Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Mortte Jousimo 12.19.2015 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Hmm. I dunno. I do know that Ok Computer doesn't hold up. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't adore at least ― of their music from Kid A on.

OkC sounds as dated now as The Bends did in 2005. Best album of the '90s my scrawny Spiritualized, Flaming Lips, Unwound and Aphex Twin loving ass. SO much more awesome music came out during that decade.

Can't actually recall my favorite 90's album at the moment, but I doubt there's any radiohead in the top 50.

This is the greatest album of nineties of me:

http://bigron.home.xs4all.nl/sonic/leaves.jpg

Your mentions of the nineties bands ever get even near of itīs greatness.

Mortte Jousimo 12.19.2015 11:29 AM

Well, I think Radiohead just isnīt my beef at all.

Severian 12.19.2015 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
This is the greatest album of nineties of me:

http://bigron.home.xs4all.nl/sonic/leaves.jpg

Your mentions of the nineties bands ever get even near of itīs greatness.

Sorry- I actually totally agree. A Thiusand Leaves is without question one of my favorite Sonic Youth albums, one of my favorite albums of the '90s and one of my favorite albums ever by my favorite band of all time.

But I usually try to leave Sy off my lists because if I didn't, they'd overpopulate every decade from the '80s to the 00's. I think ATL is up there with Daydream Nation, Sister and Bad Moon Rising.

So I pretty much agree with you completely.

Severian 12.19.2015 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
hey, radiohead got good after Ok cumputer. KId A's got some serious electronic jams.

I really like Kid A, Hail to the Thief and The King of Limbs (especially the In the Basement version, which really put the kraut front and center).

I even like Ok Computer... half of it, at least. "Airbag", "Electioneering", "Karma Police" ... "Paranoid Android" is kinda alt-rock 101 at this point, but still packs a punch.

To me, they got better when they started ripping off Aphex Twin, and embraced Can and Kraftwerk and post-punk. I think "There, There" is an excellent song with an undeniable kind of momentum to it, and "Myxomatosis" is still one of my favorite songs of the '00s. It may not be as cool to like them as it once was, but all this talk about Oasis and SP and STP has reminded me that, for over well over a decade, Radiohead was the real deal in modern rock. They were our Beatles for a few years, and I'm not gonna pretend I don't like them just because they're not the hypest band in the world anymore.

Severian 12.19.2015 02:00 PM

Still, I can't quite tolerate "Just" anymore. Or "Let Down", which sounds like a Foo Fighters song with more depressing lyrics in hindsight. I think they would have done well to include songs like "Polyethylene", "melatonin" and "palo alto" on OKC, in place of snoozers like "Let Down"... It would have made for a much more interesting project, if not as commercially viable.

I would have probably thrown "Rabbit in your headlights" and even "Talk Show Host" on there if I'd been running things. Artists do that kind of thing all the time now.

I think REM's New Adventures in HiFi probably should have received the attention that went to Ok Computer. That record did the same things, but better. And I'm only a fairweather REM fan at best.

Once Radiohead stepped out of alternative land, they made some damn memorable music.

noisereductions 12.19.2015 02:50 PM

The ok comp bsides were amazing.

Mortte Jousimo 12.19.2015 02:53 PM

Quote:

Sorry- I actually totally agree. A Thiusand Leaves is without question one of my favorite Sonic Youth albums, one of my favorite albums of the '90s and one of my favorite albums ever by my favorite band of all time.

But I usually try to leave Sy off my lists because if I didn't, they'd overpopulate every decade from the '80s to the 00's. I think ATL is up there with Daydream Nation, Sister and Bad Moon Rising.

So I pretty much agree with you completely.

Well, if we leave SY out, then I think John Parish/Pj Harvey: Dance Hall at the louse point is best nineties album. Somedays I think itīs even better than ATL. And I think itīs really underrated, havenīt heard ever anybody here in SYG telling how great it is.

Severian 12.19.2015 06:31 PM

I've definitely heard it mentioned on here before. There's no shortage of PJ fans here. But you're right, that is an excellent album.

Mortte Jousimo 12.20.2015 02:35 AM

Well, I think it has been me who has mentioned it here. And if I remembered right, no-one commented it. Yes, I know here are PJ fans, but to me it seems many seem to ignore those both excellent albums she made with John.

Bytor Peltor 12.22.2015 06:20 PM

The Soup Nazi 12.22.2015 07:07 PM

The Soup Nazi 12.24.2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

It's Christmastime in Washington
The Democrats rehearse
Gettin' into gear for four more years
Of things not gettin' worse
The Republicans drink whiskey neat
And thank their lucky stars
They said, 'He cannot seek another term
There'll be no more FDRs'

And I sat home in Tennessee
Staring at the screen
With an uneasy feeling in my chest
And I'm wonderin' what it means

So come back Woody Guthrie
Come back to us now
Tear your eyes from paradise
And rise again somehow
If you run into Jesus
Maybe he can help you out
Come back Woody Guthrie to us now

I followed in your footsteps once
Back in my travelin' days
Somewhere I failed to find your trail
Now I'm stumblin' through the haze
But there's killers on the highway now
And a man can't get around
So I sold my soul for wheels that roll
Now I'm stuck here in this town

Come back to us now
And rise again somehow
If you run into Jesus

There's foxes in the hen house
Cows out in the corn
The unions have been busted
Their proud red banners torn
To listen to the radio
You'd think that all was well
But you and me and Cisco know
It's going straight to hell

So come back, Emma Goldman
Rise up, old Joe Hill
The barricades are goin' up
They cannot break our will
Come back to us, Malcolm X
And Martin Luther King
We're marching into Selma
As the bells of freedom ring

Come back to us now
And rise again somehow
If you run into Jesus

Mortte Jousimo 12.25.2015 02:38 PM

Stones: Live at the Tokyo Dome 1990

One of the greatest Stones lives!

Torn Curtain 12.30.2015 08:55 AM

David Bowie - Lazarus

I like it.

The Soup Nazi 12.30.2015 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain

Is that Peter Hook on bass? ;):D

Seriously though, I don't own any Bowie albums post-Scary Monsters but I think I'm gonna have to get jiggy with Blackstar. This shit sounds really good.

Antagon 12.31.2015 04:40 AM

Again, because that's the sort of thing I gravitate towards on the last day of the year I guess.

stu666 01.01.2016 12:01 PM

New Ashtray Navigations album, available for free here: https://ashtraynavigations.bandcamp....-of-volume-one

A Thousand Threads 01.01.2016 12:41 PM

^good stuff!

Severian 01.01.2016 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
Again, because that's the sort of thing I gravitate towards on the last day of the year I guess.

Excellent winter music. I'm enjoying a bit of Station to Station myself at the moment.

The Soup Nazi 01.01.2016 06:38 PM

Torn Curtain 01.02.2016 10:44 AM

Herbie Hancock - Maiden voyage.

Amazing track.

Severian 01.02.2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Great album. My favorite since Real Gone.

Wonder when we're going to get a new Tom Waits album.

Mortte Jousimo 01.02.2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Great album. My favorite since Real Gone.

Wonder when we're going to get a new Tom Waits album.

I love Alice too. Hard to say which is better, Blood Money or Alice. I have waited also new album, itīs possible to come this year if he has kept the same time between albums as between last ones (well if you donīt think Orphans as a new album, then we have to wait two more years).

evollove 01.02.2016 04:40 PM

After Black Rider, I waited. And waited. And waited, for six years. Then came the so-so Mule Variations. My once-feverish love for the man's work cooled and has never fully returned. A pity.

If there's a pause in the record making--which is fair; dude has a life, kids-- make sure to write some killer material meanwhile, is the lesson I think.

confusion is next 01.02.2016 04:47 PM

Severian 01.02.2016 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
After Black Rider, I waited. And waited. And waited, for six years. Then came the so-so Mule Variations. My once-feverish love for the man's work cooled and has never fully returned. A pity.

If there's a pause in the record making--which is fair; dude has a life, kids-- make sure to write some killer material meanwhile, is the lesson I think.

I loved Mule Variations at first. It had this kind of kitchen sink sound that reminded me of Experimental Jet Set. Also I loved the fact that the Grammy twats went nuts over it, despite the fact that it's basically an anti-rock, borderline experimental album.

But Real Gone blew it out of the water. Improved on the basic formulas on MV so much that there's really no reason to go back to it.

I've been a Tom Waits fan for many many years, and in my opinion Real Gone is one of his top 3 records, easily.

Mortte Jousimo 01.03.2016 05:25 AM

To me "I got my Waits back" -albums were Blood Money & Alice. Really loved also Real Gone & Orphans, also Glitter & Doom & Bad As Me.

I wasnīt very disappointed about Mule Variations, but of course it was really "letīs give something to every Waits fan" album after the very tight, crippled entity of Black Rider (which I still think is the greatest album of Waits). There are some really great songs: Big In Japan, Lowside of the road, Hold On (this always cheers me when Iīm low), Get Behind the Mule, Black Market Baby, Eyeball Kid & Chocolate Jesus. And the rest of the album is also not bad. I was really happy to hear the beats and his familiar voice in Big in Japan after that long waiting.

BTW, all the albums after Mule (except Real Gone) has been less or more "letīs give them everything" -albums. Too much to asked he will make next one tight entity like Black Rider?

Severian 01.03.2016 12:51 PM

I don't know if that's too much to ask for Waits. His entire discography is pretty solid, really. All the way back to the crooning Heart of Saturday Night. But Waits is again one of those special artists for me, like SY, Aphex Twin, Velvets... all time favorite who can really do no wrong.

Mortte Jousimo 01.03.2016 01:57 PM

Same to me. But also Waits is really special artist in these "well-planned artistic career" days that itīs always possible he will do nothing anymore. If so, I will be sad. But on the other hand he already got awesome discography without any really bad album, so itīs always better he will do nothing than he will do a bad album (but also I donīt believe itīs possible).

evollove 01.05.2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

"letīs give them everything" -albums.

That's it. Or part of it. I don't like the boring ballads on MULE. There's nothing like the haunting beauty of "Who Are You" off his masterpiece BONE MACHINE. Also, I don't think "normal" production serves him well. I want it gritty.

I should re-listen to MULE. Again, I think a six year wait created too much anticipation that he probably couldn't fulfill.

Quote:

itīs always better he will do nothing than he will do a bad album

Dylan in the 80s: a bunch of albums, all of which range from barely tolerable to super shitty (except Oh Mercy).

Dylan in the 90s: not much released, but most of it at least listenable

Severian 01.05.2016 11:13 AM

I sometimes forget how shitty Dylan actually got in the '80s. Off the top of my head I can think of only two or three '80s Dylan songs that would go on a career spanning playlist for me. I mean- wow, he had some low lows.

The '90s were better.

stu666 01.05.2016 02:20 PM

Wolf Eyes @ Cafe OTO 2014-08-02

Available here: https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/shop/wolf-eyes-020814/

The Soup Nazi 01.05.2016 05:08 PM

Quote:

Dylan in the 90s: not much released, but most of it at least listenable

Time Out Of Mind: BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF THE GALAXY.

Severian 01.05.2016 07:42 PM

I started the day with Disappears - Low: Live in Chicago, then moved on to David Bowie's Low, then played Low - C'mon for some reason, then I marathoned my favorite Beatles songs on Spotify.

Now I'm feeling very Beatlesy indeed.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.05.2016 09:31 PM

I was listening to the sounds reverberating into my ear from the dentist's cleaning tool grindimg against my teeth. It was making the most fantastic sound similar to guitar feedback that i would love to create. I was inspired

_slavo_ 01.06.2016 06:15 AM

Tetsu Inoue - Ambiant Otaku

Mortte Jousimo 01.06.2016 07:45 AM

Velvet: Live at the Maxīs Kansas City

First I was really suprised why Lou sings Afterhours, but then remembered Maureen wasnīt at all in this record.

evollove 01.06.2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Time Out Of Mind: BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF THE GALAXY.

I much prefer OH MERCY, if it's fair to compare the two. I think it is. So have fun with "Make You Feel My Love" and "'Til I Fell in Love with You" and throwaways like "Dirt Road Blues" while I enjoy OH MERCY and won't have to skip a single track.

I kid. Sort of. "Love Sick," "Not Dark Yet," and "Standing in the Doorway" are amazingly great songs.

I've had a long relationship with the man's music. I stepped away for quite a while, but I'm getting back into things. Reading a ton of bios, re-listening to the records and coming to new realizations (Under the Red Sky isn't so bad; Planet Waves kind of sucks). Last night I fell asleep in bed reading Chronicles.

But how many more Dylan albums can there be? So I've been cautious with the newer stuff. I'm not very familiar with the last decade or so. I'll get around to it. They are waiting for me and I will heed their call. But maybe I'll wait til he dies. Still, out of curiosity, I put on TEMPEST and the first track was so fucking good--a very worthy entry in the "train song" genre--I might go ahead and absorb that one into my bloodstream.

The Soup Nazi 01.06.2016 06:32 PM

Quote:

Planet Waves kind of sucks

The album as a whole may not be his finest, but "Going, Going, Gone" is one of his best songs. Richard Hell sure agrees with me! Anyway, there's a great story told by Joni Mitchell about that album vs Court And Spark:

Quote:

[...] Right at the time I made Court And Spark, which was my most successful album, David Geffen was trying to sign Dylan for what turned out to be the Planet Waves project. David and I were sharing a house. I'd been working on Court And Spark under his nose, and maybe he heard it through too many stages, but I knew I was making something special.

I was so excited the night I finished it. I brought it back to the house and played it. There were a bunch of people there, including Dylan. I played Court And Spark for everyone, and Bobby fell asleep and snored all the way through it. When the record came to an end, the people went, "Huh?"

Then they played Planet Waves and everybody jumped up and down. There was so much enthusiasm. Now, Planet Waves wasn't one of Bobby's best projects, and I hadn't expected it to be a competitive situation, but for the first time in my career I felt this sibling rivalry. It was an ordinary record for Bobby, a transitional piece, and yet everybody was cheering. Finally, one of the women took me aside and said, "Don't pay them any attention. Those boys have no ears."

Severian 01.06.2016 08:12 PM

I really like "Sweetheart Like You"... it's corny as hell, but something about it just hits home. I don't exactly like other songs that sound similar, but "Sweetheart Like you" has always, against my better judgment, been one of my top latter-day Dylan picks.

It's kind of like how I hate Mick Jagger's solo material, but "Don't Tear me Up" just totally kicks ass.

I also like "Most of the Time" ... Clearly I'm not as big a Dylan buff as many of you are, so maybe these admissions are preposterous in some way I can't really understand, since I rarely listen to anything from after Blood on the Tracks. If that's the case, forgive me. I know not what I say.