Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Antagon 06.07.2013 10:45 AM

Torn Curtain 06.07.2013 11:25 AM

Björk - Post

Trama 06.07.2013 11:40 AM

NO VISITORS

by quttinirpaaq

http://quttinirpaaq.bandcamp.com/album/no-visitors

Quttinirpaaq, the shadowy Austin crew lead by Matt Turner, is back after a four year absence with their Rural Isolation Project debut No Visitors. Fans of Brainbombs, Skullflower, Les Rallizes Denudes or general lovers of speaker/inner ear destruction take note! Layers of in the red fuzz, feedback, vomit, claustrophobia, no eye contact, distorted 808 beats, extended sludge work outs, wind-up glam drums and suspicious voices from other rooms.

dale_gribble 06.07.2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
On a serious White Hills binge today. Seeing them tomorrow, really excited about it. Probably my favorite band in the country the last few years, and they have never been here before.

i had never heard of them but saw them live two days ago. they were pretty fucking good and later on the bassist almost spilled her food on me haha.

Severian 06.08.2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

and loving ever fucking sonic moment. its been long enough since I listened to this record in its entirety for me to have almost forgotten just how magical it is. Again, this is my all-time favorite Sonic Youth album, it contends in my top-ten of all time for any band/album some days ;)

Absolutely. It's not my actual favorite SY album, but I find that every time I listen to it (couple times a year maybe), I like it twice as much as I did the last time. So, in the 10 years since its release, it has gradually inched its way up about thirteen-fifteen spots (depending on what you consider an album)

I remember unwrapping it the day it came out, and playing it on the way to work. Hearing "Pattern Recognition" for the first time was one of the best listening experiences of my life, but for some reason I considered it my
least favorite Sonic Youth album for years. But I honesty have no idea why I felt that way. It's not quite as testosterone filled as most of the music that melted my 23 year old heart, but every listen brings about new revelations and insights about the album. A pretty triumphant album, in that it brought the DDN sound back, and meted it with the jammy, bohemian vibe that NYCG&F sparked and Murray Street perfected. It's really the go-to record for fans of the group's entire discography.

I started this post, abandoned it, and finished it over the course of well over 24 hours. Hopefully it makes sense, because I certainly am not going to proof read it.

Genteel Death 06.09.2013 02:27 AM

Trama 06.09.2013 08:58 AM

Wolfgang Voigt - Rückverzauberung 6 (Magazine 7)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw20q1vlVQQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgVu6dVAngY

sonic sphere 06.09.2013 01:06 PM

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.09.2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Absolutely. It's not my actual favorite SY album, but I find that every time I listen to it (couple times a year maybe), I like it twice as much as I did the last time. So, in the 10 years since its release, it has gradually inched its way up about thirteen-fifteen spots (depending on what you consider an album)

I remember unwrapping it the day it came out, and playing it on the way to work. Hearing "Pattern Recognition" for the first time was one of the best listening experiences of my life, but for some reason I considered it my
least favorite Sonic Youth album for years. But I honesty have no idea why I felt that way. It's not quite as testosterone filled as most of the music that melted my 23 year old heart, but every listen brings about new revelations and insights about the album. A pretty triumphant album, in that it brought the DDN sound back, and meted it with the jammy, bohemian vibe that NYCG&F sparked and Murray Street perfected. It's really the go-to record for fans of the group's entire discography.

I started this post, abandoned it, and finished it over the course of well over 24 hours. Hopefully it makes sense, because I certainly am not going to proof read it.

Great post! Revelations is exactly what that album is filled with, such great production, always something new layered in to discover. It is like A Thousand Leaves 2.0..

I also will never forget getting that album, I camped out in front of Aomeba Records to get it on release day to get a free ticket to the Troubador Album release show.. I ended getting dissed and yet blessed, so it was fantastic, and then when I put on the disc in my headphones walking back to the subway to head home, Pattern Recognition came on and I just about had a heart attack, it was simply that fantastic a tune. PR -> Unmade Bed -> Dripping Dream is an epic sequence belonging to the vaults of all time.

Torn Curtain 06.10.2013 12:16 PM

Ravel - Daphnis et Chloé (Boulez)

Severian 06.10.2013 08:53 PM

Oh yeah, and...

louder 06.11.2013 01:18 PM

Genteel Death 06.11.2013 02:14 PM

Cynthia Dall - Untitled (1996)

Rob Instigator 06.11.2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

I dig fully this Trans Am LP on the reg

Severian 06.11.2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I dig fully this Trans Am LP on the reg

It's easy to dig.

EVOLghost 06.11.2013 07:29 PM

must spread rep!

Trama 06.12.2013 05:05 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyI4LSss_vM

Trama 06.12.2013 05:35 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHcVkD7zF-M

Genteel Death 06.12.2013 12:21 PM

Cheater Slicks - On Your Knees

Genteel Death 06.13.2013 01:51 PM

Hollywood Autopsy - s/t

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.14.2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Much as ever, Hope manages to capture the essence of what Los Angeles music sounds like, whether its in 1994 or 2009. This album IS what every great band in LA sounded like from 2007-2011, dreary and ambient, female vocals, sometimes edgy guitar, crafty drum work. Niceness!

batreleaser 06.15.2013 12:50 PM

Dazzling Killmen-Recuerda

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.15.2013 01:27 PM

Sea of Cowards Dead Weather

And I don't like it. The instrumentation is brilliant, the vocals shit. Its like too much of bad Jack White has rubbed off on her, Horehound was more Memphis Bluesy which suited her better. I can only take doses of Jack White, which are more appreciable for me. I enjoy them in fact, with moderation. Allison is hit or miss, most of the Kills is absolute shit too, but a few of their tracks and the entirety of Horehound are fantastic. The stageshow for the tour of that album was also epic, that chick's stage presence just kicked my ass!! It was like an authentic version of what Courtney Love was going for in the mid-1990s.

Antagon 06.15.2013 06:26 PM

Baroque Bordello - No Killer, No Hunter

louder 06.16.2013 09:56 AM

louder 06.17.2013 04:34 AM

over and over again.

Trama 06.17.2013 05:20 AM

Cough Cool - 29
https://soundcloud.com/cough-cool/sets/29-1
http://batheticrecords.com/release/29/

sonic sphere 06.17.2013 02:17 PM

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.17.2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder

over and over again.

Meh.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.17.2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder

over and over again.

The lyrics are better than 99% of the music that pretends to be rap music these days, but I just don't really dig Kanye, neither his cadence or his approach, so I can tip my cap to albums like this, but I just ain't feelin it. I ain't feeling the beats, its not my steez, its that hyper-aggressive East-Coast style, more yelling than rapping. meh.

Here is what I want to know, why is the whole country jumping about this dude? I didn't get it when he blew up like 5 or 6 years ago, I don't get it today. I appreciate that the brotha brings some substance to pop err.. rap music, but really, that substance gets lost in translation across the millions of folks who really don't give a shit and just want to bump. If I want some pseudo-conscious political rap, I'll bump that DP y'all

_tunic_ 06.17.2013 02:34 PM

Low - Do You Know How to Waltz?
live at Rock the Garden

Trama 06.19.2013 09:06 AM

Bytor Peltor 06.19.2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Low - Do You Know How to Waltz?
live at Rock the Garden

ME too - thank YOU and Hipster for making it so easy to enjoy this!

Bytor Peltor 06.19.2013 11:42 AM

Being home alone for most of the day, I'm playing things through the home DVD theater system......up first is the DVD from this box-set.

1. "Jenny Ondioline" – UK promo
  2. "Ping Pong" – UK promo
  3. "Wow and Flutter" – UK promo
  4. "Cybele's Reverie" – UK promo
  5. "Fluorescences" – UK promo
  6. "Miss Modular" – UK promo
  7. "The Free Design" – UK promo
  8. "French Disko" – UK promo
  9. "The Noise of Carpet" – US promo
  10. "French Disko" – The Word
  11. "Cybele's Reverie" – Later with Jools Holland
  12. "Les Yper Sound" – Later with Jools Holland

EVOLghost 06.20.2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trama

same. This shit is so fucking killer.

pony 06.21.2013 04:58 AM

Genteel Death 06.21.2013 07:15 PM

Chrome - Alien Soundtracks

One of those albums that reminds me I'm alive again and again. Best band.

chocolate_ladyland 06.21.2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
i prefer this over the bowie mix and iggy remix.

I will throw down significant money for a proper Raw Power mix

Bytor Peltor 06.22.2013 09:12 AM

I listened to all of this early this morning while at work:

Pinkunicornnx 06.22.2013 09:21 PM

Cocteau Twins - Treasure