Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.26.2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom
I liked this one a lot and it is surprisingly very funny. I agree that it is a pretty accurate depiction of dating but I'm not really sure how much I can get down with its nihilism. But I do appreciate it showing how hallow the pressure to find someone can be. Is loneliness so terrible in the face of absurd social norms? Lanthimos is by far my favorite filmmaker around right now and I see him taking from Bresson's playbook a lot but just getting rid of Bresson's moments of grace.

It's strange to me that you can love The Lobster but hate Dogtooth. What did you not like about Dogtooth?

I hardly remember Dogtooth tbh.

I'm ripe for a rewatch. My gf told me she enjoyed it also. So fuck, maybe I'm wrong.

dirty bunny 01.26.2019 10:27 PM

Venom. It was pretty good. A little cheesy. I can see why they re-tooled the origin of venom, as it gets pretty convoluted.

demonrail666 01.27.2019 03:51 PM

Death Wish

I like the original, with Charles Bronson, and I generally like Bruce Willis. Not sure the remake really adds anything, though. Its relocation from 70s NY to current day Chicago sort of makes sense and having Willis learn how to use a gun from Youtube videos is a neat touch, but that's about it. Far more violent than the original but lacks its sleazy 70s atmosphere. And as much as I like Bruce Willis, simple fact is he's no Charles Bronson.

!@#$%! 01.27.2019 06:21 PM

o man

bruce willis is okay but hes not charles fucking bronson

also, in these inquisition days sleaze is verbotten xD

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.29.2019 11:08 PM

Pretty cool actually. *Spoilers ahead*

I had no idea who Doomsday was as a character, but had heard of the 'Death of Superman' as a comic arc from the 90's (I think?) Still, what the hell was Doomsday - just some alien from a pregnant asteroid? - and why did he have the exact powers as Superman? Like he seriously whipped all of Justice League's asses in this movie. Maybe i missed something while wrestling my dog away from our new feline friends.

What's the deal with Lex Luthor? I thought he was a villain? Sorta like a Kingpin (Wilson Fisk) kinda dude. But I guess he just is super jealous of Superman and wants to be a hero? He's a rich scientist guy right?

Loved Supes' Christ-like resurrection. Laughed my balls off when Clark Kent revealed to Lois Lane he was Superman by simply taking off his glasses. Saw Superman build his Fortress of Solitude in the post-credits sequence, and saw him forging a Superman emblem made of metal... I had an action figure like that once...

Nonetheless, I'm suddenly more interested in Superman as a character, and his surrounding universe.

pony 01.30.2019 12:22 PM

I watched "Die Geträumten" last night. It was on Mubi. It was nice. Absolute legend Anja Plaschg and some dude reading parts of the correspondence between Ingeborg Bachmann and Paul Celan. <3

!@#$%! 01.30.2019 03:11 PM

criterion channel launches april 8 in us and canada

Severian 01.30.2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

Pretty cool actually. *Spoilers ahead*

I had no idea who Doomsday was as a character, but had heard of the 'Death of Superman' as a comic arc from the 90's (I think?) Still, what the hell was Doomsday - just some alien from a pregnant asteroid? - and why did he have the exact powers as Superman? Like he seriously whipped all of Justice League's asses in this movie. Maybe i missed something while wrestling my dog away from our new feline friends.

What's the deal with Lex Luthor? I thought he was a villain? Sorta like a Kingpin (Wilson Fisk) kinda dude. But I guess he just is super jealous of Superman and wants to be a hero? He's a rich scientist guy right?

Loved Supes' Christ-like resurrection. Laughed my balls off when Clark Kent revealed to Lois Lane he was Superman by simply taking off his glasses. Saw Superman build his Fortress of Solitude in the post-credits sequence, and saw him forging a Superman emblem made of metal... I had an action figure like that once...

Nonetheless, I'm suddenly more interested in Superman as a character, and his surrounding universe.

Glad you’re interested in the always awesome and constantly underrated Superman. We can talk any time. Remember, I’m starting a religion based on the guy.

#kryptonianorthodox

Re: Doomsday

There are answers to your questions, but I’m not sure why they weren’t covered in the movie (which I haven’t seen). But basically, Doomsday — this version anyway — is from a prehistoric race of creatures that were like predators to Kryptonians. Like, they exist only to feed on energy and destroy shit, and Kryptonians were their big game. I forget the specifics, but I think Doomsday is the sole survivor of the race and sensed Supes and came at him across the cosmos after some extended hibernation period.

There are other versions, but that’s roughly the backstory associated with THE Doomsday that killed Superman in 1992.

Doomsday scared me as a kid. He tore through the whole DC world like a hurricane and that freaked me out.

I have the Comic too. Worthless of course.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.30.2019 09:56 PM

It probably was explained, I was only able to half-watch as I'm keeping an eye on my dog and new cats, all while redoing the master bedroom in my house. Lots of excitement here.

Currently 25 min into the muppet movie w Jason Segel and Amy Adams.

tw2113 02.03.2019 01:03 AM

Fright Night, after watching an extensive making of a few months back on Shudder

demonrail666 02.03.2019 07:54 AM

The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid

Excellent 'acid/trippy' Western that's pretty under the radar, even compared with other films of that kind.

tw2113 02.03.2019 09:30 PM

Stranger Than Fiction

!@#$%! 02.03.2019 09:48 PM

im watching “polar” which is this dumbshit action movie which is kinda stylish and good in that sense. with mads “hannibal lecter” mikkelsen, my girlfriend lagertha from vikings (lol), and a chick with big tits among a cast of people i’ve never seen before.

it’s cheesy—but there are some cool kills!

so vanessa hudgens was in it (first time i ever see her i think?) and an unrecognizable richard dreyfus too

the actors i did not recognize are from various places and the director is a swede who has made something like 1000,000,000,000,000 music videos before this movie. which explains the style

Severian 02.04.2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
im watching “polar” which is this dumbshit action movie which is kinda stylish and good in that sense. with mads “hannibal lecter” mikkelsen, my girlfriend lagertha from vikings (lol), and a chick with big tits among a cast of people i’ve never seen before.

it’s cheesy—but there are some cool kills!

so vanessa hudgens was in it (first time i ever see her i think?) and an unrecognizable richard dreyfus too

the actors i did not recognize are from various places and the director is a swede who has made something like 1000,000,000,000,000 music videos before this movie. which explains the style

Also it’s based on a comic book, which heavily informs the style.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 02.04.2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Stranger Than Fiction

Does this hold up at all?

I can't even remember if it was good or not. Interesting premise though, and I usually enjoy Will Ferrell.

tw2113 02.04.2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Does this hold up at all?

I can't even remember if it was good or not. Interesting premise though, and I usually enjoy Will Ferrell.

It wasn't horrible, wasn't instant classic to me. Definitely an interesting premise. I'd say it held up in general.

!@#$%! 02.04.2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Also it’s based on a comic book, which heavily informs the style.

ah! that explains a lot of the ridiculousness

it was a dumb movie in many ways, and the metacritic ratings are dismal. i’d agree with them in a different mood.

but not today—sometimes i just want a cheeseburger with fries and a coke

msg on the fries please

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

choc e-Claire 02.04.2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Stranger Than Fiction

We watched that in Literature last year! It was used as an example for storytelling techniques and etc. I quite enjoyed it.

tw2113 02.04.2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
We watched that in Literature last year! It was used as an example for storytelling techniques and etc. I quite enjoyed it.

It bolsters my thoughts that Will Ferrell has an underappreciated serious roles portfolio. Most people love him for the comedies, understandably, but his serious stuff is quality work as well.

choc e-Claire 02.05.2019 10:32 PM

Media class is giving me an education...