Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

LifeDistortion 04.25.2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yikes! missed this. all ok now?

Yeah, I'm good now, mostly just uncomfortable than anything. Anyways yesterday I watched Isle of Dogs

Really enjoyed this movie. I'm a fan of Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox, and I think he upped his stop motion game with this movie. I hope he does more stop motion movies, they're really good.

!@#$%! 04.25.2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Yeah, I'm good now, mostly just uncomfortable than anything. Anyways yesterday I watched Isle of Dogs

Really enjoyed this movie. I'm a fan of Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox, and I think he upped his stop motion game with this movie. I hope he does more stop motion movies, they're really good.

oh, cool.

yes. he's always been a very clever boy, and filming toys is his sweet spot. i don't mean this in a derogatory way at all. i mean you can tell even from his adult movies that he might just always be 12, but smarter. someone has to. same as what i see as his french counterpart, michel gondry, and his clever tricks.

i don't know how to explain but there is this moment in a boy's life where their childish imagination still lives. it's kind of magical. you're no longer a dumb kid but you're not yet a teenager either. i remember back at that age i wanted to be a secret agent, and to make rockets. then girls happened, haa haa haa.

this age i mean

maybe a little earlier even. at the beginning of that age, not the end. you know what i mean?

ilduclo 04.25.2019 02:50 PM

I walked out of Isle of Dogs after about 45 minutes. Worst thing I'd seen in a very, very long time.

Severian 04.25.2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
I walked out of Isle of Dogs after about 45 minutes. Worst thing I'd seen in a very, very long time.

Wh...

Why?

ilduclo 04.25.2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

there

choc e-Claire 04.25.2019 06:14 PM

Our Media teacher, the infamous Mr. Greenwood, threatened to spoil Endgame for us if we fucked around in class today.

I'm realising that I want to see it a hell of a lot more than I thought, so I'm wary.

!@#$%! 04.25.2019 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Wh...

Why?

;)

LifeDistortion 04.26.2019 01:43 PM

I liked the new Spike Lee Joint, I never read the book its based off of. Its a pretty good satire, of course like the best Spike Lee movies it will entertain you but also piss you off.

demonrail666 04.26.2019 03:49 PM

The Maltese Falcon

Vertigo

I've been revisiting old established classics, not to see if I find anything new or different in them, just because they never stop being brilliant however many times I watch them.

!@#$%! 04.26.2019 08:24 PM

crazy rich asians

no, it’s not an unmitigated piece of shit. it’s superfucking corny or chuckleworthy camp, depending.

and yes, embarrassing to watch haaa haaa haaaa. but it’s not without merit.

for me it’s a piece of asian anthropology—i’ve never been to singapore but i read about it every day.

then the cinematography is this insane bright color. i have a friend who is a painter from china and her blues and yellows are fucking insane. i see some of that here. what are the colors of the chinese rainbow? every culture picks their hues. i want their pantone numbers.

and, hm, too many good looking women, haaa haaa haa.

and yeah it has its funny moments. about 1/2 of it is funny, the other 1/2 is high fructose corn syrup.

yeah, if you appreciate film as a craft, the look of it is insane

now i have to find/read this issue

Severian 04.26.2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

there

Well now I understand exactly why you hated it so much.

Fuggin joyless Nazi

ilduclo 04.27.2019 07:52 AM

Was the most puerile and oldster pretentious faux hipster thing ever. Even included Bryan Cranston.

Severian 04.27.2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Was the most puerile and oldster pretentious faux hipster thing ever. Even included Bryan Cranston.

I liked it.

Of course it’s pretentious. It’s Wes Anderson. I thought it was fun.

And pretty. :)

!@#$%! 04.27.2019 12:00 PM

http://time.com/longform/crazy-rich-asians/

choc e-Claire 04.28.2019 03:30 PM

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse.

I was really impressed with this one; the animation is super impressive but you don't notice because it's all so self-contained. (There are probably better words for that).
Managed to hit all the right boxes, and the individual Spiderpeople were fun. Authoritative ranking: Noir > Gwen > Morales > Ham > Parker > Peni.

Rob Instigator 04.29.2019 02:30 PM

Saw Spidey Into Spiderverse. Cool stuff. Very well-done and fun as fuck.

super cute.

!@#$%! 04.29.2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I liked it.

Of course it’s pretentious. It’s Wes Anderson. I thought it was fun.

And pretty. :)

https://www.ft.com/content/eb83a888-...f-ea66e967dd44

Severian 04.29.2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

I’m actually not that pretentOKIamshaddupyouare

demonrail666 04.30.2019 05:07 AM

Basic Instinct

One of my all-time guilty pleasure movies - thinking about it, Paul Verhoeven might even be my all-time guilty pleasure director.

My DVD has a great commentary by Camille Paglia, which is little more than a two hour love letter to Sharon Stone and the whole femme fatale tradition. Which means I have precisely the same taste in women as a middle age lesbian.

!@#$%! 04.30.2019 05:17 AM

o man i want that paglia commentary

and verhoeven is fucking great