Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

tw2113 12.18.2017 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
How’d you like Last Jedi?

I’m hearing some great reactions from critics, but oddly fans seem to be having mixed reactions.

I think I understand something about one of the film’s “reveals” or whatever, but I’m not sure. Just kind of guessing, based on poster art and some of the negative fan responses I’ve read.

I've enjoyed it. There are some plot parts to this one that I just don't have much vested interest in, but as a whole I approve.

Fans are batshit crazy. Some are saying it's continued a downward spiral, others are saying it's one of the best installments yet. Make your own judgement, see it.

Rob Instigator 12.19.2017 11:57 AM

watched Episode I ("Yipeee!") and it was only 1/3 horror suck. any scene with Gundans is cringe, as well as the japanese and jewish stereotype aliens. I thought it was more interesting than good.

LifeDistortion 12.19.2017 02:49 PM

Watched I, Olga Hepnarova. Its on Netflix but probably wouldn't have considered it but I recently read John Waters' list of favorite movies of the past year and he listed this as he is second favorite movie. Its a great movie and the main actress, Michalina Olszanska gives a great performance. She also stars in that movie The Lure, which I've heard about awhile ago but have yet to see it, and now I'm eager to see that too.

Severian 12.19.2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
I've enjoyed it. There are some plot parts to this one that I just don't have much vested interest in, but as a whole I approve.

Fans are batshit crazy. Some are saying it's continued a downward spiral, others are saying it's one of the best installments yet. Make your own judgement, see it.

I have a feeling Luke is evil. I haven’t read any spoilers, I just feel that way. From the poster. And the mustache.

tw2113 12.19.2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

I have a feeling Luke is evil. I have read any spoilers, I just feel that way. From the poster. And the mustache.

*strokes chin*

!@#$%! 12.24.2017 06:14 PM

finally watched kubrick’s LOLITA and it was a disappointment. except for peter sellers who Wowwww!! amazing

dont know if this was before or after strangelove but it reminded me of that, which ive watched so many times. peter sellers = genius.

as a movie itself though... eh. didnt work for me. sorry kubrick!

also watched JOE VERSUS THE VOLCANO, which starts promising and ends up being so much 80s crapola. the whole ideology of it is fuckin trash. a poisonous fairytale. burn it.

RAN was of course magnificent as usual. fucking masterpiece.

now im ready to rewatch the great BRAZIL. which is my favorite christmas movie— as it truly captures the spirit of the season, ha ha ha ha. yes, it does.

Bytor Peltor 12.24.2017 10:36 PM

The Wizard Of Liles

Severian 12.24.2017 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
*strokes chin*

Whoops. Meant to say I *haven’t* read any spoilers.

Anyway, I thought Luke was going to be evil in Force Awakens, but it didn’t happen. It also didn’t *not* happen and the backstory didn’t sufficiently convince me that I was barking up the wrong tree.

Still haven’t seen it, and I’m avoiding all spoilers and reviews like crazy, but this is still my opinion.

Severian 12.24.2017 10:50 PM

Finally saw this.

Holy good god damn.

Just holy fuck.

This movie is not so much a movie as it is being a handed a parachute and tossed out of a plane. It’s goddamn brilliant in so many ways.

Best Picture lock. LOCK.

Severian 12.24.2017 11:01 PM

Oh and before Dunkirk I saw The Big Sick, which was really very good.

Good stuff. Solid performances, especially from Holly Hunter and — believe it or not — Ray Ramano!

Making my way through the Golden Globe best pic and prospective Oscar best pic noms, obviously.

I watched Get Out too, in case I forgot to mention that.

!@#$%! 12.25.2017 09:52 AM

currently have this shit on

it’s a stupid cartoon ha haha but okay

ilduclo 12.25.2017 05:06 PM

Wow, that seemed like it was 4 hours or so. Emo Vader or was that Edward Scissorvader?

Severian 12.25.2017 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
Wow, that seemed like it was 4 hours or so. Emo Vader or was that Edward Scissorvader?

Last Jedi?

ilduclo 12.25.2017 06:28 PM

I wish

!@#$%! 12.25.2017 09:43 PM

ha ha ha ha ha!

this shit’s mental

and i can’t believe this movie both lost money and got bad reviews. what the fuck people! missing the point completely. this is misunderstood genius.

can’t wait for machete kills again in space

Severian 12.26.2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

ha ha ha ha ha!

this shit’s mental

and i can’t believe this movie both lost money and got bad reviews. what the fuck people! missing the point completely. this is misunderstood genius.

can’t wait for machete kills again in space

Wait... is that going to be a thing? Machete in space?!

tw2113 12.26.2017 10:51 PM

Cannibal! The Musical

LifeDistortion 12.27.2017 01:07 AM

Shall we post our favorite movies of 2017? I'm curious how diverse they would be. Post a top 5 if you have them. Thinking movies that were released in 2017, more than a movie from the past that you saw for the first time this year. Just to clarify.

!@#$%! 12.27.2017 01:25 AM

Quote:

Wait... is that going to be a thing? Machete in space?!

kinda like moonraker and who knows what else

fingers crossed that it gets made

!@#$%! 12.27.2017 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Shall we post our favorite movies of 2017? I'm curious how diverse they would be. Post a top 5 if you have them. Thinking movies that were released in 2017, more than a movie from the past that you saw for the first time this year. Just to clarify.

the only new release i saw this year was wonder woman

i’ll have to answer your questions in a year or two as i catch up via netflix