Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Genteel Death 06.23.2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkunicornnx
Cocteau Twins - Treasure

I've bought a vinyl version of 'Blue Bell Knoll'' on Friday. Such a kickass record.

louder 06.23.2013 01:18 PM

pony 06.24.2013 01:32 PM

_tunic_ 06.24.2013 02:01 PM

Mono @ http://vimeo.com/64254353

louder 06.24.2013 03:16 PM

GravitySlips 06.24.2013 07:51 PM

Recent enjoyment:

Peter Jefferies - Last Great Challenge in a Dull World
Augustus Pablo - King Tubby Meets the Rockers Uptown
Black Uhuru - Red
The Fall - Slates and Dragnet
The Congos - Heart of the Congos
The Mekons - Fear & Whiskey
Throwing Muses - s/t
Both Dazzling Killmen records.

Those dub/reggae records are pretty much my introduction to this music. The Congos' album was the first I got, but it's fucking incredible - I must've listened to it about 20 times since I got it just over a week ago. Really enjoying the Uhuru and Pablo records too. Anyone got some more good Jamaican records they can recommend?

Severian 06.24.2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder

Ah, yes. I was just feeling in the mood for this yesterday, couldn't find my copy, and listened to People's Instinctive Travels.. Instead. It's always been my favorite, having been the first I heard, but it did not hit the spot. Still good, but now I have a soul aching urge to hear marauders.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.24.2013 09:10 PM

Not only do I think this is their best album, but they are one of the few groups or bands to make their final record one of their finest! Talk about going out ontop!

I'm listening to this record for like the sixth time in the past two weeks. it is fantastic fucking record! I could listen to Sway like fifty times on repeat..

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySlips
The Congos - Heart of the Congos

Those dub/reggae records are pretty much my introduction to this music. The Congos' album was the first I got, but it's fucking incredible - I must've listened to it about 20 times since I got it just over a week ago. Really enjoying the Uhuru and Pablo records too. Anyone got some more good Jamaican records they can recommend?

The Heart of the Congos is one of the most mystical, spiritual, and yet political albums ever made of any genre, let alone rootz reggae. It is the encapsulation of Rastafari in record format, if anything the only stronger album is Rastafari by Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus ;)

Quote:

Its a long long time we a call to them, but I never get weary yes..

guest 06.25.2013 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySlips
Recent enjoyment:

I've been meaning to get further into dub too, it's just so imposing given the fact that they all had these massive catalogues. my personal favourite dub record would be king tubby meets the upsetter at the grass roots of dub, two masters of the form throwing ideas at each other with better rhythms and basslines than most others. also brilliant is scientist, his most famous record scientist rids the world of the evil curse of the vampires, which falls to the darker end of the spectrum but has an undeniable sense of humour to it. the overall best intro though is unquestionably lee scratch perry's arkology, the 9-minute version of roots train is fucking ecstasy.

never understood why this record copped so much shit, it's fucking insane. saw them playing flood live last week, that riff is still burned into my memory.

louder 06.25.2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Ah, yes. I was just feeling in the mood for this yesterday, couldn't find my copy, and listened to People's Instinctive Travels.. Instead. It's always been my favorite, having been the first I heard, but it did not hit the spot. Still good, but now I have a soul aching urge to hear marauders.

i just got my first turntable yesterday, and man there are so many LP's i'd like to cop, but i'm starting with the classics. already copped Illmatic and 36 Chambers, Midnight Marauders is definitely the next one. then The Chronic, Doggystyle, Liquid Swords, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (yes i'm mentioning it in the same breath), etc. i'm so excited. :D

Severian 06.25.2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
i just got my first turntable yesterday, and man there are so many LP's i'd like to cop, but i'm starting with the classics. already copped Illmatic and 36 Chambers, Midnight Marauders is definitely the next one. then The Chronic, Doggystyle, Liquid Swords, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (yes i'm mentioning it in the same breath), etc. i'm so excited. :D

It deserves to be in the same breath. If anything, you're honoring Doggystyle. I think the order is off completely, but that's just me. It's your breath.

Wait, no, Cuban Linx... Then the rest. :D

I really need Wu Tang Forever on vinyl. I have a very small hip hop vinyl selection, but if anythin's a must have, it's Forever, and definitely Midnight Marauders.

louder 06.25.2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

It deserves to be in the same breath. If anything, you're honoring Doggystyle. I think the order is off completely, but that's just me. It's your breath.

Wait, no, Cuban Linx... Then the rest. :D

I really need Wu Tang Forever on vinyl. I have a very small hip hop vinyl selection, but if anythin's a must have, it's Forever, and definitely Midnight Marauders.

Doggystyle was my first album ever. heard it when i was 11 years old. it has a special place in my heart. :)

EDIT: but yeah i might take your advice and cop Cuban Linx and Liquid Swords before the WC classix.

A Thousand Threads 06.25.2013 07:07 AM

There's a member of thought forms on this board, right?
good stuff!
Come play vienna sometime soon!

Antagon 06.25.2013 11:46 AM

GravitySlips 06.25.2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
I've been meaning to get further into dub too, it's just so imposing given the fact that they all had these massive catalogues. my personal favourite dub record would be king tubby meets the upsetter at the grass roots of dub, two masters of the form throwing ideas at each other with better rhythms and basslines than most others. also brilliant is scientist, his most famous record scientist rids the world of the evil curse of the vampires, which falls to the darker end of the spectrum but has an undeniable sense of humour to it. the overall best intro though is unquestionably lee scratch perry's arkology, the 9-minute version of roots train is fucking ecstasy.

Thanks for that!
I'm gonna order that Scientist record tonight, as I asked a friend of mine who's a big dub fan and he also said it's one to get. I'll check out that Grass Roots of Dub record too, sounds fantastic.

And fuck yeah, Arkology looks fantastic! Lee Scratch Perry seems like some sorta fuckin' genius, from what I read. His production job on the Congos record I mentioned is certainly sublime, that much I do know. Can't wait to get hold of Arkology.

SuchFriends - thanks for that, I can absolutely see where you're coming from with regards to The Heart of the Congos. Beautiful stuff. I'll try and get the other record you mentioned.

Rob Instigator 06.25.2013 01:12 PM

I had a friend who back in 1999, would spin dub in Austin at various functions. fucking awesome so loud out in the open air.

Bytor Peltor 06.25.2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

I've listened to this a couple of times over the few months I've had it.

However, it was today that I discovered the true brilliance of it.

stu666 06.25.2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads

There's a member of thought forms on this board, right?
good stuff!
Come play vienna sometime soon!

Yes! great band.

I saw them last week and made a recording. You can grab it here if you want: http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/20...013-06-17.html

pony 06.25.2013 06:31 PM

sonic sphere 06.26.2013 06:29 AM

Antagon 06.26.2013 04:22 PM

Public Image Ltd. - Tie Me To The Length Of That

Genteel Death 06.26.2013 04:30 PM

Nuclear Spring - Demo CS
Aine O'Dwyer - Music For Church Cleaners
Heatsick - Intersex
Various - Letters From the Front

sonic sphere 06.27.2013 08:11 AM

Bytor Peltor 06.27.2013 08:32 AM

Trama 06.27.2013 08:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quePQb6raB8

elix it 06.27.2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony

Good idea.

sonic sphere 06.28.2013 02:37 PM

Genteel Death 06.29.2013 04:25 AM

A Nunpod by Bruce Russell (Dead C and Xpressway Records) originally broadcasted on Volcano Radio in Lyttelton, community radio - live and local - www.volcanoradio.co.nz
https://soundcloud.com/flyingnunreco...ts-dance-1-2-3

Trama 06.29.2013 06:13 AM

https://soundcloud.com/sound-of-cobr...que-i-light-my
https://soundcloud.com/sound-of-cobr...ti-at-the-edge

Bytor Peltor 06.29.2013 08:13 AM

Watched / listened to this while at work:

dasx 06.29.2013 10:32 AM

Right now I'm listening to new Atoms For Peace album "Amok".

pad_023 06.29.2013 10:38 AM

Is this any good, I have been waiting for my copy for ages?

Torn Curtain 06.29.2013 11:39 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu5WM_t5M2E (thanks to stu :))

GravitySlips 06.30.2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
A Nunpod by Bruce Russell (Dead C and Xpressway Records) originally broadcasted on Volcano Radio in Lyttelton, community radio - live and local - www.volcanoradio.co.nz
https://soundcloud.com/flyingnunreco...ts-dance-1-2-3

Excellent, thanks for posting that.

raiinking 07.01.2013 10:49 AM

Purling Hiss

Severian 07.03.2013 08:30 PM

Holydrug Couple, Pure X, Warpaint and MF Doom.

That was my day.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.03.2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasx
Right now I'm listening to new Atoms For Peace album "Amok".

That album has such terrible production so as to make it basically unlistenable. However, search for live versions of Atoms For Peace, particularly circa 2009. They are fantastic shows, I can totally see why they tried to make an album, but Thom let that terrible The Eraser shit creep into the studio again, that same bullshit that almost ruined King of Limbs. Live King of Limbs is superb as well.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.03.2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Warpaint

My God War Pain is epic. So few Los Angeles bands make it big (Doors, tool, Rage Against the Machine, Guns and Roses, System of a Down, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Sublime, Weezer, technically Van Halen, Frank Zappa) though we have a lot of really great bands. A lot of great indie and niche bands have come from LA, but we have rarely had "scenes" like New York, Chicago, Memphis, or Seattle.

War Paint is part of our mid-2000s "scene". EVERY local band from Long Beach to Glendale, from Gardena to Culver City, from Silverlake to South Central, sounds like that. Chick vocals? Check. Dreary, ambient, shoegazish guitar work? Check. Dramatic drumwork? Check. Too much reverb? Check. Vocal harmonies? Check. Keyboard? Check. Its almost like our bands combined all of those above LA bands I mentioned with Mazzy Star to form some LA hybrid.

In my opinion tool is our greatest gift to music, and Rage Against the Machine could have been. The Doors? Shit. That is too trippy for the masses, but so is a lot of LA drug culture ;)

Severian 07.04.2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
My God War Pain is epic. So few Los Angeles bands make it big (Doors, tool, Rage Against the Machine, Guns and Roses, System of a Down, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Sublime, Weezer, technically Van Halen, Frank Zappa) though we have a lot of really great bands. A lot of great indie and niche bands have come from LA, but we have rarely had "scenes" like New York, Chicago, Memphis, or Seattle.

War Paint is part of our mid-2000s "scene". EVERY local band from Long Beach to Glendale, from Gardena to Culver City, from Silverlake to South Central, sounds like that. Chick vocals? Check. Dreary, ambient, shoegazish guitar work? Check. Dramatic drumwork? Check. Too much reverb? Check. Vocal harmonies? Check. Keyboard? Check. Its almost like our bands combined all of those above LA bands I mentioned with Mazzy Star to form some LA hybrid.

In my opinion tool is our greatest gift to music, and Rage Against the Machine could have been. The Doors? Shit. That is too trippy for the masses, but so is a lot of LA drug culture ;)

Whoah, really? You think Tool is LA's greatest gift to music?

What about the independent hip hop scene out there. Madlib and Peanut Butter Wolf/Stones Throw, FlyLo, etc? They're at least near enough to LA to consider it home.

I have avoided LA like the plague since the mid '90s. Last time I was there I flew threw, had a layover, caught an Angels game, and bounced the next morning. I have no interest in that city.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.04.2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Whoah, really? You think Tool is LA's greatest gift to music?

Yes, yes I do.