Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Severian 12.08.2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
hey Severfian, annihilation issues in hollywood https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-hollywoo...-ca-1821097891

I don’t like this bullshit about test scores. This movie should be weird and unsettling as fuck. If people were unsettled, I’d say that’s a win. The book is weird and unsettling as fuck, and no effort was made to make the Biologist seem “sympathetic.”

Ugh.

Coming up though!

Severian 12.08.2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Last night I watched a foreign movie on Netflix called Skins, a dark-comedy fantasy about a cast of characters with deformities of the sort that aren't based on any actual ones. For instance one woman has no eyes. Some of the humor can go to some rather gross areas, it almost feels like something John Waters might conceive of, whether you find that to be a good thing or a bad thing I leave to you. I think its worth a watch.

There’s another Skins on Netflix that’s about a bunch of super horny British nerds getting it on.

ilduclo 12.08.2017 10:31 AM

^ "Ellison became concerned that the movie was “too intellectual” and “too complicated” and wanted changes made to make it appeal to a wider audience."

gotta dumbdown for the 8 year old demograpic

could be a good one for future directors cut releases when/if

Rob Instigator 12.08.2017 11:05 AM

the people complaining about the test screening have probably never read the book.

Severian 12.08.2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
^ "Ellison became concerned that the movie was “too intellectual” and “too complicated” and wanted changes made to make it appeal to a wider audience."

gotta dumbdown for the 8 year old demograpic

could be a good one for future directors cut releases when/if

Dude... this movie is not for 8-year-olds. Nor is the book. It’s essentially really triply psychological body horror, with a twist of Lovecraft and a little bit of... I dunno... Graft vs. Host? Hard to explain, but no 8-year-olds should be watching or reading this.

I’d say it’s dark enough that it should be marketed exclusively to adult audiences. Thematically, it won’t be a crowd-pleaser for high school kids either, I expect.

Severian 12.08.2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the people complaining about the test screening have probably never read the book.

Yeah. Probably.

Anyway, I trust the creative team. I know all the actors had to read the book, and Alex Garland is the man. He had the sense to hire Geoff Barrow for the score, and they’re all fans of the book.

tw2113 12.11.2017 01:07 AM

Started some of my favorite A Christmas Carol movies tonight.

Ending this day with the 1984 version starring George C. Scott.

Bytor Peltor 12.11.2017 03:35 AM

War for the Planet of the Apes

Rob Instigator 12.11.2017 10:10 AM

Watched Logan. I liked it. but my wife did not cuz she said it was a downer hahaha

Severian 12.11.2017 11:11 AM

I finally watched Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2.

It was pretty light on story, and also big-time fucked with the comic books (Ego is absolutely NOT Peter Quill’s fucking father). But it was fun and colorful and had some cool music syncs.

Lazy script though. Especially for Chris Pratt’/Peter Quill. I felt like he was thinking about other things when he was delivering lines. Is he just a shit actor after all? I dunno. He was totally phoning it in.

Not as good as the first. Sort of disappointed that they went hardcore comedy instead of digging a little deeper. But whatever... it was fun.

demonrail666 12.11.2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

pa- any more absurd comedies and ridiculousness please recommend

satire preferred but no mandatory

Not really a comedy but I rewatched Peter Greenaway's The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover the other day: a great satire on 80s excesses.

Rob Instigator 12.11.2017 12:03 PM

man I hated that movie when it came out. Still do.

demonrail666 12.11.2017 12:06 PM

I blow hot and cold with Greenaway's stuff but that's one I really like.

evollove 12.11.2017 12:10 PM

What others ones are you hot about?

I used to love him. Sort of. But this was over a decade ago when I was a full-fledged cinephile, which I'm not now at all. Still, I think about him now and then.

!@#$%! 12.11.2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Not really a comedy but I rewatched Peter Greenaway's The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover the other day: a great satire on 80s excesses.

o man! i haven’t seen that in ages. victory through defeat, or something. i might rewatch— it’s the season! ha ha ha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I blow hot and cold with Greenaway's stuff but that's one I really like.

i used to be nuts about the pillow book mostly due to a massive crush on vivian wu, but i don’t know how i’d feel about it today.

zoo i watched recently, and thought it great though.

and 26 bathrooms is one of my favorite short films.

but i hated the belly of an architect when i saw it. that one was also ages ago. i felt the author was unfair to his character. but i’d have to look at it again and see what’s what.

evollove 12.11.2017 04:39 PM

Not that I'm hugely emotionally invested in the Golden Globes, but I am a bit upset that GET OUT didn't get more love.

I actually haven't seen too many of the other noms, so if there really are 5 screenplays better than GET OUT, then we're living in some magical age.

Severian 12.11.2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Not that I'm hugely emotionally invested in the Golden Globes, but I am a bit upset that GET OUT didn't get more love.

I actually haven't seen too many of the other noms, so if there really are 5 screenplays better than GET OUT, then we're living in some magical age.

It got a best picture musical/comedy nod. Which is weird, because isn’t it a fucking horror movie?

Still haven’t seen it.

I’m pissed that Blade Runner 2049 didn’t get any nominations. Fucking ridiculous. Makes Mad Max Fury Road look like lame ass shit.

Also, Patty Jenkins may not deserve an actual Oscar for Wonder Woman— and the film, while fun, certainly doesn’t deserve a Best Picture nom— but Jenkins should absolutely get a Best Director nod for making gold out of shit, and beating the hell out of her male contemporaries at their own game.

Hopefully the Oscars don’t make these mistakes. I hope Dunkirk wins, but Blade Runner deserves a nod. No question. And Deakins OWNS cinematography. Fuck everyone else.

(Haven’t seen Dunkirk either, just .... Nolan deserves an Oscar. He’s made the best picture of several different years now, and only garnered a nomination for Inception, which isn’t his strongest.)

!@#$%! 12.11.2017 05:59 PM

forgot to say, watched OFFICE CHRISTMAS PARTY over the weekend.

it was total shit of course, which was the point. most of it was decent enough comedy except at the end when they have to have some heroic bullshit to justify their existence or something—the required happy ending. but otherwise yeah some cheap laughs i did not mind with a drink.

demonrail666 12.12.2017 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
o man! i haven’t seen that in ages. victory through defeat, or something. i might rewatch— it’s the season! ha ha ha.

i used to be nuts about the pillow book mostly due to a massive crush on vivian wu, but i don’t know how i’d feel about it today.

zoo i watched recently, and thought it great though.

and 26 bathrooms is one of my favorite short films.

but i hated the belly of an architect when i saw it. that one was also ages ago. i felt the author was unfair to his character. but i’d have to look at it again and see what’s what.

I don't know why but I sort of stopped watching him after Cook. Prosporo's Books, Baby of Macon, Pillow Book didn't really appeal to me and I just sort of ignored him from the 90s onwards, re watching the older ones I liked but nothing new. He's popular in France and think that's where most of his funding is from now. He seems to have disappeared off the map in Britain though, despite being as prolific now as he's ever been. Have you seen The Draughtsman's Contract? I can see you liking that.

evollove 12.12.2017 06:25 AM

I couldn't even finish 9 1/2 Women (1999) and realized I was sort of done with him.

He was doing installation stuff at galleries for awhile, and still might.

And what's this?

The Tulse Luper Suitcases is a multimedia project by Peter Greenaway, initially intended to comprise four films, three "source" and one feature, a 16-episode TV series, and 92 DVDs, as well as Web sites, CD-ROMs and books.

And seems like he's made a few interesting "normal" films since I last checked in on him.

Nightwatching is a 2007 film about the artist Rembrandt and the creation of his painting The Night Watch. The film is directed by Peter Greenaway and stars Martin Freeman as Rembrandt.

The film is described by co-producer Jean Labadie as "a return to the Greenaway of The Draughtsman's Contract."[1] It features Greenaway's trademark neoclassical compositions and graphic sexuality.

I'd watch that.