Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

mil_pl 07.08.2008 05:56 PM

we were talkin here on gossip about acting of david bowie, and this remind about the Prestige, where he played Nikola Tesla. So i've bought this movie, and watched once again. Prestige and Ilussionist were at the same time in cinemas as far as I can remember, and I've choosed Prestige, cuz it's Nolans movie with Hugh Jackman and Scarlett Johansson, and for the first time when i came out of cinema I said that this is good movie nothing more. But today i think it's something more in this movie, and it's worth watching. Good acting, climat, and a little complicated story of two competing magiscians, and the end of the movie... (i can't tell) :p
8,5/10

the ilussionist 7,5/10

atsonicpark 07.08.2008 05:57 PM

yeah prestige is a bit better definitely...

Savage Clone 07.08.2008 05:58 PM

I got a used copy of Jan Svankmajer's "Little Otik" that I'll be watching in the next couple of days; can't wait to check that out.

!@#$%! 07.08.2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I got a used copy of Jan Svankmajer's "Little Otik" that I'll be watching in the next couple of days; can't wait to check that out.

it's kind of a fun movie but it suffers from an excess of closeups and camera movements that make no sense.

but i think you'll enjoy the darkness of it all.

plus, knowing your thoughts on breeding-- ha ha ha ha. yeah you'll enjoy that.

Savage Clone 07.08.2008 06:04 PM

I've yet to meet a Svankmajer movie I didn't like anyway.

Alex's Trip 07.09.2008 02:28 AM

I just watched Harold and Maude. I really loved it.

_slavo_ 07.09.2008 03:36 AM

Some say it's a great movie but I think it SUCKED. Not my cup of tea at all.

crprte.idnty 07.09.2008 04:14 AM

max headroom (the 1985 tv movie version)

8 / 10

atsonicpark 07.09.2008 05:14 AM

fulltime killer - 8/10

Reccomended.

blood feast 2 - 6/10

A bit too aware of its badness to be great but had some good gore...

teeth - 6/10

Um... yeah. It was decent. For a vagina-with-teeth movie.

LifeDistortion 07.10.2008 02:15 AM

I didn't know very much about Ian Curtis and only knew Joy Division from songs I'd heard on the radio, but this was an awesome film.

✌➬ 07.10.2008 02:16 AM

AWESOME MOVIE!!!

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 07:09 AM

romper stomper - 5/10

hmph.

Derek 07.10.2008 10:32 AM

Blade Runner - 7/10

Ripchord 07.10.2008 10:52 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O6WVurC0j0&e

!@#$%! 07.10.2008 12:33 PM

im always puzzled by the numbers people assign to movies.

you guys have a grading chart or give points for cinematography, story, acting, etc?

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 12:39 PM

I rate it based on how much I enjoyed it. How much it entertained me. Simple.

It could technically be a decent movie but be completely boring and/or devoid of anything resembling heart... take the Matrix films or the Pirates of the Caribbean films.. I would've give any of those above a 4.

On the other hand, it could be a technically inept movie that is incredibly watchable and entertaining. Like Night Train to Terror or Riki-Oh for example.

On the other hand, I still try to look at the good a film does, so even if it's a film I HATE it has to really be shitty in every way to get, like, a 0 or 1. It also has to be great in many many ways or at least totally succeed in what it attempts to do to get a 10.

And, of course, a 5 is AVERAGE.

I don't see what's so puzzling about that.

Rob Instigator 07.10.2008 12:51 PM

Rob Instigator's movie grading chart, all IMO of course. I will give examples using Clint Eastwood movies.

* (1 star)
Fucking horrible movie, either barely finished it or stopped in the middle. un-entertaining even in a bad way. (City Heat - Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds. fucking HORRIBLE)

** (2 stars)
Bad movie. More bad than good. May still be worth watching if yr a fan of the genre, or the actors, or just like watching movies that are so bad they can be enjoyed while laughing at them. (Pink Caddilac - shit. Pink Caddilac may be more between 1 and 2 stars....)

*** (3 stars)
Decent movie. Entertaining at the least. Here are the glut of comedies and action movies I watch. Fun for a saturday afternoon, but nothing that will make you sit up and take notice. May be 1/3 crap. (Space Cowboys - enjoyable but a complete fairy tale anywas, and has some cheesy shit thrown in about old dudes.)

**** (4 stars)
Good Movie. Recommended. Entertained throughout, story was good, acting was good, directing and cinematography were good. All in all, a winner. (Outlaw Josey Wales/Escape from Alcatraz - quality films)

***** (5 stars)
Classic. Must watch. Top notch EVERYTHING. You will be affected!
(Unforgiven/Million Dollar baby/Good The Bad & The Ugly - classic fcking movies man.)

!@#$%! 07.10.2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Rob Instigator's movie grading chart, all IMO of course. I will give examples using Clint Eastwood movies.

* (1 star)
Fucking horrible movie, either barely finished it or stopped in the middle. un-entertaining even in a bad way. (City Heat - Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds. fucking HORRIBLE)

** (2 stars)
Bad movie. More bad than good. May still be worth watching if yr a fan of the genre, or the actors, or just like watching movies that are so bad they can be enjoyed while laughing at them. (Pink Caddilac - shit. Pink Caddilac may be more between 1 and 2 stars....)

*** (3 stars)
Decent movie. Entertaining at the least. Here are the glut of comedies and action movies I watch. Fun for a saturday afternoon, but nothing that will make you sit up and take notice. May be 1/3 crap. (Space Cowboys - enjoyable but a complete fairy tale anywas, and has some cheesy shit thrown in about old dudes.)

**** (4 stars)
Good Movie. Recommended. Entertained throughout, story was good, acting was good, directing and cinematography were good. All in all, a winner. (Outlaw Josey Wales/Escape from Alcatraz - quality films)

***** (5 stars)
Classic. Must watch. Top notch EVERYTHING. You will be affected!
(Unforgiven/Million Dollar baby/Good The Bad & The Ugly - classic fcking movies man.)

see 5 i can see as a translation of horrible/bad/decent/good/awesome

netflix has "hated it" "didn't like it" "liked it" "really liked it" and "loved it"

i can get that.

but 15.5/20?? ha ha you know what i mean.

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 12:53 PM

where would any which way but loose rate in your system?

Rob Instigator 07.10.2008 12:54 PM

I give this thread a 13.7 out of a Base 22 system.