues have their economic reasons for charging more as well (even if part of it is squeezing more money out of us).

You're not sure....first. Second, that sort of amount of money for a gig ticket is not generally affordable for students or young people in general, the sort of crowd I'd expect to attend their gigs in droves, regardless of my opinion of their music. It seems really unfair to me to be that cynical to your fans, when Animal Collective are living off the hype because you're suddenly put on that pedestal.

uhler 01.23.2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
You're not sure....first. Second, that sort of amount of money for a gig ticket is not generally affordable for students or young people in general, the sort of crowd I'd expect to attend their gigs in droves, regardless of my opinion of their music. It seems really unfair to me to be that cynical to your fans, when Animal Collective are living off the hype because you're suddenly put on that pedestal.

and students and young people are the ones that should be supporting underground music the most. i feel by paying that much money for a band, no matter who they were, and because of how much they paid for the ticket, they wouldn't be able to afford to go to other shows where their support is actually needed. i know i wouldn't be able to afford it.

i think if the band went up to whatever scumbag is running the venue and put their foot down about the ticket price than the price will be changed. i feel animal collective are big enough to have that much power.

sarramkrop 01.23.2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
and students and young people are the ones that should be supporting underground music the most. i feel by paying that much money for a band, no matter who they were, and because of how much they paid for the ticket, they wouldn't be able to afford to go to other shows where their support is actually needed. i know i wouldn't be able to afford it.

EXACTLY.

davenotdead 01.23.2009 04:21 PM

both nyc shows were 98% young people....

uhler 01.23.2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

both nyc shows were 98% young people....

yeah that was my point.

i have a friend that is a long time fan. she even took violin lessons from one of the members mom. she used to see them for free or like five bucks. we were talking the other night about how big animal collective are and she said she would never pay that much money for a band that she used to see for free or five bucks. she's a big animal collective fan too.

i just think animal collective is selling their long time fans short by having their ticket prices so high. they may even lose some of their longtime fans. they don't have to charge that much money if they didn't really want to.

uhler 01.23.2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypertonic
I think that they're hardcore fans would find a way to save a bit more scratch to see them if they really wanted to. As long as it isn't ticketmaster, it doesn't bother me too much. I mean I can barely afford to eat right now, but I found a way to get the vinyl... Of course I lucked out and got it for $13-14 somehow. But I needed it, not wanted. I want to work!

but their hardcore fans shouldn't have to do that. no one should have to do that. especially when there's other bands out there that are amazing and need as much help as possible so they can put out more amazing albums and tour more.

davenotdead 01.23.2009 06:17 PM

uhler, it kind of sounds like yr whining now... if thats the price, then thats the price... wtf? did you whine when SY released the 4-lp version of Daydream Nation, and stuck a $30 price on it?