Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

noisereductions 12.06.2015 12:29 PM

I don't disagree about the shift in tone on TT. But I do fucking love that album. I like Malk's first solo album a lot too for what it's worth.

Torn Curtain 12.06.2015 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I hate Kurt Vile.....

You seem to hate (at the exception of Neil Young) any singer / songwriter though...

The Soup Nazi 12.06.2015 02:08 PM

"I Wish I Was Your Mother" especially. What a song.

Mortte Jousimo 12.07.2015 07:32 AM

Mott the Hoople was just so great band! Mad Shadows is my favourite, of course Mott rocks as hell!

Antagon 12.07.2015 05:31 PM

Bytor Peltor 12.07.2015 08:40 PM

John Zorn - The Illusionist

evollove 12.09.2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I was surprised when the teacher (who, ostensibly, was an expert in this kind of crap) actually managed to thread together a cohesive and believable narrative to the song, line by line.

Isn't this story more about lunatic exegesis than SM's words? Dude, going from "career" to "Korea" sounds cool. That's it. End of story. I suppose I could pull out my Derrida and write up 1000 words (Times New Roman, double-spaced, due by Friday) arguing otherwise, but I'd have to be paid a lot.

And anyway, I'd still secretly believe that SM's words are about sounding cool. And they do sound cool, especially at the beginning. My only point is he's shallow, has never developed (he's actually gotten worse) and clearly doesn't have a coherent thought to share with the world.

Quote:

I'm more of a music guy than a lyrics guy, really. The lyrics are just a vehicle for the vocal instrument to join in and be part of the music.

Plus lyricists who take themselves too seriously almost always suck.

Which makes me appreciate the good ones all the more. Besides, there are a number of very good and funny lyricists. Even Leonard Cohen has a sense of humor. I'm hard pressed to think of a great writer without wit. You're basically saying writers who suck suck.

Wait, I thought your beef against Zep was Plant's dick-waving words?

Bad lyrics distract, good lyrics are a nice treat on top, and great lyrics are an integral part of the song itself. I don't think one could swap out nursery rhymes for "It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding" and still hope to achieve the same effect. People join hands and sing the words to "We Shall Overcome," they don't just hum the tune. Some words have mattered a hell of a lot.

But I'll agree music is usually more important. I can think of exactly one artist I sometimes listen to whose words are amazing and whose music I don't care much for: Randy Newman. His lyrics are punk as fuck, but there are only about five or six tunes I really like.

Rob Instigator 12.09.2015 11:21 AM

These lyrics are as simple as can be, but I love em

I been up, I been down.
Take my word, my way around.
I ain't askin' for much.
I said, Lord, take me downtown,
I'm just lookin' for some tush.
I been bad, I been good,
Dallas, Texas, Hollywood.
I ain't askin' for much.
Take me back way back home,
not by myself, not alone.
I ain't askin' for much.

evollove 12.09.2015 08:43 PM

Wow. All this Pavement talk made me take a quick dash through Crooked which I haven't heard a note of in years and years. Oh, how the memories poured in, from the time in my life when this was growing into a favorite. Damn it's still a good record. No wonder I played it a thousand times. I even like how the second side starts to wane after "Range Life", then ends with a good epic-ish song--the very same sequence found on so many classic rock albums. And the rhyme "Shake their hand/Protein plan" is good stuff.

If they had swapped out "Hit the Plane Down" for "Grounded" and then broke up after the album's release, I'd probably be wearing a Pavement tattoo right now.

Severian 12.09.2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Wow. All this Pavement talk made me take a quick dash through Crooked which I haven't heard a note of in years and years. Oh, how the memories poured in, from the time in my life when this was growing into a favorite. Damn it's still a good record. No wonder I played it a thousand times. I even like how the second side starts to wane after "Range Life", then ends with a good epic-ish song--the very same sequence found on so many classic rock albums. And the rhyme "Shake their hand/Protein plan" is good stuff.

If they had swapped out "Hit the Plane Down" for "Grounded" and then broke up after the album's release, I'd probably be wearing a Pavement tattoo right now.

I like hit the plain down. It's very dumb of course, but that groove is an excellent Fall tribute. I used to have a major thing for "Fillmore Jive" as well, but it doesn't hit me quite like it used to.

I think "Grounded" would work on the album, for sure. But if things had gone down like that, we would have no Wowee Zowee. I know Wowee is a bit of a point of contention for Pavement fans. A sort of line in the sand that some OG's refuse to step across. But to me Wowee is a necessary album. Every great band should have at least one record that doesn't prop itself up great individual cuts, and instead only really works as an album. Kinda like Embryonic by the Lips, or even A Thousand Leaves. These albums all reveal their highlights over time, which is awesome. It forces the listener to process the album from the bottom up, instead of from the top down (so to speak).

I'm all for record like Crooked that work on a song by song basis, and get boosts from singles, but I also appreciate albums that stretch out the peaks and valleys over the course of the entire record. It makes for a more personal experience, in my opinion.

Severian 12.09.2015 11:38 PM

I enjoy talking about Pavement. It feels right again. I listened to S+E on the way home from work today and it was a very "hell yeah!" experience.

It's important to remember where you came from ;)

Jeremy 12.10.2015 12:44 AM

I don't believe in greatest band of all time debates.

That being said.... Pavement is the best band ever.

evollove 12.10.2015 07:13 AM

Quote:

But if things had gone down like that, we would have no Wowee Zowee.

Exactly. With Wowee they became a real, almost normal band. And who needs that? I love how the early stuff is on the verge of falling apart but never quite collapses. Exciting stuff. Again, I don't think a healthy recording budget is Pavement's friend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
I will say "Fillmore Jive" was the last great song SM wrote.

Can you imagine if that was also the last song they ever recorded? I mean, they'd be legends on a VU level, I think.

----

Unrelated confession: everyday for the past week or so, I've been listening to "Subdivisions" by Rush. Can't seem to get through a 24 hour period without putting it on.

Mortte Jousimo 12.10.2015 12:10 PM

Quote:

Os Mutantes - Os Mutantes.

Really great sixties album! the Entity is lot better than those few songs I´ve heard before (at least Minha Menina & Bat Macumba, recently listen the whole album). Really love their funny psychedelia mixing Brasilian folk music! Have to listen their other albums too.

evollove 12.10.2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Really great sixties album! the Entity is lot better than those few songs I´ve heard before (at least Minha Menina & Bat Macumba, recently listen the whole album). Really love their funny psychedelia mixing Brasilian folk music! Have to listen their other albums too.

The opening song is one of my favorites ever, "Panis et Circenses"

Mortte Jousimo 12.11.2015 08:28 AM

Just listened Mutantes-album. It´s as great as the first one!

Mortte Jousimo 12.11.2015 03:01 PM

Fotheringay. Awesome!

The Soup Nazi 12.11.2015 04:26 PM

Quote:

I can think of exactly one artist I sometimes listen to whose words are amazing and whose music I don't care much for: Randy Newman. His lyrics are punk as fuck, but there are only about five or six tunes I really like.

evollove 12.11.2015 06:14 PM

You're right. The lyrics kind of suck too.

The Soup Nazi 12.11.2015 06:54 PM

noisereductions 12.11.2015 11:54 PM

Quote:

there's something so... 'classic' about Crooked Rain. I dont' know how to say it right. It feels like one of those sort of records that in 20 years people will still talk about.

Don't get me wrong, i think S&E is the better record but it might be more niche. Crooked sounds so universal. How do you not hear "Cut Your Hair" or "Range Life" or "Silence Kit" or... you get it - and not just connect immediately like "ok, yeah, I get this band." ?

stu666 12.13.2015 01:05 PM

Bytor Peltor 12.15.2015 05:56 PM

Black Hole - Land Of Mystery (1985)

The Soup Nazi 12.15.2015 06:20 PM

Mortte Jousimo 12.16.2015 09:26 AM

Magma: Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandöh

Sooo great!

stu666 12.16.2015 04:47 PM

ilduclo 12.16.2015 04:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2lBhzNGn_k

Mortte Jousimo 12.18.2015 11:17 AM

Funkadelic: America Eats Its Young & Cosmic Slop

Funky!

Severian 12.18.2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Funkadelic: America Eats Its Young & Cosmic Slop

Funky!

I need more Parliament/Funkadelic in my life. I only have Mothership Connection and Maggot Brain, and some best of LP's from here and there.

I really love Maggot Brain though. It's just phenomenal. I don't exactly know where to go next as far as studio albums go, since the Parliaments/Parliament/Funkadelic/George Clinton discography is so sprawling and more than a little intimidating, I'm not ashamed to say.

Oh, I have Ain't That Funkin' a little Hard on You too.. But maybe you- or someone- could provide me with some direction about where to go from Maggot Brain. ??

Severian 12.18.2015 12:23 PM

Oh yeah, right now I'm listening to *this* motherfuckin' shit right here!

Rob Instigator 12.18.2015 12:26 PM

Mortte Jousimo 12.18.2015 03:08 PM

Quote:

for early Funkadelic try the first two albums. latter Funkadelic: Hardcore Jollies and One Nation Under a Groove.

Parliament: I love the first album though it's really a Funkadelic project. and Motor Booty Affair.

i have all the 70's p-funk so yeah...there. and smell the jeri curl juice.

I agree. All the albums before and after Maggot Brain are just great, but I like first album the most! I also love One nation, Uncle Jam wants you-album also got that classic (Not just) Knee Dip.

Rob Instigator 12.18.2015 03:21 PM

While I love me some Parliament/Funkadelic, I find their albums a bit scattershot for me, so I love love love this best of comp, Uncut Funk.

The Soup Nazi 12.18.2015 03:44 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah, right now I'm listening to *this* motherfuckin' shit right here!

...Posted the guy who just absolutely needed to have every album's title written below its respective image because he couldn't be bothered to drag-&-drop stuff onto Google Images, which is exactly what I had to do because I didn't know what the fuck this was.

Current "hip-hop"/"R&B" stuff is some truly silly shit I quite simply cannot get into, by the way. A gargantuan amount of music magazines and sites have chosen that Lamar character's album as the year's best. I honestly don't know what they're all smoking. Megaconsensus can be a bitch — remember 1997, when OK Computer was considered the alpha and omega of everything? Time Out Of Mind and Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space have aged far better. They haven't aged at all, in fact.

Rob Instigator 12.18.2015 04:13 PM

Radiohead is still a thing? In ten years they will be "remembered" as a one hit wonder CREEP........

Severian 12.18.2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
...Posted the guy who just absolutely needed to have every album's title written below its respective image because he couldn't be bothered to drag-&-drop stuff onto Google Images, which is exactly what I had to do because I didn't know what the fuck this was.

Current "hip-hop"/"R&B" stuff is some truly silly shit I quite simply cannot get into, by the way. A gargantuan amount of music magazines and sites have chosen that Lamar character's album as the year's best. I honestly don't know what they're all smoking. Megaconsensus can be a bitch — remember 1997, when OK Computer was considered the alpha and omega of everything? Time Out Of Mind and Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space have aged far better. They haven't aged at all, in fact.

Sorry, that's the new Pusha T album that just dropped today.
The title is King Push: Darkest Before Dawn: the Prequel
(See how I just take a second to supply the information without being a whiny cunt about it? Yeah. Not hard.)

And I know all about that wild and crazy google images tech, believe it or not. It's not at all new.
However, as I said, I was without a computer, and there is no "drag and drop" function on google's iPhone app.

Even if there was, it's easier just to supply the information. Why the hell not?
I apologize for failing to do so myself.

---
Totally agree about Ladies and Gentleman... > Ok Computer. Also agree that Kendrick didn't drop the year's best album. I think a lot of people are just kinda going with the flow on that one because they don't want to seem dense. It's a great album, but it's not perfect, and I really doubt the average joe has been blasting it all year.

Severian 12.18.2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Radiohead is still a thing? In ten years they will be "remembered" as a one hit wonder CREEP........

Hmm. I dunno. I do know that Ok Computer doesn't hold up. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't adore at least ½ of their music from Kid A on.

OkC sounds as dated now as The Bends did in 2005. Best album of the '90s my scrawny Spiritualized, Flaming Lips, Unwound and Aphex Twin loving ass. SO much more awesome music came out during that decade.

Can't actually recall my favorite 90's album at the moment, but I doubt there's any radiohead in the top 50.

Severian 12.18.2015 11:54 PM

I told you I love Mothership, and Maggot Brain is a fave of mine.

But yeah, I need more 'Swhy I asked.

Severian 12.19.2015 12:03 AM

Quote:

well I gave it to you. now go get the rest!

I surely will.

Mortte Jousimo 12.19.2015 01:50 AM

Quote:

early Funkadelic is scary good. it's like Electric Ladyland never ended and continued in through the 70's!

YES! Funkadelic hits me much deeper than for example Sly & the Family even I of course like much also Sly. Have to listen Maggot Brain today, haven´t listen it for ages!