Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

GravitySlips 09.03.2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lautrejec
havent listened to stereolab yet, im curious though
Any specific recommendations ?

all the 90s shit. ALL OF IT

pepper_green 09.03.2016 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lautrejec
havent listened to stereolab yet, im curious though
Any specific recommendations ?

Refried Ectoplasm then Emperor Tomato Ketchup. I love Stereolab. or at least I still think I do. good pot head music.

pepper_green 09.03.2016 05:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3c2WUVZ9NQ

guest 09.03.2016 09:36 PM

don't undersell the real early stuff, stereolab made some really great shoegaze/dream pop in the beginning. cobra and phases worth it for blue milk alone. music for the amorphous body study centre, fab four suture, the nww collaborations.....there's a lot of filler and their best stuff seems to find itself in really odd places but definitely worth stumbling through.

joachim nordwall turning up on entr'acte with another blinding record, great run at the moment.

pepper_green 09.04.2016 01:16 AM

The Stones:

Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed and singles in between. I want to hate guitars but Keef is riff master. can't hate. greatest music ever.

Mortte, you should check that Thelonious Monk album. dude balls and dances. nefarious style.

evollove 09.04.2016 01:54 PM

Random Fugazi. Probably the most testosterone-y band I listen to.

I can't understand 75% of what they're singing, especially Guy. Now I know what singing can sound like for Mortte and others for whom English is a second language. "Something something garble chair? stop yeah all night."

ilduclo 09.06.2016 11:17 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ahHiNpl4I

Joe Morris
Jamie Saft
Mary Halvorson

d.sound 09.06.2016 12:47 PM

i'm finally listening to the kailtlyn aurelia smith / suzanne ciani FRKWYS collab after a few months of waiting. i am pleased as a peach.

The Soup Nazi 09.06.2016 03:12 PM

pepper_green 09.07.2016 03:09 PM

lots of Blur and Oasis

these two bands make realize what a fountain of youth my working class lifestyle can be.

Rob Instigator 09.08.2016 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
lots of Blur and Oasis

these two bands make realize what a fountain of youth my working class lifestyle can be.

you are loving this soft ass bullshit radiopop and you slam Drake and Future? Make up your mind.

d.sound 09.08.2016 09:22 AM

i like that sonic youth appeals to such a broad spectrum of musical tastes.

pepper_green 09.08.2016 05:00 PM

lots of 311 and Hoobastank.

have you ever heard 311? they go from really hard fast hard rock to cool In the way of our lord Jah!! Rastafari! reggae. they have two singers and are bad ass.

The Soup Nazi 09.08.2016 05:07 PM

Quote:

lots of 311 and Hoobastank.

pepper_green 09.08.2016 05:59 PM

goddamn trolls!

I agree, we should attack them before they express and expound their hate on 311 and hoobastank.

fuck u trolls!!!

louder 09.08.2016 06:09 PM

Googled 311.

Why do two of them look like Eminem?

pepper_green 09.08.2016 06:12 PM

it's proto Eminem dude. it was the mid-late 90s. pre Carson Daily.

A Thousand Threads 09.08.2016 06:28 PM

a friend of mine gave me a pretty extensive collection (around 40gb) of old gospel, blues and folk stuff mostly from the us south.
it's basically all i've been listening to for 2 month.

right now i'm obsessed with nervous norvus.

nervous norvus

hilarious stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3efQj_sCceQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueMoGDqHchU

cat's got the maddest rhymes

confusion is next 09.09.2016 12:39 PM

Severian 09.09.2016 12:47 PM

I'm shamelessly listening to and enjoying the fuck out of this:

I know it's the kind of indie rock that is almost lame by nature at this point, but holy hell, this little nerd makes it seem like the Strokes never should have existed. Everything intersting about them is here, better and longer and more genuine sounding.

If I had to come up with an equation, it would be CSH = (Strokes + Guided by Voices) x Television.

I like it, and I liked last year's album.

louder 09.09.2016 01:16 PM

^ Still need to give this a listen.

Rob Instigator 09.09.2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

it's proto Eminem dude. it was the mid-late 90s. pre Carson Daily.

Eminem had records out in 95

Severian 09.09.2016 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

You know what he meant.
Also, what did Em have out in '95? That's pre-Invincible.

Either way, I just see a couple white dudes with bleached hair.

Severian 09.10.2016 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
^ Still need to give this a listen.

You definitely should. I guess I don't know enough about your taste in rock-type-stuff to say if I think you'll like it or not, but honestly, based on my own taste, I would never guess that I'd enjoy it so much.

I read about Will Toledo and CSR before Teens of Style came out, and got the impression it would be some really silly, late model Weezer, power pop bullshit. Everything about it, including that terrible "band" name, made me think it was just too young for me.

I think it was on a Sonic Youth-based Apple Music station that I first heard the album. It really *is* kind of silly, power poppy shit, but it's expertly crafted and had a ton of personality... more than you'd think would be possible for anyone trying the whole subdued, ironic tension thing in 2016. I'm not about to claim it's genius, but it's effective. His riffs and the way he uses his voice make the music work, and his willingness to write 8 minute songs gives him a lot more wiggle room than the Strokes ever had. He touches on everything from Sebadoh to Fugazi to fucking Fleeywood Mac, and it's hard to say what his biggest inspiration is. But every time I put either of the LPs on, I am very glad I did.

a baby in 1980 09.11.2016 03:03 AM

To me, this will never get old.

Torn Curtain 09.11.2016 06:06 PM

David Bowie - Stay (live on U.S. TV (?), 1976)

guest 09.11.2016 10:33 PM

Severian 09.11.2016 11:51 PM

Ian Willaim Craig - Centres

This is fucking great. I'd recommend it. It seems to fall under the "electronic" heading according to most sites, but you needn't be a fan of electronic or techno to dig this.

deflinus 09.12.2016 04:56 PM

pepper_green 09.13.2016 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

like you would know.:rolleyes:

proceed.

*jacks off*

greenlight 09.14.2016 03:58 AM

I have started this morning with Die Haut - Intoxication (Kim Gordon Vocals) from Head On album from 1992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR9aJOsPBQ4

a lot of stuff in-between but and ended up with some D.R.I. Crossover, what is it punk, hardcore, thrash from late 80ties and I just want to jump into moshpit right now, hahaha.

Bytor Peltor 09.14.2016 09:06 AM

Thunderbolt Pagoda - The Reclamation

The Soup Nazi 09.15.2016 03:30 PM

d.sound 09.15.2016 03:42 PM

i love tracks 4 and 7. the rest sounds too much like his band Kemialliset Ystävät.

greenlight 09.17.2016 03:19 AM

Delia Derbyshire · Elsa Stansfield
Circle of Light (Original Electronic Soundtrack Recording)
2016 Trunk Records (recorded in 1972)

sonic sphere 09.19.2016 05:57 AM

pepper_green 09.19.2016 10:29 PM

NiN- pure guava

2 pac - in utero

pavement - pinkerton

rolling stones - let it be

bob marely - 40oz. to Freedom

Counting Crows - yourself or someone life you

The Cure - meat is murder

lil wayne - trap house

radiohead - songs for the dead

bob Dylan - revolver

can - the man machine

beck - daydream

husker du - double nickles on the dime

nirvana - bug

joy division - metal box

ramones - blue moves

all these albums are classic, you want to give me shit about it then go right ahead. youtube can't be wrong

evollove 09.22.2016 12:45 PM

No fucking Beatles albums on youtube? Some individual songs, but I can't play an album start to finish.

Wait. Can't find "Strawberry Fields." WTF?

Funny thing is, there are cover versions of entire albums and a lot of listeners can't seem to tell. Here's HELP! for example. All the albums seem to have been covered similarly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF85JBA7D7s

Weird, no?

pepper_green 09.22.2016 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
No fucking Beatles albums on youtube? Some individual songs, but I can't play an album start to finish.

Wait. Can't find "Strawberry Fields." WTF?

Funny thing is, there are cover versions of entire albums and a lot of listeners can't seem to tell. Here's HELP! for example. All the albums seem to have been covered similarly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF85JBA7D7s

Weird, no?

no! it's the beatles album dude. it's just been fucktard manipulated in the first degree. I know cuz I've heard Help a buzillion freaking fucking times. I know every nook and cranny.

funny enough they did do the kinda stuff your talking about in the 60's with bands like the Beach Boys. getting another fake hack band to play the hits. I learned this from Mark Prindle.

evollove 09.22.2016 05:46 PM

On closer listen, it's a hodge podge of stuff, to avoid copyright infringement, I guess.

There ARE covers in there; the title track is obviously someone else. Some are weird versions culled from Rockband somehow. And some, like Yesterday, are the real thing fucktard manipulated in the first degree.

ALL the Beatles albums have received this treatment, yet the real things are nowhere to be found. Weird, I insist.