Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

evollove 04.01.2016 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I think he was on some adrenalin-pumpin'... thing. ;)

Hm. His last album was probably the worst thing he's ever made. The shouting between songs. Bad album titles. He might be losing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I wish Kanye West would "touch up" his live records.

It's an interesting debate. Do you want a document or a pleasing listen? Obviously both are ideal--like that SY 1996 German "Hallucinogenic Preserve" show, which has the even further thrill of looking good.

The Soup Nazi 04.01.2016 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Hm. His last album was probably the worst thing he's ever made.

I like Playland! Worst thing he's ever done is covering Depeche Mode.

evollove 04.01.2016 08:41 PM

Don't think I've heard the DM cover. Don't think I'll ask for a link. The evidence piles higher.

I appreciated his attempt on Playland: make a relatively guitarless new wave record. Still thought it sucked. "Easy Money" is probably the best track. I can't help but think of Cave's song of the same name, and the comparison isn't flattering to Johnny.

One thing led to another, and now I'm listening to SISTER for the first time in awhile. When's the last time you heard it? I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I am of the opinion that it is good. I sometimes forget these fundamental things and need a reminder.

Severian 04.01.2016 08:57 PM

Is Johnny Marr still involved in whatever the hell Modest Mouse is these days?

When I first learned of that pairing, after Good News for People Who Like Bad News ruined my perception of what I believe was once one of the most singular and interesting bands in the world, I thought it was going to be a good thing... Thought it was going to give the band a shot in the arm, and maybe end up being kind of like SY and Jim O'Rourke, which of course lead to two of the best SY records ever. But alas, this was not the case.

evollove 04.01.2016 09:03 PM

Nope. A Modest best-of is a grand thing, but the last good thing they made was LONESOME. You might say MOON but you'd be wrong. Pity. The released an album this year, didn't they? It sucked, didn't it?

--

(I'm now on "Pacific Coast Highway." This album is unquestionably the best thing I've heard in a long, long time. Weird how I forgot just how good. Weird how I don't listen to SY at least once a day.)

Severian 04.01.2016 09:15 PM

Quote:

Nope. A Modest best-of is a grand thing, but the last good thing they made was LONESOME. You might say MOON but you'd be wrong. Pity. The released an album this year, didn't they? It sucked, didn't it?

--

(I'm now on "Pacific Coast Highway." This album is unquestionably the best thing I've heard in a long, long time. Weird how I forgot just how good.)

No, Lonesome was definitely the best. But I have a lot of love for Moon & Antarctica. It ALMOST felt like some kind of paradigm shift was on the horizon when that album came out. I remember hearing "The Stars Are Projectors" for the first time, and thinking there wasn't a single band in the region, or even in MM's general "class" that was doing anything like that. It lacked the speedball intensity of Lonesome Crowded West, but it had some freaky new shit going on, and I still think "Stars.." is one of their best songs.

Of course, Unwound was doing better things. But they were coming to the end of their career, and Modest Mouse felt like they might be turning into something big.

I was rooting for them big time, and probably saw them eight or ten times between Moon and Good News.... and then I never saw them again.

Severian 04.01.2016 09:18 PM

This is a Long Drive... just turned Fucking 20 years old. That's such a mindfuck for me. I'm just old enough for that to make me feel really, really old. And the long term failure of the band just makes that entire period of my life feel like a complete waste of Fucking time. But for a while, they were the best thing around for west coast kids.

hirsute_biped 04.02.2016 11:00 PM

https://soundcloud.com/primaryinform...r-excerpt-1979

Severian 04.03.2016 01:21 AM

Quote:

It was in 2015. I didn't hear all of it. Just bits and pieces. And yes, sadly, it sounded like shit. No surprise there though. That blue album about the ship or whatever sucked and so did Good News.

pepper_green 04.04.2016 07:51 PM

The Traveling Wilburys Vol 1.

can't tell me this isn't the best album of all time. you get the lame 80's Dylan, mid 70's bullshit Harrison, mid-eighties MTV Petty, and the 60's smooth cool white country soul of Orbison.

what more you need? Al Kooper's organ? Steve Winwood's blue eye soul? it would perfect if backed up by Crazy Horse.

you might say, gee.... pepper_green, your a drunk.

I say i drifted on that flame turned to smoke and made atmospheric by chemistry then breathe out breathe in exhaled on that 80's cloud that's within you. grease and tune that Harley. the ride has just begun. the 2010's is the future. we'll be there soon.

evollove 04.06.2016 02:41 PM

Quote:

And the long term failure of the band just makes that entire period of my life feel like a complete waste of Fucking time.

I hope that's hyperbole. I mean, you did things with your time other than enjoying MM?

Quote:

Meh. I'm not even sure I qualify as a Pixies fan anymore. I have no idea what they're up to, or who they even are anymore.

They changed too. Thing is, I like the new Pixies. Indie Cindy>Trompe. Yep. Ain't no typo. But then, I have a fondness for albums almost universally disliked.

The Soup Nazi 04.06.2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

But then, I have a fondness for albums almost universally disliked.

Scary...

evollove 04.08.2016 11:45 AM

Gross.

Hm, I was thinking of Cure's THE TOP, R.E.M.'s AROUND THE SUN, stuff like that.

But while I'm not exactly fond of SQUEEZE I can easily defend it. Squint your ears, as it were, and it sounds like an especially boring Grateful Dead album or something. It's not utter shit by any means. It's just bland classic rock, and there's too much of that to waste time mustering ire for this particular specimen.

evollove 04.08.2016 02:38 PM

I have this playing in two different windows, set a few seconds apart. Try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Miu1...&nohtml5=False

EDIT: Three windows. Much better.

Severian 04.08.2016 10:23 PM

Quote:

I hope that's hyperbole. I mean, you did things with your time other than enjoying MM?

They changed too. Thing is, I like the new Pixies. Indie Cindy>Trompe. Yep. Ain't no typo. But then, I have a fondness for albums almost universally disliked.

Indy Cindy > Trompe? Really? If that's how you feel then we probably shouldn't waste each other's time talking about this.

And yeah that MM stuff was hyperbole. Still, it blows when you watch a band grow and evolve into something great, and then devolve into something much worse than you ever thought would be possible.

guest 04.10.2016 06:48 AM

The Soup Nazi 04.10.2016 03:22 PM

Quote:

EDIT: Three windows. Much better.

Ah yes, the third Reich...

evollove 04.11.2016 01:26 PM

Alright, even your worst enemy must give you props for that.

I've been doing this with other pieces. 18 musicians? Fuck off. I got 54. Interestingly, it doesn't really work with multiple pieces. Different Trains and City Life simply don't go well together at all, for example. But I hope someone can prove me wrong and discover something cool.

The Soup Nazi 04.14.2016 05:01 PM

The Soup Nazi 04.20.2016 07:53 PM

This thing SHREDS!

Severian 04.24.2016 01:30 AM

Specifically this song ("Separations")

http://youtu.be/Exm5hFRo1P0

It's a little pop-punky, but there's just enough grimey, gnarly, messy energy to make it enjoyable. When I'm looking for something like this, I *need* something like this. And it does just fine.

Bytor Peltor 04.25.2016 02:25 PM

Walter Wegmuller - Tarot: "Die Welt"

greenlight 04.25.2016 02:55 PM

Smog - Prince Alone in the Studio

The Soup Nazi 04.26.2016 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
Smog - Prince Alone in the Studio

I must spread some reputashe around before giving it to greenlight again.

The Soup Nazi 04.27.2016 08:26 PM

stu666 04.28.2016 04:23 PM

The Soup Nazi 04.28.2016 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666

You have an Ecstatic Peace! stereo system?
:D

stu666 04.28.2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

You have an Ecstatic Peace! stereo system?

Yeah :P

now spinning the diamond sea 12"

The Soup Nazi 04.28.2016 04:59 PM

Quote:

Yeah :P

now spinning the diamond sea 12"

Is that a chick magnet or what?

Bytor Peltor 04.28.2016 08:15 PM

Bytor Peltor 04.30.2016 09:23 AM

elizabeth veldon - a childhood of tape hiss and violence

The Soup Nazi 04.30.2016 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

I like it. Will buy it. Brother BP, you make me feel like an ignorant mook, but many thanks!

Bytor Peltor 04.30.2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

I like it. Will buy it. Brother BP, you make me feel like an ignorant mook, but many thanks!

If anyone is the mook, it's ME ;)

......and you know this from trying to help me with DL's and such in years past!

I'm just trying to pass along odd and interesting music when I become aware and I'm always looking to others for new discoveries.

Something else I've been listening to this morning: Cyclopsycho

Learned of her this past February when she appeared on Dead-Air's, What's This Called?

gmku 05.02.2016 12:56 PM

Lately, a bit of jazz.

Saw BORN TO BE BLUE over the weekend.

Don't expect a faithful re-telling of Chet Baker's life. It is, however, an enjoyable movie about a jazz musician, and it can be seen also as a good love story. Ethan Hawkes and Carmen Ejogo are great together. And there's the soundtrack, of course.

Bytor Peltor 05.03.2016 03:14 PM

Journey Into The Light

evollove 05.03.2016 05:01 PM

^ Amazing. And all the youtube recommendations on the side haven't wasted my time either.

"Gruppo di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza was an avant-garde free improvisation group considered the first experimental composers collective."

Funky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiIT7K4A6rU

Not funky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI6EZFG7d-w

Bytor Peltor 05.04.2016 09:39 AM

^^^so, do you prefer the funky or not funky? To be honest, I've never considered anything "funky" as avant-garde. For myself, I consider the "Niente" track more of a splattered jazz......no right or wrong, just how I've categorized it over the years.

YES - things songs / full albums on the side don't disappoint!

My Wednesday morning cassette action:

Crank Sturgeon - Hotel 4

Bytor Peltor 05.04.2016 09:40 AM

Quote:

Is that wax considered pink or bubblegum?

You should start a weekly Periscope show where you pull something from your collection and play it :D

Severian 05.04.2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Is that wax considered pink or bubblegum?

You should start a weekly Periscope show where you pull something from your collection and play it :D

Not a bad idea.

evollove 05.04.2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

^^^so, do you prefer the funky or not funky? To be honest, I've never considered anything "funky" as avant-garde. For myself, I consider the "Niente" track more of a splattered jazz......no right or wrong, just how I've categorized it over the years.

"Spattered jazz" is certainly more poetic and probably more accurate than "funky." Those two tracks are so different, I can't say I really prefer either.

Is Gruppo Di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza super famous? Should I feel stupid for never having heard them until yesterday?

EDIT: I am stupid. The more I dig around 60s avant-garde German music, the more I realize Can wasn't particularly original. I had no idea.