Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

d.sound 09.17.2019 11:36 AM

I started rewatching The Wizard last night. Awesomely bad! Fred Savage! Christian Slater! Jenny Lewis! Yup, that Jenny Lewis.

It's basically an hour and a half ad for Nintendo.

LifeDistortion 09.17.2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d.sound

Specifically, featuring the first reveal of a Super Mario Bros. 3. That was such a big thing for Nintendo owners, of which I was one.

tw2113 09.17.2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d.sound
I started rewatching The Wizard last night. Awesomely bad! Fred Savage! Christian Slater! Jenny Lewis! Yup, that Jenny Lewis.

So you're saying this character described the power glove AND the movie?

_tunic_ 09.18.2019 04:19 AM

quite impressively uncomfortable.
The movie starts with a naked Scarlett Johansson undressing another woman, and then taking on her clothes. Which sounds exciting, except that the other woman is dead :)

!@#$%! 09.18.2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

The movie starts with a naked Scarlett Johansson undressing another woman, and then taking on her clothes. Which sounds exciting, except that the other woman is dead :)

hahahaha

yes, great movie

_tunic_ 09.19.2019 12:12 PM

A suggestion to anyone that has never seen this movie before. This week it is 75 years ago that these events occurred. See also the wiki page on Operation Market Garden

I must admit that it's a long time since I've seen it myself. I've seen so many documentaries about WOII as a kid that I don't want to watch war movies anymore.

d.sound 09.19.2019 10:35 PM

SMB 3 is still my favorite game of all time.

ilduclo 09.21.2019 08:53 AM

Criterion remaster version of The Human Condition, 1959 anti imperialism epic

https://www.criterion.com/films/2106...uman-condition

!@#$%! 09.28.2019 11:05 PM

2 rewatches:

earlier:

the fifth element
still fun. and sure leeloo is hot and all that but nothing in that movie is as demented and hilarious as chris tucker

except maybe for ian holm hahaha.

later:

marathon man

total 70s classic. suspenseful and terrifying. and marthe keller, mmm-mmm-mmmm!
i avoided using a film frame here for spoilers. highly recommended.

_tunic_ 10.18.2019 06:34 AM

I was a bit hesitant to watch this, I don't like these type of movies usually, I would never watch biopics about 9/11 for instance. But this is a great movie, and I would highly recommend it if you've never seen it.

Then I watched what could have been the prequel to Game Of Thrones

"you will believe" it says on the poster, but it's quite unbelievably bad :p

especially the guy that played the King. Even more unbelievable that they made three sequels of it.

Severian 10.18.2019 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

Excellent movie.

Never thought a naked Scarlett would *not* be sexy, but this is very much not that kind of naked scene. More like you feel like you’re someone’s prey just by watching.

Very original, very fucked up film. Want to see more from this director.

_tunic_ 10.19.2019 09:43 AM

nice outfit, but stupid story
not a good movie

h8kurdt 10.22.2019 03:55 AM

Gotta love the reactions to Scorcese, Coppola, and now Loach saying that Marvel films are generally a waste of time. So many marvel fans getting themselves into a fury about it all. Bless em.

choc e-Claire 10.22.2019 04:01 AM

God, I know. The Marvel movies are excellent, and some of the most enjoyable mass-market entertainment ever made. But it's just that, mass-market. They're not "cinema", they're "movies".

And to help wash off the art-school pretension that suggests, here's my latest watching, a masterpiece of Australian culture:

HenryHill51 10.26.2019 01:07 AM

Model Shop (1969)- One of the best films of the 60's. From the opening shot that doesn't just establish the quaintly ramshackle abode of Los Angeleno George (Gary Lockwood) but starts at one house next to an oil pump and then slowly tracks down the entire beach-side street eventually pivoting to its main location, Jacques Demy's film is hell bent on essaying the sparkling terrain of, as one character says, the "baroque geometry" of all Los Angeles. I know this recently got some repertory love for being a major influence on Tarantino and his "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood", but its sooo much better than that. That ending, wow. And the L.A. streets turning from glistening sunshine to fluorescent twilight dusk. Gah. Love this film so much.

And a few October Halloween watches:

Mirror, Miror (1991)- Evil mirror is the gateway for murderous demons. Sounds better than it really is, but Rainbow Harvest (what happened to her?) is the reason to watch it.

Witchboard (1986)- There's like 78 more of these, but I can't bring myself to watch anymore than the first.

Lost Hearts (1973)- One of those BBC Christmas/Halloween specials from the 70's. Quite creepy and atmospheric, just like I like 'em.

!@#$%! 10.26.2019 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHill51
Model Shop (1969)- One of the best films of the 60's. From the opening shot that doesn't just establish the quaintly ramshackle abode of Los Angeleno George (Gary Lockwood) but starts at one house next to an oil pump and then slowly tracks down the entire beach-side street eventually pivoting to its main location, Jacques Demy's film is hell bent on essaying the sparkling terrain of, as one character says, the "baroque geometry" of all Los Angeles. I know this recently got some repertory love for being a major influence on Tarantino and his "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood", but its sooo much better than that. That ending, wow. And the L.A. streets turning from glistening sunshine to fluorescent twilight dusk. Gah. Love this film so much.

never seen or heard of it so—thank you!

eta: they don’t have it at the criterion channel (right now anyway) but i’ll keep an eye out

ilduclo 10.26.2019 02:38 PM

Diary of a Chambermaid, 2015 version with Lea Seydoux (who looks of an ex of mine) and Vincent Lindon. Pretty great period piece. A lot of subtlety and a nice solo piano soundtrack

NYCgaf16 10.26.2019 05:17 PM

tw2113 10.26.2019 06:43 PM

Groundhog Day

choc e-Claire 10.28.2019 10:01 PM