Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

lithium 12.20.2006 11:34 PM

I'm reading the forum, bad day.

Dead-Air 12.20.2006 11:44 PM

I'm reading Pavane by Keith Roberts, which is an alternate history where the Catholics assissinated Elizabeth I, thereby paving the way for the Spanish Armada to sack England and set up a Catholic state, keeping all of Europe in the Dark Ages well into the 20th Century.

It's part of a group book read on this Science Fiction message board that I am one of the Admins for. We do the group reads every couple months.

Tokolosh 12.21.2006 04:39 AM

Let us start off on the right foot by making some wrong decisions.

'If I'd read this book ten years ago, I'd be Prime Minister now.'
Gordon Brown

jon boy 12.21.2006 05:24 AM

fear and loathing in las vegas.

Norma J 12.21.2006 05:26 AM

Highway to Hell: The Bon Scott biography.

ALIEN ANAL 12.21.2006 01:18 PM

i am reading highway to hell: the bon scott biography
im living in a nightmare shes looking like a wer dremn quote and reply reply page 22 23 norma j what are you read page 23 sonic youth gossip mozzial fire dox

Inhuman 12.21.2006 01:22 PM

cuetzpalin 12.21.2006 01:39 PM

jean-paul sartre - the wall

Iain 12.21.2006 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I'm reading Pavane by Keith Roberts, which is an alternate history where the Catholics assissinated Elizabeth I, thereby paving the way for the Spanish Armada to sack England and set up a Catholic state, keeping all of Europe in the Dark Ages well into the 20th Century.

It's part of a group book read on this Science Fiction message board that I am one of the Admins for. We do the group reads every couple months.

Sounds like a good one. I need some good sci-fi at the moment. Although I suppose that one isn't really sci-fi. Historical fiction? I suppose it's what you call 'speculative fiction' but that's a term made up by cunts to appeal to pricks. Sci-fi for people who are afraid of liking sci-fi. (ok, rant over)

I am reading The Final Journals of William Burroughs then I have Ghost of Chance by Burroughs to read and The White Guard by Bulgakov after that.

Better_Than_You 12.21.2006 03:12 PM

I just finished reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

Its horribly depressing.

Have any of you read it?

cuetzpalin 12.21.2006 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama
From a very good friend, I got an early Christmas present...

classics;)

Norma J 12.21.2006 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
i am reading highway to hell: the bon scott biography
im living in a nightmare shes looking like a wer dremn quote and reply reply page 22 23 norma j what are you read page 23 sonic youth gossip mozzial fire dox

What the fuck?

RdTv 12.21.2006 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Better_Than_You
I just finished reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

Its horribly depressing.

Have any of you read it?

yes. very depressing.

Dead-Air 12.22.2006 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
Sounds like a good one. I need some good sci-fi at the moment. Although I suppose that one isn't really sci-fi. Historical fiction? I suppose it's what you call 'speculative fiction' but that's a term made up by cunts to appeal to pricks. Sci-fi for people who are afraid of liking sci-fi. (ok, rant over)

I am reading The Final Journals of William Burroughs then I have Ghost of Chance by Burroughs to read and The White Guard by Bulgakov after that.

"Speculative fiction" is kind of a broad term to include all of SF, Fantasy, Horror, and all points in between. I don't have the same chip on my shoulder about it that you do, but I do agree that the broadness leads to ambiguity. Pavane, and other alternate history books such as PKD's Man in the High Castle or any number of Harry Turtledove's books, are essentially a sub-set of Science Fiction. However, Pavane in particular borders on Steampunk and Science Fantasy as well. It's pretty good, a look at the thread in our message board will find me having somewhat mixed feelings about it (I use the name ljim2000 therebouts). Overall, it's quite well written, however.

I do reccomend the Author Central forum from the Science Fiction board as a great place to get all kinds of conversational reccomendations of SF to read since you say you're looking for that.

James Blonde 01.03.2007 10:39 AM

James Blonde enjoyed today Ronald David Laing's book "Knots".

http://www.oikos.org/knotpageen.htm

Silent Dan Speaks 01.03.2007 07:20 PM

I'm reading William Faulkner's "The Sound and the Fury".

Next I'm going to read Ken Kesey's "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Hip Priest 01.03.2007 07:24 PM

I'm about to start JA Froude's Life and Letters of Eramus.

finding nobody 01.03.2007 07:26 PM

"Howl"

Got it for a Christmas gift

and
The Man In The High Castle

(also a Christmas gift)

Iain 01.03.2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
"Speculative fiction" is kind of a broad term to include all of SF, Fantasy, Horror, and all points in between. I don't have the same chip on my shoulder about it that you do, but I do agree that the broadness leads to ambiguity. Pavane, and other alternate history books such as PKD's Man in the High Castle or any number of Harry Turtledove's books, are essentially a sub-set of Science Fiction. However, Pavane in particular borders on Steampunk and Science Fantasy as well. It's pretty good, a look at the thread in our message board will find me having somewhat mixed feelings about it (I use the name ljim2000 therebouts). Overall, it's quite well written, however.

I do reccomend the Author Central forum from the Science Fiction board as a great place to get all kinds of conversational reccomendations of SF to read since you say you're looking for that.

Thanks...

My upset with the speculative fiction term basically boils down to the fact that it seems like a cheap ploy to dress up sci-fi and make it acceptable for people that think sci-fi is for geeks. Same with graphic novels, it's a comic for fuck sake. (although I must admit I will use the term graphic novel...I am a prick)

Prisstina 01.03.2007 08:12 PM

The Devil Wears Prada.

jheii 01.03.2007 08:45 PM

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, fuck yes.

whorefrost 01.03.2007 09:04 PM

Face of Another by Kobo Abe.

Grete 01.04.2007 07:38 AM

I'm reading The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene..
about
theoretical physics, cosmology ( I love it) and string theory (hmm quite strange..)
this book is great! read it ;)

Tokolosh 01.04.2007 07:49 AM

That book looks interesting.
I've been looking into String Theory myself, and came across "The Official String Theory website".
Mind-boggling stuff.

Superstringtheory

ps: Nice to see you back Grete. :)

ALIEN ANAL 01.04.2007 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
What the fuck?

The question was, what am i reading....and well that was exactly what i was reading when i was typing it...i was being silly.

Magublafix 01.04.2007 09:09 AM

The Last Night Of The Earth Poems-----Charles Bukowski
God and the State --- Bakunin
Jean-Michel Basquiat ---- Leonhard Emmerling
Austrian Psycho ---- Franzobel

Iain 01.04.2007 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
Face of Another by Kobo Abe.

I need to read some Kobo Abe. All the films that have been made of his novels are amazing.

James Blonde 01.04.2007 09:39 AM

James Blonde dives into Milorad Pavič' "Dictionary of the Khazars".

Malachi_Constant 01.04.2007 10:10 AM

This big ass book on world mythology. Can't immediately remember who wrote it.

LittlePuppetBoy 01.04.2007 12:30 PM

Galapagos (for a second time) by Kurt Vonnegut

cuetzpalin 01.04.2007 12:34 PM

techings of don juan (third time) by carlos castaneda

Grete 01.05.2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
That book looks interesting.
I've been looking into String Theory myself, and came across "The Official String Theory website".
Mind-boggling stuff.

Superstringtheory

ps: Nice to see you back Grete. :)

oh thank you so much..:)
so you read something about the superstringtheory (which I personally found quite strange..) in anyway I recommend you this book by Greene > The Elegant Universe

I read it, and I found Greene's writing really clear :cool:

nomadicfollower 01.05.2007 01:50 PM

The Perrenial Philosophy - Aldous Huxley

A great book by a great man.

cuetzpalin 01.05.2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
The Perrenial Philosophy - Aldous Huxley

A great book by a great man.

yeah! i've never read any of his books (i think i gotta do it soon) but i really respect him. he's a man

cuetzpalin 01.05.2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Mind-boggling stuff.

what 'bout stephen hawking?

nomadicfollower 01.05.2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuetzpalin
yeah! i've never read any of his books (i think i gotta do it soon) but i really respect him. he's a man

You really should. It would probably be easiest to read Brave New World first and then from there choose whichever book catches your fancy.

terminal pharmacy 01.05.2007 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
You really should. It would probably be easiest to read Brave New World first and then from there choose whichever book catches your fancy.

huxley is a genius, antic hay is my fave

im reading facing percy grainger

compulsive diarrhea, jico 01.05.2007 06:13 PM

again...

youthoftomorrow 01.06.2007 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
Galapagos (for a second time) by Kurt Vonnegut

i love that book.

presently, i've immersed myself into Dune Messiah and The Road to Dune.

Bunbury 01.07.2007 09:13 PM

This nasty little library shrew* finally allowed me to take it out longer than the alotted 2 hour limit.

---------