Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   disappointing bands (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21932)

Toilet & Bowels 05.28.2008 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I don't know how many serious 8-bit musicians you really get out there, and trust me, I have listened to so much of that stuff that will last me a lifetime. What I find deplorable about a lot of people on that scene is the fact that most of what they do was done already by people thirty, forty, fifty or sixty years ago. It seems like a big chunk of these people lack any real perspective of what's been done electronically before, therefore a lot of that music sounds to me often aimless and superflous.

yeah but all those early grime riddims like wiley's "ice rink" that sound like they were made on playstations are amazing

sarramkrop 05.28.2008 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Agree with all of these.

I'd add Can, Faust, Acid Mothers Temple, Miles Davis, Lightning Bolt.

POOKIE, YOU COULD GET LYNCHED FOR POSTING THAT ON THIS FORUM!!

I love all the ones you've mentioned. Acid Mothers can be disappointing, though, and the same goes for some Miles Davis records.

sarramkrop 05.28.2008 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
yeah but all those early grime riddims like wiley's "ice rink" that sound like they were made on playstations are amazing

Sure, Grime though is a different kettle of fish to these ears. For a start, musicians make better use of bass sounds etc.

Toilet & Bowels 05.28.2008 06:07 AM

i can understand the appeal of making music on 8bit systems, but like circuit bending it seldom leads to interesting results

sarramkrop 05.28.2008 06:19 AM

It comes down to talent and not messing around. There's a Swedish 8bit band called Puss that I've always liked a lot. They play the shit out of those things, though.

atsonicpark 05.28.2008 10:11 AM

Exactly, I used to make music with 8 bit sounds but now the sound sickens me. It's too... I dunno... there's no depth to it beyond "oh, it's like an old video game!"

Anyway, I'd agree Can and Faust -- while good -- were pretty disappointing...

Everyneurotic 05.28.2008 10:26 AM

i say destroy all music.

sarramkrop 05.28.2008 10:51 AM

Please don't, or else we'll be able to hear only what people have to say about it.

jon boy 05.28.2008 10:55 AM

les savy fav bored me beyond belief. my friends raved but they massively underwhelmed.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.28.2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
les savy fav bored me beyond belief. my friends raved but they massively underwhelmed.

Explain, please. Are you talking about their last album ?

atsonicpark 05.28.2008 12:10 PM

Yeah, their last album sucked and was mighty boring. Actually, they're not THAT good of a band to begin with -- but they certainly never "sucked" except that last album. That dude's such a fucking good guitar player. He's pretty much the only reason to bother listening to that band. Worst vocalist I've heard since Little Jimmy fucking Urine.

Toilet & Bowels 05.28.2008 12:13 PM

i heard some stuff by les savy fave about 5 or 6 years ago, i can't remember what it sounded like but i can remember thinking why listen to les savy fav when you can listen to the jesus lizard?

jon boy 05.28.2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HECKLER SPRAY
Explain, please. Are you talking about their last album ?

all of them and live as well, the singer was trying to be funny but it was just a bit shit and the records sounded very tried and tested.

Rob Instigator 05.28.2008 12:55 PM

I enjopy the fuck out of Les Savy fav records! RAWK! You gots to ahve BOMBAST in yr RAWK sometime!

Whoop whooop!

Toilet & Bowels 05.29.2008 05:51 AM

it's just a pussy version of the jesus lizard

Rob Instigator 05.29.2008 08:54 AM

it sounds nothing like Jesus lizard!
a whole different kinda band

Cantankerous 05.29.2008 08:55 AM

mmmm jesus lizard

i think ill turn some on right now, very loudly if you please

DNAINTHEDNA 05.29.2008 08:56 AM

miles davis is def hit or miss, and mostly miss

melvins are the same way

Toilet & Bowels 05.29.2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
it sounds nothing like Jesus lizard!
a whole different kinda band

maybe you've just got pussy ears?

Rob Instigator 05.29.2008 09:15 AM

huh? I love the jesus lizard! They just sound nothing alike.

Miles Davis is fucking 100 GOLD until you hit his fusion shit.

he made music for two and a half decades before that you know. ALL grade A Genius shit