Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

the ikara cult 03.21.2012 09:42 PM

He never stops, boy, even after he's buried

stu666 03.22.2012 01:01 AM

louder 03.22.2012 04:34 AM

Nostalgia, Ultra. over and over again.

EVOLghost 03.22.2012 04:48 AM

Shouldn't you be asleep dood?

louder 03.22.2012 05:25 AM

^^^timezones are one hell of a drug..

top 5 of all time. rawkin' it. :cool:

EVOLghost 03.22.2012 05:56 AM

Shit, nevermind I think I confused you with someone else. (foreverasskiss)

stu666 03.22.2012 07:02 AM

(vinyl)

gmku 03.22.2012 07:06 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to stu666 again.
Great boot. I need pull out my copy tonight for a spin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

Genteel Death 03.22.2012 07:43 AM

http://images.quickblogcast.com/9839...bels4.jpg?a=49
y request, here is a obscure and rare one from the Chicago area. Thanks to blog commenter C.S. for providing the rips! I do not have a vinyl copy of this record and not many people do, as it is rumored that only 200 copies were pressed and none had sleeves. The price reflects its rarity, as copies recently on the- ahem- "open market" have been priced between $200 and $400 (!).

I know nothing about the band and information on the internet is scant. The band has a MySpace page that was created in late 2007 (wonder what the impetus for that was), but they have not logged into it for almost 3 years the last time I checked. The MySpace page has some songs you can stream, and two of these were not on the EP. Somewhere else I stumbled upon the face that one of the band members also went by the name "Sid Hussein Hartha". Pentaject Corporation turned into a band called Scopdom Scop, which you can see on their MySpace page, was some experimental weirdness.

C.S. told me that Pentaject Corporation was apparently a cassette-only band (anyone have any of these?!?) and that this 4-song EP was supposed to be a "best of" from their cassettes. The band has been listed as being from Chicago, but I don’t know if they were actually from the Chicago city limits or one of the many suburbs in the Chicagoland area, as was the case with bands from the area in the late 70's and early 80's time period.

It turns out that there actually WAS a real company in the late 70's called Pentaject Corporation that holds some manufacturing patents- ha! They were located in a ho-hum Chicagoland suburb called Algonquin that's about 40 miles Northwest of the city.

Musically, the EP is a DIY-ish affair and it has an "outsider" kind of quality to it which is nice. The first track, "Blackmail Stretch", the shortest track on the record, is a slower affair and has some keyboards and a drum machine interspersed in the mix. The next track, "Clamp Is Up", is played with real instruments and is an interesting one with some subtle guitar noise that is kinda hypnotic. The most upbeat track on the EP comes next with "What A Day" and is the closest thing to what we call "punk" (it's my favorite song on the EP too). There is some great shouting and a charming, no-talent guitar solo in the middle of it that begs for more practice- I always love guitar mastery like this. The last track, "Shock Treatment...", has some catchy bass noodling and is in the same vein as "What A Day". Nice ender. I have no clue what the singer is saying throughout most of the record and this adds to the charm and mysteriousness of it all. As does the production value.

If you know anything about the band, please leave a comment and let me know. I am curious to find out more, especially what (if any) connection they had to the Chicago area punk "scene". Or maybe they were kings of their own basement and never played many shows (?). You tell me.
http://punkbusinessmanager.com/2011/...rporation.aspx

Pelle 03.22.2012 07:59 AM

Confusion Is Sex on my iPod.

stu666 03.22.2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfeatencake

must spread....

louder 03.22.2012 09:28 AM

this guy is heavily influenced by '05-'06 Wayne. pretty doap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SABbIUFkPTs

louder 03.22.2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
great summertime album.

love "hell's wind staff/killah hills". someone should make a movie out of that song.

spread some wealthy reputation

probably the best solo project to come outta the Wu.
Fishscale, Supreme Clientele & obviously OB4CL are extremely close though.

Return to the 36 Chambers is kinda underrated.

Murmer99 03.22.2012 01:06 PM

"only the good die young"

Pelle 03.22.2012 05:07 PM

gmku 03.22.2012 06:23 PM

I'm resequencing (home taping) Lost Tracks and Rare Cuts LP by MBV as follows:

Cowboy Song
Good for You
Just Like Us
Instrumental 1
The Time of the Day
Map Reference...
Instrumental 2
We Have All the Time in the World
Sugar
Glider

Seriously, sequencing makes a difference in how an album sounds. I don't know why whoever put together this material was so sloppy about it. Piss poor album art, piss poor song sequencing. Sonic quality is good overall, though, and the vinyl pressing seems decent enough for a bootleg, and in fact, quite excellent for a bootleg. But this material deserves better treatment in the packaging area. I might look into trying to re-create some more appropriate cover art for this.

Murmer99 03.22.2012 06:53 PM

I'm listening to the loud squawks of headless victims obeying my commands to write cryptic messages (using their own blood) on my walls with undertones of necrophilia. Several of them have suffered severe injuries to the brain. They have been convinced they're on the inside of a UFO preparing for the culmination of the most crucial and perverse procedures imaginable. One is an experienced doctor who has slaughtered 749 of his patients.

gmku 03.22.2012 06:56 PM

I sold that one back to the record store within about a week after I bought it, I hated it so much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfeatencake

Murmer99 03.22.2012 06:58 PM

Montreal

gmku 03.22.2012 07:00 PM

NICE!!!

E. Noisefield 03.22.2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
probably the best solo project to come outta the Wu.
Fishscale, Supreme Clientele & obviously OB4CL are extremely close though.

Return to the 36 Chambers is kinda underrated.

No that would be Cuban Linx. But Liquid Swords is definitely number 2. Honestly I've never been that big on Ghostface's solo stuff. It's great and very user friendly, but not comparable to these two.

pad_023 03.22.2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
No that would be Cuban Linx. But Liquid Swords is definitely number 2. Honestly I've never been that big on Ghostface's solo stuff. It's great and very user friendly, but not comparable to these two.

Has anyone heard the RZA's ghostdog soundtrack (Japanese version)? That's a pretty solid wu solo release. Gravediggaz are also excellent. Liquid Swords has always been my personal favourite.

louder 03.23.2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

never checked out anymore Ghostface Killah after Ironman. it sucks. yeah

woah, you're missing out.. Ghostface is easily the best rapper who's doing that emotional flow without sounding like a pussy.

listen to both Supreme Clientele & Fishscale as soon as possible, trust me!!

louder 03.23.2012 02:20 AM

Pookie 03.23.2012 06:54 AM

Another charity shop buy:

louder 03.23.2012 08:59 AM

and then

Murmer99 03.23.2012 12:01 PM

pad_023 03.23.2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

i love the Gravediggaz. :)

they have two of my favorite hip hop songs---- "Deadliest Biz" and "Unexplained"----both off their worst album.

6 Feet Deep is an all-time classic.

never checked out anymore Ghostface Killah after Ironman. it sucks. yeah

Return to the 36 chambers
Liquid Swords
OBFCL(Ghost is good on this though)

are fave Wu solo projects for sure.

Yeah, love 6 Feet Deep.

Horrorcore at its finest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sii9V...eature=related

I have never listened to anything else they have released, I should probably check it out sometime.

Ketamines - Line By Line

E. Noisefield 03.23.2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Ooooh... what's this, then?

E. Noisefield 03.23.2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

woah, you're missing out.. Ghostface is easily the best rapper who's doing that emotional flow without sounding like a pussy.

listen to both Supreme Clientele & Fishscale as soon as possible, trust me!!

That's a good way to describe him. But it's like he *should* sound like a pussy. Fishscale is good though.

louder 03.23.2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Ooooh... what's this, then?

Section.80 by Dr. Dre's new boy, Kendrick Lamar. he's a beast.

the ikara cult 03.23.2012 01:59 PM

gmku 03.23.2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Section.80 by Dr. Dre's new boy, Kendrick Lamar. he's a beast.

Now here's a case where the artist and title are on the cover, but it was still unclear to somebody. And I can see why--it's not obvious.

People! Be courteous! Include the name and artist of the album in your post! I'm getting a little tired of saying this.

keep poppin pimples 03.23.2012 02:35 PM

if you right click it the file is called kendrick-lamar-section-80-cover.jpg

anyways i like his pipe

the ikara cult 03.23.2012 02:52 PM

This might be my favourite slice of Ashtray Navigations ever. All the best elements of his work. Wish id snapped up a Vinyl copy when I could.

Deadicated to the sensory armada

Listen there, buy there my pretties.

keep poppin pimples 03.23.2012 04:37 PM

E. Noisefield 03.23.2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult

Ok, great album, but you should say who it's by and give its title, for people who don't know.

This is an album by YELLOW SWANS called AT ALL ENDS and it is awesome :)

the ikara cult 03.23.2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Ok, great album, but you should say who it's by and give its title, for people who don't know.

This is an album by YELLOW SWANS called AT ALL ENDS and it is awesome :)

alright Luv, keep your knickers on.

It does sound particularly ecstatic on new headphones, especially Our Oases and Mass Mirage. Its one of the most perfectly produced albums ive ever heard.

the ikara cult 03.23.2012 06:45 PM

Great front cover, great album.

the ikara cult 03.23.2012 06:59 PM

and the most mind-expanding 3-piece in the history of music