Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

!@#$%! 09.24.2018 07:25 PM

oh yes i think the same thing happens with actors—apparently english actors are preferred because unlike americans they behave like workers not divas. something to do with their training and upbringing.

and now you have me wondering... who is paul greengrass? ha ha ha ha

i gotta go look

ps i think im not a figgis fan but i’ll have to check

ah yes no

not a greengrass either

sam mendes i like a little better—american beauty alone justifies him for me

demonrail666 09.25.2018 03:41 AM

To be fair, Paul Greengrass' background in documentary definitely informs films like United 93 and Captain Phillips (both of which I liked a lot). I don't think I've seen any Bourne films to say if it's the case there but I suspect not.

Ridley Scott (and his brother Tony - Top Gun) and Alan Parker started in advertising so that might explain why they're comfortable moving almost anonymously from project to project. Same with Adrien Lyne (Flashdance, 9 1/2 Weeks, etc) but his glossy visual style is a definite signature that runs through all his films, even if, thematically they seem to have little in common.

!@#$%! 09.25.2018 07:30 AM

oh yeah alan parker. my teenage years were haunted by cult rewatches of the pink floyd movie. ha ha ha ha.

ultimately riddley scott is the one who picked the most interesting stories of the lot i think.

except for boorman. i wanna watch more boorman. exorcist 3? didnt know there was such a thing lol. yes i dont expect anything great, just curious.

demonrail666 09.25.2018 08:37 AM

Boorman made Exorcist II: The Heretic, but had nothing to do with 3:a far better film, with one of the scariest moments in any horror movie. (Anyone who's seen it will know the bit I'm talking about.) Whereas Boorman's Exorcist II is widely regarded as one of the stupidest, most wrong-headed films ever. I've shown it to friends who were aware it's meant to be bad but their jaw hit the floor when they discovered just how terrible it actually is. It regularly features in lists of the worst films ever made, and for good reason. One of the most unintentionally hilarious films you'll ever see. Richard Burton was apparently paralytic throughout the entire production and allegedly only did it to pay for his divorce from Liz Taylor.

In other words, it's an absolute must see.

!@#$%! 09.25.2018 08:48 AM

oh , 2! ok ha ha ha

a must see it is. will try to catch it this season

_tunic_ 09.25.2018 11:27 AM

which is the one with the grasshoppers? I think that was one of the Exorcist movies, but I might be way off

!@#$%! 09.25.2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
which is the one with the grasshoppers? I think that was one of the Exorcist movies, but I might be way off

like, locust?

i cant remember but id also check out the omen

which i always blend in my head with the exorcist

demonrail666 09.25.2018 11:53 AM

The locusts are in Exorcist II

!@#$%! 09.25.2018 12:06 PM

boorman locust: noted

demonrail666 09.25.2018 12:35 PM

William Friedkin on 1st seeing Exorcist II:

"I was at Technicolor and a guy said 'We just finished a print of Exorcist II, do you wanna have a look at it?' And I looked at half an hour of it and I thought it was as bad as seeing a traffic accident in the street. It was horrible. It's just a stupid mess made by a dumb guy – John Boorman by name, somebody who should be nameless, but in this case should be named. Scurrilous. A horrible picture."

!@#$%! 09.25.2018 12:38 PM

haaaa haaa i almost choked on my fried eggs

now i reeeeeeeeally wanna see it

evollove 09.25.2018 07:46 PM

Anthony Hopkins as Lear? Sign me up.

This has a Julie Taymor vibe to it. Anyone see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yZU9mdbh_0

tw2113 09.25.2018 09:31 PM

The soundtrack is the best part of The Exorcist II, imho

Rob Instigator 09.26.2018 08:05 AM

that LEAR should be insane

demonrail666 09.26.2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
The soundtrack is the best part of The Exorcist II, imho

The fact the soundtrack's pretty crap but that I still agree with you says it all, really.

tesla69 09.26.2018 04:40 PM

Star Wars Episode VIII - although there were some fucking tedious parts, it wasn't as bad as I expected. The part where Leia was flying around in the vacuum was probably the stupidest scene in Star Wars.

tw2113 09.26.2018 09:00 PM

My understanding is that that scene was supposed to be her using the Force to save herself in some way.

Severian 09.27.2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
Star Wars Episode VIII - although there were some fucking tedious parts, it wasn't as bad as I expected. The part where Leia was flying around in the vacuum was probably the stupidest scene in Star Wars.

It was unexpected, that’s for sure.

Like, I didn’t even know Leia *had* that kind of access to the Force.

Did she ever Force before? In any of the movies?

Oh well. Still a good movie.

ADAM DRIVER!!!

Rob Instigator 09.27.2018 08:57 AM

have you guys not watched RETURN OF JEDI? Leia is the OTHER, she is the "still have hope" person. LEIA is full on force magic, and I would expect her to have learned some things from Luke in the 35 years they know each other.

her shit made perfect sense.

I told my wife that in 20 years this generation will have to answer for having made fug-ass mug Adam Driver a leading man.

ilduclo 09.27.2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

ADAM DRIVER!!!

Emo Vader, the worst shit in the franchise since the Ewax or JJ.