Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

!@#$%! 05.05.2019 12:13 PM

hahaha, i missed rita hayworth’s glorious entrance into this thread

knowing her history makes that photo a bit tragic for me. damn you, knowledge!

demonrail666 05.05.2019 12:30 PM

Yeah, she was a pretty tragic case. She was also one of the 1st stars forced to go through plastic surgery to make her look less Spanish.

Pre-surgery Rita Cansino

!@#$%! 05.05.2019 12:31 PM

margarita. yeah...

!@#$%! 05.05.2019 03:02 PM

how to get ahead in advertising

richard grant is very funny but in the end this feels like half a movie or something. dunno...

tw2113 05.05.2019 08:35 PM

I'm calling Game of Thrones movies for the rest of the season, due to episode length

!@#$%! 05.05.2019 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
I'm calling Game of Thrones movies for the rest of the season, due to episode length

haha. true i guess.

!@#$%! 05.05.2019 11:03 PM

senses of cinema review of the great beauty

http://sensesofcinema.com/2014/featu...-great-beauty/

pretty good, but i don’t rate the social realism the same way the reviewer does. still a good read.

!@#$%! 05.11.2019 07:26 PM

needed a trash flick today. found the right one with:

BRING IT ON

feels so 90s lmao. the clothes, the cars, the slang, the terrible music, and the “hilarious” sexual assault (weird the shit we laughed about 20 years ago). talk-back movie all the way.

also, post-buffy eliza dushku on it. great as usual

glory/glorificus from buffy is in it tooo hahahha.

and finally: kirsten dunst has nothing on gabrielle union

mmm-mmm-mmmm!

lolololol

tw2113 05.11.2019 10:31 PM

mmmm cheerleaders

HenryHill51 05.12.2019 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
just finished rewatching

ah, goddamn, sorrentino, what a tremendous movie

a sort of update of la dolce vita, in a way, in a way, in a way

It's one of the best films of the decade....a swirling, ebullient ode to a certain city (Rome) and the array of friends, hangers-ons and society within. It's also a mysterious and moving exploration of the way we meld the past and present, brimming with imagination and life. Scenes like the midnight entrance to an ancient museum, Jep’s interaction with a magician and his giraffe, and his various walks around the city, with gazes into the eyes of couples in restaurants and meandering streets feel like dreamy excerpts from a novel. I love everything about this movie.

I've seen virtually all of Sorrentino's other stuff. I think I'm one of the few who adores "This Must Be the Place" and his early films like "One Man Up" and "The Consequences of Love" deftly establish his style and tempo beautifully.

_tunic_ 05.13.2019 03:52 AM

Bill Murray rules on this one

And then the sequel:

Severian 05.13.2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

And then the sequel:

BAAAAAHAHAHAHA 😂😂😂

Rob Instigator 05.13.2019 09:38 AM

Watched this yesterday with wife. I read last year that this movie was originally written as a homosexual love story, and that it was edited to be about low-level italian mobster guys. The movie does not make sense as two cousins. it only makes sense as two lovers, fighting for each other. supposed to be funny. only sometimes funny.

choc e-Claire 05.17.2019 09:09 PM

Would never have watched this if my parents hadn't put it on while we were eating dinner. Actually loved it, really related to Denise (and, to a lesser extent, William), enjoyed the soundtrack.

The rape joke was a bit ew, but I'm willing to look past it. I also love all of the names in the credits - Michelle Brookhurst as 'Girl Whose House It Is'.

The Gazpacho Gestapo 05.17.2019 10:11 PM

Would never have watched this if my parents hadn't put it on while we were eating dinner. Actually loved it, really related to Willow Ufgood (and, to a lesser extent, Sorsha), enjoyed the soundtrack.

The rape joke was a bit ew, but I'm willing to look past it. I also love all of the names in the credits - Val Kilmer as 'Madmartigan'.

tw2113 05.18.2019 07:47 PM

Despite the parody, I do legitimately love Willow. Can't Hardly Wait is also a good one but not as epic-feeling.

demonrail666 05.19.2019 05:05 AM

Ed Wood

I'm not the biggest Tim Burton fan but this felt like a real labour of love and was clearly an affectionate take on Ed Wood rather than just an opportunity to mock him. Kind of a love-letter to a whole brand of desperate Hollywood romantics that Burton clearly identifies with - even if his career has elevated him above them in terms of success.

ilduclo 05.19.2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHill51
It's one of the best films of the decade....a swirling, ebullient ode to a certain city (Rome) and the array of friends, hangers-ons and society within. It's also a mysterious and moving exploration of the way we meld the past and present, brimming with imagination and life. Scenes like the midnight entrance to an ancient museum, Jep’s interaction with a magician and his giraffe, and his various walks around the city, with gazes into the eyes of couples in restaurants and meandering streets feel like dreamy excerpts from a novel. I love everything about this movie.

I've seen virtually all of Sorrentino's other stuff. I think I'm one of the few who adores "This Must Be the Place" and his early films like "One Man Up" and "The Consequences of Love" deftly establish his style and tempo beautifully.

Yeah, that’s a really enjoyable movie. I haven’t seen any of his other works, but will try to find them. Thanks!

Severian 05.19.2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Ed Wood

I'm not the biggest Tim Burton fan but this felt like a real labour of love and was clearly an affectionate take on Ed Wood rather than just an opportunity to mock him. Kind of a love-letter to a whole brand of desperate Hollywood romantics that Burton clearly identifies with - even if his career has elevated him above them in terms of success.

This and Edward Scissorhands are the only truly GOOD Burton films. This is better.

demonrail666 05.19.2019 03:27 PM

I've never actually seen Edward Scissorhands but as Ed Wood is the only one that I have seen that I've really, wholeheartedly enjoyed, you may well be right.