Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

h8kurdt 09.27.2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I liked the concept but if I have one criticism, it's that I felt Jeremy Renner and Forrest Whitaker (I'm a big fan of both) were wasted slightly in roles that could've been played by pretty much anyone.

As for not being blown away, I liked it but I thought Interstellar (while different in many ways) was a better film, certainly in terms of its emotional weight.

Nah. I thought the message for Interstellar was just too heavy handed and therefore cheesy because of it.

Saw this last night and you know what? I actually thought it was pretty decent. I've red reviews saying it's the "worst film of all time" which is mental. Fact is, even if you didn't like it's message or what it was doing all the actors were first rate, especially the females. Jennifer Lawrence is one of those I don't want to like but she was brilliant in this.

!@#$%! 09.27.2017 12:29 PM

i need to catch up with the moobys. been too long trapped in a TV prison, due to heavy workload (45 min shows are easy to schedule in a cramped day/ between chores)

since winter is coming and things got COLD here i'm switching to tragedies and horror.

any recommendations for the season? i'll be looking and the halloween/horror things suggested last year that i missed (like-- necrophiliac, or something-- ha ha ha ha-- dead german dicks).

but serious tragedies also welcome, eh. not just b movies or classic horror.

h8kurdt 09.27.2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i need to catch up with the moobys. been too long trapped in a TV prison, due to heavy workload (45 min shows are easy to schedule in a cramped day/ between chores)

since winter is coming and things got COLD here i'm switching to tragedies and horror.

any recommendations for the season? i'll be looking and the halloween/horror things suggested last year that i missed (like-- necrophiliac, or something-- ha ha ha ha-- dead german dicks).

but serious tragedies also welcome, eh. not just b movies or classic horror.

I've been the same. Too much work, climbing and football has meant I've been totally out the loop with films. So yeah, can't give you any recent recommendations sorry.

demonrail666 09.27.2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

serious tragedies

Give an example of the kind of thing you're thinking of.

!@#$%! 09.27.2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Give an example of the kind of thing you're thinking of.

e.g. macbeth! (the musical, lol) --- or any modern versions thereof
(i'm about to restart house of cards which is ... richard the 3rd? or something) (it's not really a musical, it's just a word joke)

but anything with an unhappy ending, really. romances gone to hell like betty blue or bad timing or those anti-sex tales of eroticism gone awry. things that end in death/loss/defeat. in northrop fry's words, "the death of the hero."

the exception to "tragedy" being proper horror movies where the gore and disaster overwhelm any "heroism" by the survivors.

thanks in advance!

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I've been the same. Too much work, climbing and football has meant I've been totally out the loop with films. So yeah, can't give you any recent recommendations sorry.

not necessarily recent. old works too-- better even cuz i can rent a disk or stream instead of buying a 2 movie tickets plus plus plus.

!@#$%! 09.27.2017 02:45 PM

ps- was reviewing my list and will be bumping up "the witch" and "the love witch" (so many!)

demonrail666 09.27.2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

things that end in death/loss/defeat.

I'll keep it to the horror stuff, just to keep it tied in with the halloween thing, and stick to more recent ones. The film I mentioned in the last page, The Forest, might fit the bill. Top of the list for downer-horror though has to be The Mist, Eden Lake and Martyrs. Also The Descent (but make sure it has the British, not US ending). Perfect for any feel-bad Halloween night.

For earlier stuff. Tonnes of American horror from the 70s, especially Romero and Cronenberg. And Carpenter's The Thing, of course.

!@#$%! 09.27.2017 04:15 PM

oh hell yeah, thanks. romero deserves a special mini-festival this year.

cronenberg requires no recommendation with me, but good reminder, i actually moved CRASH up in my list earlier today (have seen it but worth a rewatch with that whole sex/death thing that must follow the summer "romance" genre).

carpenter i need to see more. will look after THE THING!

also, the ones in your previous paragraph. and yeah, US endings generally suck terribly.

(for miserable endings, the french are experts, ha ha ha)

Rob Instigator 09.27.2017 04:28 PM

Les Enfants du Paradis, my fave French film, has a heavy downer ending... great movie though. Love the "anarchist"

evollove 09.27.2017 04:32 PM

Go on a Harry Dean Stanton binge.

!@#$%! 09.27.2017 04:34 PM

oh hell yeah, garance! that movie was a fucked up story. great story tho. and yeah french ending lol

!@#$%! 09.27.2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Go on a Harry Dean Stanton binge.

hm....

not all are tragedies though

in paris texas he becomes hero-- just for one day

in wild at heart the hyenas eat him but the movie itself is a "romance" probably. in pretty in pink he's a loser but same thing.

etc.

so many movies though!

genre. northrop. myths and shit.

h8kurdt 09.27.2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

I'll keep it to the horror stuff, just to keep it tied in with the halloween thing, and stick to more recent ones. The film I mentioned in the last page, The Forest, might fit the bill. Top of the list for downer-horror though has to be The Mist, Eden Lake and Martyrs. Also The Descent (but make sure it has the British, not US ending). Perfect for any feel-bad Halloween night.

For earlier stuff. Tonnes of American horror from the 70s, especially Romero and Cronenberg. And Carpenter's The Thing, of course.

*Shudder* fuck that film. Fucked me up for days that did. I can be pretty out there in my taste, but man, that was out there

demonrail666 09.27.2017 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
*Shudder* fuck that film. Fucked me up for days that did. I can be pretty out there in my taste, but man, that was out there

Yeah, shudder is right. Evil film.

!@#$%! 09.27.2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Yeah, shudder is right. Evil film.

sounds like the right thing to watch in the christmas season...

right up to the solstice when the sun is nearly dead... yeah

then of course the life of brian

!@#$%! 09.27.2017 05:51 PM

wait... martyrs 2008 or martyrs 2016?

ETA: FRENCH VERSION NOT AMERICAN! FUCKING ... GAAAAAAH! !@#@#!@#!

LifeDistortion 09.28.2017 12:51 AM

Martyrs and now Inside have both had American remakes that have had little to no hype around them, because the original French films were so damn good and unique in their own way, if you have not seen either of these movies seek out the original French versions. Neither are hard to find.

demonrail666 09.29.2017 08:10 PM

The Void

Probably my favourite of the recent crop of 80s throwback movies (It Follows, House of the Devil, etc). Fans of films like The Beyond and The Thing will be in heaven.

tw2113 09.29.2017 09:30 PM

Dead Poets Society.

Severian 09.30.2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

The Void

Probably my favourite of the recent crop of 80s throwback movies (It Follows, House of the Devil, etc). Fans of films like The Beyond and The Thing will be in heaven.

Oooooooh! Whassis? Thanks for the rec!