Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Severian 10.23.2017 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty bunny
I absolutely ADORE Hellbound: Hellraiser II. It's just so fucking weird I love it (Phantasm is the only other movie I can think of that is as insane as this, and I love it too). I gave it 5 stars out of 5
I think Hellraiser 3 was okay but I honestly haven't watched any of the movies beyond that. Maybe I should do that some day.

NO! Don’t! No! Do not watch any Hellraiser movies after Hellbound!

Seriously man, your enjoyment of the franchise is at stake here. I know you’ve seen and somehow like??? Hellraiser III, (must have seen it a few decades ago... maybe in early high school?) but VENTURE NO FURTHER!!!

The ideal play is to watch Hellraiser and Hellbound and then STOP RIGHT FUCKING THERE to preserve your appreciation for the awesome weirdness of those two great movies.

Promise me... PROMISE me you will not watch another single solitary frame of any post-1990 Hellraiser film. It’s for your own good! I envy the fuck out of you.

deflinus 10.23.2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

Seriously man, your enjoyment of the franchise is at stake here. I know you’ve seen and somehow like??? Hellraiser III, (must have seen it a few decades ago... maybe in early high school?) but VENTURE NO FURTHER!!!

The ideal play is to watch Hellraiser and Hellbound and then STOP RIGHT FUCKING THERE to preserve your appreciation for the awesome weirdness of those two great movies.

Promise me... PROMISE me you will not watch another single solitary frame of any post-1990 Hellraiser film. It’s for your own good! I envy the fuck out of you.

Yea Hellbound is so fucking bat shit crazy that it becomes incredible

tw2113 10.23.2017 09:04 PM

Heavenly Creatures

dirty bunny 10.23.2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

haha they're really that bad huh? well in that case I guess I can resist the urge

greenlight 10.25.2017 12:16 AM

I have never seen Stranger Then Paradise. so is it good yeah?

ilduclo 10.25.2017 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight

Jarmuch, so, yeah.

LifeDistortion 10.26.2017 10:17 AM

I've been watching a horror movie a day for October. This past week I watched He Never Died. I thought that was pretty good. The Host which I've been putting off seeing. I do like Bong Joon Ho's movies. The Host was great. Then I watched Sun Choke, fantastic thriller.

Severian 10.26.2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight

Absolute must-watch film. No bullshit. Seriously. Check it out.

!@#$%! 10.26.2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt

Watched this again last night. It was someone else's choice as he'd never seen it before and I wasn't relishing the idea of watching this again. Honestly, both Truffaut and the/ film are massively overrated. To mind boggling levels at that

i meant to ask this a long time ago but—really, overrated? or more like— has it been absorbed so much into the language of film and the culture it’s hard to see it anymore for what it was?

greenlight 10.26.2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

Absolute must-watch film. No bullshit. Seriously. Check it out.

I will check it out.

_tunic_ 10.26.2017 01:39 PM

this movie was on TV last week, actually only saw the last half of it but I liked it a lot. Yes it's outdated (it's from 1971), but amazingly enough, the animations seemed to be less so than the actual actors. And it stars Angela Lansbury, which was the reason that I didn't watch it completely. But she turned out quite alright as well.

demonrail666 10.26.2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i meant to ask this a long time ago but—really, overrated? or more like— has it been absorbed so much into the language of film and the culture it’s hard to see it anymore for what it was?

I'm not the biggest fan of that particular film but I disagree that Truffaut is overrated. If anything I'd say he's unfairly overshadowed by Godard, who was more innovative and made some brilliant films but nothing as brilliant as 400 Blows. IMO.

tw2113 10.26.2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

this movie was on TV last week, actually only saw the last half of it but I liked it a lot. Yes it's outdated (it's from 1971), but amazingly enough, the animations seemed to be less so than the actual actors. And it stars Angela Lansbury, which was the reason that I didn't watch it completely. But she turned out quite alright as well.

Always a good viewing in my mind, though I don't watch it constantly by any means.

h8kurdt 10.27.2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

Man, I watched this film so many times when I was a kid.

Quote:

Nope. Overrated.

400 Blows is good, I'll give you that. However that's the exception for me. I don't find the stories he chooses/writes interesting. For me, both Truffaut and Godard's total love for American films, gangster films especially, just come across as poor imitations. Whether it be Shoot The Piano Player by Truffaut or Alphaville (shudder) by Godard I watch them and think "Nah, I'd rather watch any other American noir"

Don't me wrong there are interesting moments in Jules et Jim. The montage of real WWI footage being the highlight for me. However, too much just bores me.

There's a difference between characters you don't like and characters that don't interest you. For the characters in Jules et Jim it's very much the latter.

Severian 10.27.2017 11:48 AM

Wow. I’m surprised by the Bedknobs & Broomsticks fandom here.

evollove 10.27.2017 12:05 PM

The Big Sick

Ruined by the hype. I heard nothing but great things, expected to be blown away, but it's a quiet, well-made little film with a few plot holes and some good laughs. No one mentioned any of that.

Need something funny to watch this weekend. What?

!@#$%! 10.27.2017 12:27 PM

i vaguely remember that flying bed from infancy. only vaguely. i really don’t know shit about it.

as for jules et jim i gotta run and can’t argue this one right now. won’t argue personal tastes though. but just to say that there was a before and an after these movies.

funny that we’re talking about stranger than paradise at the same time because clearly it’s the american offspring

ok gotta run but... yeah

ps- melville! does it better

ilduclo 10.27.2017 03:49 PM

Big Sick was pretty well OK. Agree, nothin special. Also on that list, Trainspotting 2. A few Welshian moments, but kind of buried in a feel good story line. Welsh does do a pretty fine soliloquy on modern times, though...

demonrail666 10.27.2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
there was a before and an after these movies.

Good way of putting it.

Severian 10.27.2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
Big Sick was pretty well OK. Agree, nothin special. Also on that list, Trainspotting 2. A few Welshian moments, but kind of buried in a feel good story line. Welsh does do a pretty fine soliloquy on modern times, though...

Tell me true: does it justify its own existence?

I’ve seen the original Trainspotting exactly ONE time, and thought it was brilliant, such was the impression it left on me. It’s hard to think of a movie that needed a sequel less than Trainspotting. Career high for all involved. It would have to do some pretty wild shit to even convince me that if needed to be made.

So, did it?