Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Severian 04.21.2015 08:47 PM

Faith no More - Sol Invictus for the last few days off and on.

Blur - The Magic Whip earlier today.

The Castle Face roster's song-by-song cover of Velvet Underground and Nico (in anticipation of Mutilator Defeated at Last, the new album by Thee Oh Sees dropping in May)

Snoop (Doggy) Dogg - Tha Doggfather

And repeated listens to the new Squarepusher, Damogen Furies. What a fuckin' album! And here I am without a glowstick!

The Soup Nazi 04.22.2015 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebeccagotcursedout
Charlie Patton
American Primitive Vol.1 - Raw Pre-War Gospel

CHARLEY Patton!

demonrail666 04.22.2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Funny, I am just reading a book of progrock (first in Finnish) where this album is also mentioned as a kind of "preprog"-album.

I can see how it could be described that way. I imagine it appealed to a similar audience, but it feels too self-consciously backward looking to really qualify. Fairport Convention seem closer to The Band than any Prog bands I can think of.

louder 04.22.2015 03:46 PM

rebeccagotcursedout 04.22.2015 08:48 PM

Dark Side of the Moon - garbage!!!
Animals - trash/shit!!!!
The Wall - unexplainable besides the word asleep!!! will hang myself elevator muzak!!!
Syd Barrett - should've stayed at home with mommy and daddy to read L. Carroll!!!
Roger Waters - to punch him in his ugly face!!
David Gilmour - practicing long pointless guitar solos forever for no purpose!!!
Nick Manson - worse drummer ever!!!! retarded!!!
Keyboard player - doesn't exist, figment turds of the shit music's imagination!!!!

everything else - barf!!!! like eating cream of mushroom soup with a can of piss!!!

louder 04.23.2015 04:02 AM

blue 04.23.2015 04:10 AM

Ben Zimmerman
https://youtu.be/zt3N0C6zIcY
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxj...nBsnHYA/videos

Mortte Jousimo 04.23.2015 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I can see how it could be described that way. I imagine it appealed to a similar audience, but it feels too self-consciously backward looking to really qualify. Fairport Convention seem closer to The Band than any Prog bands I can think of.

Yes. There are also some "prog" elements in Band. Also, many prog bands have at first same kind of warm, like "country" elements in their music (the greatest Finnish prog band Wigwam-members were huge Band-fans). That was long time before coldness of neoprog.

Mortte Jousimo 04.23.2015 08:41 AM

Quote:

Dark Side of the Moon - garbage!!!
Animals - trash/shit!!!!
The Wall - unexplainable besides the word asleep!!! will hang myself elevator muzak!!!
Syd Barrett - should've stayed at home with mommy and daddy to read L. Carroll!!!
Roger Waters - to punch him in his ugly face!!
David Gilmour - practicing long pointless guitar solos forever for no purpose!!!
Nick Manson - worse drummer ever!!!! retarded!!!
Keyboard player - doesn't exist, figment turds of the shit music's imagination!!!!

everything else - barf!!!! like eating cream of mushroom soup with a can of piss!!!

Very original to hate Pink Floyd. Rotten already did it in the seventies.

Torn Curtain 04.23.2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

He recently recognized in an interview that it was a posture and he actually thought they were good.

evollove 04.23.2015 11:56 AM

^ Or is he posturing now? Oh, what an enigma.

Wonder if he stands by calling the Patti Smith album "Horse Shit."

Rob Instigator 04.23.2015 11:59 AM

and

I waited in line at record store day and when I got to the selections it was all so shit (so much Springsteen I wanted to barf) so I grabbed a reissue of Tago Mago, which I only had on a shitty cassette, and the Phish Live in NYC 1995 box set (6 LP's! 4 HOURS!) because the ticket price showed $75. I got to the register and the shit rang up at $175, and they showed me that the "1" was slightly misprinted making it look like a $75 purchase. I told them I did not want it and just bought the CAN album (which RULES ALL BTW), and walked outside Vinal Edge.

Behind me in line was my fellow Instigator Soza Vac, who without me knowing, grabbed the Phish box set, purchased it, and when he got outside gave it to me as a gift.!!!! I told him it was too much money, and that I could not accept that gift, and he would not let me give it back. what a friend. He told me to "think of it as your birthday present for years to come."

I love records.....

greenlight 04.23.2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

yummi! have to re-listen soon!

evollove 04.23.2015 03:16 PM

"Mushroomhead" is oddly one of my favorite "songs" of all time. Endlessly fascinating and really catchy. Coulda been a hit.

gmku 04.23.2015 03:36 PM

Does anybody remember a band from the 90s called Th' Faith Healers? I sure do, and I'm playin' 'em.

Follow up question: Why is almost every band from that period ever so much more memorable than just about any new band from 2000 forward? Like, Clay Your Hands, Say Yeah! Who cares or remembers much about them? Wolf Parade? Meh. Even Interpol. Meh. War on Drugs. Okay, some okay albums, but really, do we care?

Rob Instigator 04.23.2015 03:51 PM

Interpol had one good side of one good LP and the rest is idea-less treacle

!@#$%! 04.23.2015 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Does anybody remember a band from the 90s called Th' Faith Healers? I sure do, and I'm playin' 'em.

Follow up question: Why is almost every band from that period ever so much more memorable than just about any new band from 2000 forward? Like, Clay Your Hands, Say Yeah! Who cares or remembers much about them? Wolf Parade? Meh. Even Interpol. Meh. War on Drugs. Okay, some okay albums, but really, do we care?

i dont know that band but you need to listen to lightning bolt. while they may have formed in the 20th century their golden era is on the 21st. they will burn themselves in your mind.

same goes for deerhoof who really broke with reveille-- i've lost interest in them as of late but they were fantastic in the early 00s

pelican is also from this time. you don't like pelican? heavy as fuck.

animal collective? no?

rebeccagotcursedout 04.23.2015 04:30 PM

Quote:

wasn't trying to be original, but i do have an opinion so that's original. I honestly can't stand Pink Floyd. we can debate all day but NOTHING is going to change my mind. I've already wasted my time going through their albums trying to find something that clicks. there is that cool little keyboard solo in "Any Colour You Like", and of course the beautiful "Wish you were Here"... but the rest...desolate. boring. lethargic. infinitely boring.

im clearly a failed comedian.

now, CAN's Tago Mago. now that's a psych album!! it takes me places beyond dark side of the boring moon.

ok. Live at Pompeii is enjoyable.;) and fuck johnny rotten!! doesn't he like Can too?

rebeccagotcursedout 04.23.2015 05:04 PM

takako minekawa - roomic cube
parliament
pusha t
minutemen
chuck berry

evollove 04.23.2015 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku

1- No, but I'm listening now.

I've been giving fIREHOSE and Sebadoh and Last Splash alot of attention lately and this seems to fit in real well. Something called "Heart Fog?" Really like it.

2- Yes. A interesting, authentic time. Not like now.

What should I listen to next?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.23.2015 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
1- No, but I'm listening now.

I've been giving fIREHOSE and Sebadoh and Last Splash alot of attention lately and this seems to fit in real well. Something called "Heart Fog?" Really like it.

2- Yes. A interesting, authentic time. Not like now.

What should I listen to next?

Quote:

My space is Compton I ain't talkin bout the internet

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.23.2015 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Interpol had one good side of one good LP and the rest is idea-less treacle

Turn Out the Bright Lights is a fantastic record.. Self Titled is pretty good. Our Love to Admire isn't necessarily bad

rebeccagotcursedout 04.23.2015 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Turn Out the Bright Lights is a fantastic record.. Self Titled is pretty good. Our Love to Admire isn't necessarily bad

wrong!! Interpol has one good song and that's "Leif Erikson" and even that's kinda lame. the rest of the songs on the album could be played on any crime drama on basic cable in the 2010's.

You can't be serious?!?

Interpol makes Morrissey look fun. hopefully their songwriting skills was an excuse to get kids into real post punk.

you need to see the light buddy.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.23.2015 07:12 PM

Quote:

wrong!! Interpol has one good song and that's "Leif Erikson" and even that's kinda lame. the rest of the songs on the album could be played on any crime drama on basic cable.

Interpol makes Morrissey look fun. hopeful their songwriting skills was an excuse to get kids into real post punk.

rebeccagotcursedout 04.23.2015 07:13 PM

like ASSHOLES!!! everyone has one.:)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.23.2015 07:15 PM

Quote:

like ASSHOLES!!! everyone has one.:)

rebeccagotcursedout 04.23.2015 07:16 PM

take it easy, man.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.23.2015 07:18 PM

Quote:

take it easy, man.

rebeccagotcursedout 04.23.2015 07:18 PM

LOL. I do too!!!

anyway, Interpol are assholes. fuck that shite!!!

I'm taking no prisoners.

Severian 04.23.2015 08:18 PM

Bros, I fucking hate the fucking Eagles too. Like- I hate them so much that Phil Collins' Genesis sounds utterly fucking bad ass if (and ONLY if) they are played immediately after the Eagles on the radio.

People need to make a bigger deal out of how much the Eagles suck. I'll take the Dead, CSN&Y, Creedence and even Fleetwood Mac over those fraudulent Easy Rider fuckwads any day.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.23.2015 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

People need to make a bigger deal out of how much the Eagles suck. I'll take the Dead, .

rebeccagotcursedout 04.23.2015 08:24 PM

Quote:

People need to make a bigger deal out of how much the Eagles suck. I'll take the Dead, CSN&Y, Creedence and even Fleetwood Mac over those fraudulent Easy Rider fuckwads any day.

CCR are godlike and should not be mentioned in the same sentence with anyone!!!:)

I MEAN IT!!!!

I like the DEAD too Such, but they are just a notch under CCR!!!! the Eagles are in the garbage can. forget them. forever.

you take the DEAD, i'll take CCR. more compacted americana for me.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.23.2015 09:20 PM

dead are a notch under Creedance???

Dude, you're drunk.

rebeccagotcursedout 04.23.2015 09:25 PM

I might be drunk or high, but you can't fuck with Creedence. not even the Dead.

two different bands. i'll take one over the other.

just looking through my Mp3 player:

David bowie - sound and vision
Johnny Cash - ?
The Slits - ?
Sonic Youth - the world looks red
CAN - ?
ABBA - ?
Donavan - celeste
The Stooges - no fun
Leadbelly - fannin street
melvins- set me straight
the zombies - ?
velvet underground - rock n roll

Severian 04.23.2015 11:33 PM

Creedence were one of the tightest groups of musicians, with one of the most distinctive sounds in rock history. They were kind of a greatest hits band, which is why I'd go with the Dead if I had to choose, but CCR had one of the best strings of singles of all time.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.23.2015 11:53 PM

Exactly, the dead may be the most eclectic band ever.. they play EVERYTHING

evollove 04.24.2015 05:32 AM

Quote:

They were kind of a greatest hits band, which is why I'd go with the Dead if I had to choose

I don't get it. A bunch of unimpeachable classics loses to jamming?

--

INTERPOL:
1st one - Still quite good. Two or three duds, but the majority are fine tunes.
2nd - Four good songs
3rd - One nearly good song "Rest My Chemistry"
4th - Heard it once. Eh. Moved on.

So my biggest beef with the band is how they grew drastically less interesting with every release. They take a few years between each release which seems like plenty of time to write 12 decent songs. They don't. No excuse.

My second beef is: it seems since Interpol, it has been acceptable to be completely derivative. Once upon a time saying a band sounded like Joy Division was a bit of a slam, suggesting the band couldn't come up with their own sound. Nowadays, it's just a descriptor, and no one seems to mind.

Mortte Jousimo 04.24.2015 06:02 AM

Quote:

wasn't trying to be original, but i do have an opinion so that's original. I honestly can't stand Pink Floyd. we can debate all day but NOTHING is going to change my mind. I've already wasted my time going through their albums trying to find something that clicks. there is that cool little keyboard solo in "Any Colour You Like", and of course the beautiful "Wish you were Here"... but the rest...desolate. boring. lethargic. infinitely boring.

im clearly a failed comedian.

now, CAN's Tago Mago. now that's a psych album!! it takes me places beyond dark side of the boring moon.

ok. Live at Pompeii is enjoyable.;) and fuck johnny rotten!! doesn't he like Can too?

Have you tried first Floyd-albums? Itīs not that I care do you hate or like them, but the first albums are really much different than the material after Obscured by the Clouds. I am a big fan, I aven like that new one. My favourite album is Atom Heart Mother.

Mortte Jousimo 04.24.2015 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
"Mushroomhead" is oddly one of my favorite "songs" of all time. Endlessly fascinating and really catchy. Coulda been a hit.

Fully agree. I think the first side of Tago Mago is one of the best music all time.

I really love also Creedence & Grateful Dead, donīt like Interpol and most of the 2000 stuff at all.

& donīt like Eagles at all.

Mortte Jousimo 04.24.2015 06:08 AM

Quote:

Creedence were one of the tightest groups of musicians, with one of the most distinctive sounds in rock history. They were kind of a greatest hits band, which is why I'd go with the Dead if I had to choose, but CCR had one of the best strings of singles of all time.

All CCR albums are great except Mardi Gras. So they werenīt just hit band.