Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Rob Instigator 12.05.2014 05:10 PM

"Dylan seems to me a totally pernicious influence — the nasal whine of death and masochism. Certainly, this would be a more cheerful world if there were no Dylan records in it. But Dylan and his audience mirror each other, and deserve each other; as Marx said, a morbid society creates its own morbid grave-diggers." - RAW

The Soup Nazi 12.07.2014 07:12 PM

Severian 12.07.2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
"Dylan seems to me a totally pernicious influence — the nasal whine of death and masochism. Certainly, this would be a more cheerful world if there were no Dylan records in it. But Dylan and his audience mirror each other, and deserve each other; as Marx said, a morbid society creates its own morbid grave-diggers." - RAW

Figures! I always knew Monday Night RAW had it out for Dylan. Greased up little bullsht closet super-homoerotic example of American marketing GENIUS....

Yeah, anti-Semitic much you giant toddlers?

Sheesh!

Yeah I'm kidding. I had hoped that might be funnier in typeface than it was in my head, where it's only funny to people who laugh at everything because they're stoned or sizzurped.

*sigh*

stu666 12.08.2014 03:52 PM

The Soup Nazi 12.12.2014 05:37 PM

louder 12.13.2014 03:02 PM

Mortte Jousimo 12.14.2014 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Dylan has never been one of the greatest to me, but year after year I have started to like him more. But quite recently I found that Cohen is lot more greater than Dylan & deserves to be in the place of Dylan.

Genteel Death 12.14.2014 06:03 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nos...ature=youtu.be
Mindless Delta Children - Go South

demonrail666 12.14.2014 06:23 AM

Tom Waits - Closing Time

Never really sure what I think of Tom Waits stuff in general but this has slowly grown to become one of my all-time fave albums.

Mortte Jousimo 12.14.2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Tom Waits - Closing Time

Never really sure what I think of Tom Waits stuff in general but this has slowly grown to become one of my all-time fave albums.

I think you already have listened also the Heart of Saturday Night, but anyway it´s twin brother of Closing time. Both albums never been my fav Waits, but I have really always liked the warm feeling in them. BTW Closing Time is my first Waits-album ever heard.

stu666 12.14.2014 12:54 PM

Severian 12.14.2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Dylan has never been one of the greatest to me, but year after year I have started to like him more. But quite recently I found that Cohen is lot more greater than Dylan & deserves to be in the place of Dylan.

Whoah, whoah. Let's not get crazy here. That quote is from an interview with Robert Anton Wilson; the answer is to a question about his feelings toward major pop culture phenomena borne of the "hippie" era. Because it's RAW, a prankster by trade and vocation, I'm not sure how seriously it can be taken.

The interview was conducted in 1976, via mail. Wilson apparently misspelled his own name on the return address and decided to take over the role of interviewer intermittently, posing questions to himself which he then answered.

I don't understand the logic behind the quote, assuming the statement is genuine. Dylan is a lot of things, but a symbol of masochism? Of Deathism! Surely not. Especially since “Deathism” is the very word RAW uses to describe the U.S. government later in the same interview.

He also said this, of Poul Anderson:
Quote:

: Originally by Robert Anton Wilson
I decided Poul loved the Vietnam War so much, that he could actually watch a cop hit an old lady and remember it as a young communist hitting the cop. I haven't bothered keeping up with Anderson's hallucinations since then.

So I think it's safe to say that some responses were deliberately rabble rousing & tongue in cheek. I mean, this is Robert Anton Wilson we're talking about here.

---
As to the Cohen comment, I must disagree. Cohen occupies an entirely different place in the cultural zeitgeist than Dylan ever has or ever will. Though both are logical extensions of the beat philosophy of Kerouac and Gibsberg, Dylan was never a poet or a dreamer. Dylan doesn't deserve the treatment given to him by RAW, and life certainly would be no better if Cohen had taken his place.

But shit, I don't know. I'm probably wrong. I just don't like thinking that someone I respect so much had such a negative attitude toward the man behind Blonde on Blonde & Highway 61 Revisited.

Insanity!

The Soup Nazi 12.14.2014 05:00 PM

demonrail666 12.14.2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I think you already have listened also the Heart of Saturday Night, but anyway it´s twin brother of Closing time. Both albums never been my fav Waits, but I have really always liked the warm feeling in them. BTW Closing Time is my first Waits-album ever heard.

My problem is I've wanted to like him more than I do because of Closing Time. I like Heart of Saturday Night a lot too but, like you say, that's more like its (slightly jazzier) twin and still a way from what he'd quickly become. Besides the odd song I kind of lost interest after Nighthawks, when he seemed to be edging more towards something like performance art.

evollove 12.15.2014 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Tom Waits - Closing Time

Ha! I think it's the least Waits-ian, so there you go.

Although SMALL CHANGE isn't a consistent record, the best songs strike me as the best of his early, lounge period. It's the only pre-80s Waits I listen to.

stu666 12.15.2014 01:27 PM

The Soup Nazi 12.16.2014 04:30 PM

Rob Instigator 12.16.2014 04:41 PM

The Soup Nazi 12.16.2014 06:13 PM

A phenomenal release, all four sides of it (a 7" is sneakily included with the 12"). Pierce is on fire as an improviser - I hope some of this gets injected back into Spiritualized's next album, whenever it comes.

The Soup Nazi 12.16.2014 06:15 PM

Severian 12.16.2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

A phenomenal release, all four sides of it (a 7" is sneakily included with the 12"). Pierce is on fire as an improviser - I hope some of this gets injected back into Spiritualized's next album, whenever it comes.

Fuck, I need to get a physical copy of this, like last week! I really like the performance, but MP3 doesn't cut it for an event like this. Record Store Day's best moment.

Genteel Death 12.16.2014 07:19 PM

Someone get this blogger douche a copy of that. NOW!

Severian 12.17.2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

Excellent!

louder 12.17.2014 03:53 PM

thanks for neg repping me for listening to one of my fav albums from when i was 16, Genteel. i'm sure i'm gonna enjoy that album a lot less now, because your opinion means so much to me.

The Soup Nazi 12.18.2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

Should I add this bad boy to my "I'd rather shoot myself in the face than not having these records right away" list? Is it as good as Play Some Fucking Stooges? Eh? Huh? Hmmm...

Severian 12.19.2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Someone get this blogger douche a copy of that. NOW!

... really takes the punch out of an insult when you have to click over to the previous page to even understand who/what is being insulted, huh?

louder 12.19.2014 03:22 PM

The Soup Nazi 12.19.2014 03:50 PM

louder 12.20.2014 10:09 AM

Antagon 12.21.2014 08:03 AM

The Soup Nazi 12.21.2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Seriously though, what are you listening to?

The Soup Nazi 12.21.2014 02:17 PM

Severian 12.22.2014 01:30 AM

I'm still listening the shit out of Black Messiah.

I can't stop. Which is probably good. If i didn't marathon this album it wouldn't get the place it deserves in my 2014 albums list (due January 3, 2015)... I might have just tacked it onto the bottom third of the top 15. But this record is good enough to make SYRO nervous. Real talk.

Also listening to a bunch of other heavy hitters from the year like Dub Thompson, Fennesz (who, by the way, was totally out to lunch when pitchfork made their 80% atrocious, 10% surprisingly right on list... The top ten was totally respectable, though the order is all wrong and at least 7 of those albums belong in the lower top 20), Untold and KidKanevil.

Man that was a long parenthetical. I need to work on that shit.

Torn Curtain 12.22.2014 11:09 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09b4z7TpU9s

stu666 12.22.2014 02:06 PM

diskaholic-anonymous 12.23.2014 05:18 AM

Torn Curtain 12.23.2014 04:12 PM

John Martyn - Bless the weather

The Soup Nazi 12.23.2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

YES - I was seriously listening to ELP......love all the Keith Emerson piano on this album.

I knew you were serious - I just think Keith Emerson is an enemy of rock & roll. The dude who went NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA on ? & The Mysterians' "96 Tears" is a FAR better keyboardist. And I'm not putting him down. For real.

The Soup Nazi 12.23.2014 05:17 PM

Severian 12.23.2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskaholic-anonymous

Whoah, Gorilla Biscuits!!!
I haven't thought about them in ages! I had a minor fling with them in high school. I can't really remember much about their genealogy, but I got into Quicksand & Rival Schools for a few months, and... they're connected in some way I don't at all remember, but you know what I'm talking about.

But yeah, that's cool. Gorilla Biscuits. Fun.