Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Antagon 11.14.2015 07:32 PM

The Soup Nazi 11.15.2015 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
felt a sudden urge to listen to these two albums, which I hadn't heard in a long while

Impossible not to be drawn again to this album considering what is going on.
:(

EDIT - I also went back to this one:

The Soup Nazi 11.15.2015 06:22 PM

The Soup Nazi 11.15.2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
This is so great package, Cale at his best!

Indeed! Well, let's not forget Fear's masterful predecessor Paris 1919, and of course his Inside The Dream Syndicate/New York In The 1960s works, which are DE-LISH!

Mortte Jousimo 11.16.2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Indeed! Well, let's not forget Fear's masterful predecessor Paris 1919, and of course his Inside The Dream Syndicate/New York In The 1960s works, which are DE-LISH!

I really like Paris 1919, itīs very beautiful album but I think in that time Cale just couldnīt do everything he would have wanted (cause the record company) I think Island gave him free hands and you can hear it in those great albums! Never heard those others, have to some day.

Itīs not long time I bought Bataclan, itīs just great! Also finally bought Velvet Loaded, V.U. & Another view and listened them a lot too!

evollove 11.16.2015 08:15 PM

I've heard a few bootlegs from the period, but holy fuck, not this many. And not sounding so good. I'm having something close to a religious experience.

Severian 11.16.2015 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
I've heard a few bootlegs from the period, but holy fuck, not this many. And not sounding so good. I'm having something close to a religious experience.

Did you get the complete set, or one of the shorter versions?

I have my eye on this too

evollove 11.17.2015 07:12 AM

I started with a sampler someone put together, which convinced me to, um, acquire the rest. (The fucking thing is $600, and while I actually think that might be a fair price, my conscious is pretty clear.) I haven't heard it all. I'm going slow. I need to pause now and then to put my blown mind back together.

Rob Instigator 11.17.2015 09:42 AM

Severian 11.17.2015 01:12 PM

Quote:

I started with a sampler someone put together, which convinced me to, um, acquire the rest. (The fucking thing is $600, and while I actually think that might be a fair price, my conscious is pretty clear.) I haven't heard it all. I'm going slow. I need to pause now and then to put my blown mind back together.

No judgment here. That's an obscene price. Love Dylan, would definitely pay it if I was so wealthy that $600 felt like $50 to me, but ... Well, I'm not, so that's that.

I'll get one of the more condensed versions or I'll acquire it by some other means as well.

The Soup Nazi 11.17.2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
[...] would definitely pay it if I was so wealthy that $600 felt like $50 to me, but ... Well, I'm not, so that's that.

I went directly for the 6CD edition, which I think can be considered the main version of this installment of the Bootleg Series. The 2CD set is just a sampler and purchasing the 18CD behemoth is something even I [<- degenerate Dylan fan] didn't contemplate seriously, not because it wasn't worth it or I had other priorities (like, say, FOOD), but because I quite simply do not have that kind of dough. I already blew up one credit card and the bank is after me...

Rob Instigator 11.17.2015 04:04 PM

I think I, even in my fanatical love of certain bands, could never begin to think about paying that amount of dough.

Bytor Peltor 11.17.2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

I'm going slow. I need to pause now and then to put my blown mind back together.

This is my approach with box sets. Last year I picked up, Disintegration Loops by William Basinski. Every two months or so I would move on to the next Loop......such an enjoyable experience.

evollove 11.17.2015 05:05 PM

You guys realize it comes with an amusing leopard-skin guitar pick, don't you? You'd be stupid not to buy it.

Actually, the film strip is pretty sweet.

Bytor Peltor 11.17.2015 07:47 PM

Mortte Jousimo 11.19.2015 12:10 PM

Should listen some Captain, not listened him long time (except that horrible recorded Let Them Eat Vinyl -live, I just couldnīt listen it more than two times).

Really enjoyed Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 -albums!

The Soup Nazi 11.19.2015 06:45 PM

Quote:

[...] (except that horrible recorded Let Them Eat Vinyl -live, I just couldnīt listen it more than two times).

Can't be worse than the douchebag playing Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" on sax outside my office RIGHT NOW. I gotta put on Sensitive/Lethal to drown him out...

Severian 11.19.2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

I went directly for the 6CD edition, which I think can be considered the main version of this installment of the Bootleg Series. The 2CD set is just a sampler and purchasing the 18CD behemoth is something even I [<- degenerate Dylan fan] didn't contemplate seriously, not because it wasn't worth it or I had other priorities (like, say, FOOD), but because I quite simply do not have that kind of dough. I already blew up one credit card and the bank is after me...

I still need to get the super deluxe reissue of Loaded. But then, I'm going for the 6CD.

raiinking 11.20.2015 01:14 AM

Spray Paint (Punter on a Barge/ Dopers), Ivy (Cat's Cause No Dog's Problem), CCTV, Frau (Mira), David Bowie(Scary Monsters)

stu666 11.20.2015 10:39 AM

Mortte Jousimo 11.20.2015 04:54 PM

Quote:

Can't be worse than the douchebag playing Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" on sax outside my office RIGHT NOW. I gotta put on Sensitive/Lethal to drown him out...

What is really horrible in that vinyl is that Captain & the Magic Band were playing just absolutely great, but that record sounds like somebodyīs was in the audience (propably in the very back) recording with a miserable mono taperecorder. Really liked to hear better recorded version from that gig!

The Soup Nazi 11.20.2015 05:06 PM

Underrated as hell.

evollove 11.21.2015 10:10 AM

Quote:

Underrated as hell.

Just about everything post-BLUE is underrated as hell. HISSING OF SUMMER LAWNS is my personal fav, and it's beyond me why that album never seems to make any Top 100 or whatever list. She's a genius. Most people don't get it. Whatever.

Mortte Jousimo 11.21.2015 02:40 PM

Just listened Sabbath Technical Ecstasy first time as a whole. And I really like it! Maybe it not rises into same level as those previous six albums, but I really got nothing bad to say about it. I was really suprised Bill Ward is singing in a BS-album! Also Sheīs Gone is really a hidden classic (I am seventies heavy ballad lover). Already thinking Dirty Women is one of my all time Sabbath Favourites.

Also listened Lydia Lunch Retrovirus Live-album. This is also really great, I think Bob Bert is playing better than ever in Retrovirus!

Antagon 11.21.2015 03:15 PM

Quote:

Also listened Lydia Lunch Retrovirus Live-album. This is also really great, I think Bob Bert is playing better than ever in Retrovirus!

YES! It's brutal. I was at one of the gigs of that tour two years ago. Very raw and visceral. Loved it.

Antagon 11.21.2015 09:00 PM

The Soup Nazi 11.22.2015 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
tha hell!?! is there a muzak studio near you?

No studio, just shitty buskers on the sidewalk (I'm on a second floor, they are just below). And yes, he plays "Careless Whisper" too. People actually give money to these mutant turds...

Severian 11.22.2015 10:30 PM

Hah!

Severian 11.22.2015 10:34 PM

I'm all about Divers, Arca- Mutant, the new Caural and the exquisite DJ Koze singles from 2015. Was hoping for a new proper album from the clown prince of techno this year, but I don't envy him the task of having to make a follow-up to Amygdala, which is now very close to being my favorite album of the decade.

And that Viet Cong album just kills. Still all about that one.

Mortte Jousimo 11.23.2015 12:23 AM

Hah! I remember that Belushi part from National Lampoonīs Animal House. Really great scene, that song was just so juicy. Really wanted to do the same to my screen when listening spotify advertises.

raiinking 11.23.2015 03:53 AM

raiinking 11.23.2015 03:55 AM

selkcip 11.23.2015 03:19 PM

https://youtu.be/7AJX4flkK_w

The Soup Nazi 11.25.2015 08:21 PM

Kim was right about this album. She's wrong about Springsteen, though. But I forgive her! Anyway, if you haven't bought it yet go for the b'lieve i'm goin (deep) down... edish...

Mortte Jousimo 11.26.2015 01:51 AM

After the Kurtīs most boring gig ever I saw in Helsinki some years ago I just canīt believe he can do anything interesting. (Kim was also in a gig in a same festival that was just fantastic!)

The Soup Nazi 11.26.2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

After the Kurtīs most boring gig ever I saw in Helsinki some years ago I just canīt believe he can do anything interesting.

Well, listen to the album then, dammit. Don't you kids find everything for free on YouTube and shit?

Bytor Peltor 11.27.2015 04:20 AM

KPFT 90.1 - The Soul Brother Show is playing nothing but Jimi Hendrix until 0500 CST......tune in and get your Hendrix on.

Jimi would have turned 73 today!

Mortte Jousimo 11.27.2015 08:15 AM

Quote:

Well, listen to the album then, dammit. Don't you kids find everything for free on YouTube and shit?

Hey, I got much more interesting albums to listen that I have time. I just canīt listen everything. I just canīt stand Kurtīs loose voice. And I am really far way from kid.

Mortte Jousimo 11.27.2015 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
KPFT 90.1 - The Soul Brother Show is playing nothing but Jimi Hendrix until 0500 CST......tune in and get your Hendrix on.

Jimi would have turned 73 today!

...and I believe he would have been still playing!

krischanski 11.27.2015 01:53 PM