Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

me. 01.14.2010 07:19 PM

Uno Koji - Love of Mountains

SuperCreep 01.14.2010 08:49 PM

Dead-Air 01.15.2010 12:50 PM

Reading Goodbye 20th Century which I find interesting purely as a Sonic Geek.

Despite all the claims of how straight they always were, I bet there is a great kiss and tell book like Angie Bowie's to be had that we will likely never read since they never fucked anyone over enough to generate it. Lee's journals hint at this, and I just don't buy that they could hang out with Lydia and Thirwell and emerge so unstained.

jennthebenn 01.15.2010 01:33 PM

Steve is straight as an arrow, poison or otherwise, but the other members?
Like you said, JRNLS80S doesn't deny the use of cocaine. And the Kim/heroin rumor seems to have been around forever.

Dead-Air 01.15.2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Steve is straight as an arrow, poison or otherwise, but the other members?
Like you said, JRNLS80S doesn't deny the use of cocaine. And the Kim/heroin rumor seems to have been around forever.

Yeah, and I kind of fill the role of the "stable" one in a group of crazies in my circle, so I figure SY probably have just as much to hide on a much larger scale.

If you hang out with the likes of Lydia and the Butthole Surfers, you are always going to seem less debauched, which makes having people like that around surprisingly useful. Bowie actually did the same thing with Iggy and Lou Reed, but Angie knew too much and had too much to gain in $$ and vengeance not to unleash all the dirt.

ann ashtray 01.16.2010 03:44 PM

Naked Lunch for the first time ever.

Dead-Air 01.16.2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Naked Lunch for the first time ever.

Enjoyed the hell out of that book.

ann ashtray 01.16.2010 03:58 PM

I'm only a few pages in but enjoying it so far.

Dead-Air 01.18.2010 12:43 AM

biggest criticisms of Goodbye 20th Century:

No mention of Thurston's stint playing in Even Worse even though it details all their other early bands at the time and addresses his growing interest in taking part in the hardcore scene at the time. Pretty silly it would overlook his playing in a hardcore (scene at least) band.

No mention of Steve Albini or Big Black despite the obvious alliance with SY in the early days.

No mention of Bruce Pavitt either, and Sub Pop is only mentioned way after they were an established marketing force mega-indie. Pavitt put "Kill Yr. Idols" on Sub Pop 100 the very first compilation he released on vinyl, included SY tracks on several of his cassettes before that, and constantly hyped them in his fanzine and column in the Rocket in Seattle.

In general it seems as if when the author couldn't talk to somebody he just didn't mention them in the book, except perhaps in passing, and then often out of sequence from when they actually interacted with or impacted the band.

I swear some of the timeframes are just wrong. It says they were playing Washing Machine songs on tour with R.E.M. and at Lollapalooza before the album was actually released, but I know I was playing it on my radio show regularly when I went to both those gigs in George, Washington that summer. May have just been the advance cassette that DGC sent KAOS, but the point is, college radio was already playing the songs.

Definitely the book is better and meatier than Confusion is Next was, but it is in no way comprehensive or spot on accurate.

looking glass spectacle 01.18.2010 01:09 AM

reminds me a little of a surreal sherlock holmes or philip marlowe...

hire the mysterious dr freud, private detective of the unconscious, to follow you around in your dreams! he will hypnotize you and use his extraordinary powers of deduction to discover all the dirty little secrets even you didn't know about yourself! ...stop touching yourself that way.

looking glass spectacle 01.18.2010 02:59 AM

"One day I had an experience which showed me in the crudest light what I had long suspected. It related to one of my most acquiescent patients, with whom hypnotism had enabled me to bring about the most marvellous results, and whom I was engaged in relieving of her suffering by tracing back her attacks of pain to their origins. As she woke up on one occasion, she threw her arms around my neck.

"The unexpected entrance of a servant relieved us from a painful discussion, but from that time onwards there was a tacit understanding between us that the hypnotic treatment should be discontinued. I was modest enough not to attribute the event to my own irresistible personal attraction, and I felt that I had now grasped the nature of the mysterious element that was at work behind hypnotism."

...needs to be repackaged and marketed as a pulp novel.

Toilet & Bowels 01.18.2010 05:29 AM

It's superb

phoenix 01.18.2010 07:48 AM

more anais. gotta get my kicks somehow. :(

fugazifan 01.18.2010 02:14 PM

neuromancer and loving it

Rob Instigator 01.18.2010 02:20 PM

finished reading The Sandman: Fables & Reflections

Now I am finally getting to read a book I bought a couple of years ago but have not had the time to digest.

fugazifan 01.21.2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan

finished it and loved it, tonight or tomorrow i will star do androids dream of electric sleep.
i might also read guy debrod's society of the spectacle

Rob Instigator 01.21.2010 03:56 PM

The Mysteries of All Nations : Rise and Progress of Superstition, Laws Against and Trials of Witches, Ancient and Modern Delusions Together With Strange Customs, Fables, and Tales" - by James Grant (1880)

downloaded and printed it out from Project Gutenberg, a great website where you can find hundreds of thousands of books that are all public domain.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

demonrail666 01.21.2010 05:41 PM

automatic bzooty 01.21.2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan

this!

alteredcourse 01.21.2010 10:51 PM

What is that one like? It's legendary, but I've never read it...yet.

Finished Less than Zero and The Rules of Attraction, moving onto Theo Fleury's autobiography, Playing with Fire.

Just discovered whatshouldireadnext.com for whatever's after...I have been craving something philosophical and meaty, but kinda hesitate at classic literature.