Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Severian 12.27.2019 10:24 AM

This too. With fam during holiday. Good film. Just brimming with Salingerisms — the brilliant family and its sad, complex dynamic. Noah Baumbach, like his mentor Wes Anderson, seems to be obsessed with this kind of thing, but Baumbach has a gritty, almost realistic approach while Anderson is obviously outlandish and cartoony much of the time.

Some ACTING! Moments from ScarJo but overall good

h8kurdt 12.27.2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

Very depressing and surreal. Reminded me a bit of Barton Fink in some ways. Joycean In it’s story-telling. Didn’t love it but glad I finally watched it.

For me I've noticed that it takes me a couple of watches of each film to really enjoy it and this was no different. I watched it again a couple of months back and really enjoyed it. I really liked the whole idea that he's trapped in the same cycle, and the end of the day he's never going to get the success he so desperately wants. The music was just great too.

_tunic_ 12.29.2019 04:57 AM

Damn what a great movie this is!

The scientist that invents a computer to track down the golden chocolate bars, only to get the answer "I'm not gonna tall you, what does a computer need with chocolate?" :D

_tunic_ 12.29.2019 03:28 PM

A must see

A stunning and sad true story

tw2113 12.29.2019 11:05 PM

Pre-90s digital retouchup of the original Star Wars.

choc e-Claire 12.30.2019 12:52 AM

Watched with the family to get out of the house on a hot day. Found it aggressively mediocre.

tw2113 12.30.2019 01:34 AM

The ever great movie The Frighteners.

Michael J. Fox's last leading role in a movie, of all things.

ilduclo 12.30.2019 08:58 AM

Couple of duds
New Star Wars, Joker

LifeDistortion 12.30.2019 06:46 PM

Were there any movies that were first time watches that were holes in your film viewing you had to fill?
This year I watched the Sean Connery Bond movies fully for the first time this year. Saw All The President's Men, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Who's That Knocking On My Door, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Cabaret, Ocean's Eleven(the original), Cool Hand Luke, Cleopatra Jones, and Midnight Cowboy

_tunic_ 12.31.2019 08:21 PM

Very cool film. It gets a bit too weird towards the end though.

One that's weird from the very beginning and I'm halfway watching it, in the 30th anniversary remastered edition:

tw2113 12.31.2019 09:51 PM

Labyrinth is awesome, i don't care what anyone says.

!@#$%! 12.31.2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
One that's weird from the very beginning and I'm halfway watching it, in the 30th anniversary remastered edition:

^^A CLASSIC

and for me, just now

supposed to be a tale of the macabre but fellini’s touch makes it FUCKING HILARIOUS

a+++++ in the satire dept.

tw2113 12.31.2019 10:08 PM

Debating watching Star Wars Rogue One tonight.

!@#$%! 01.01.2020 06:21 PM

desperately seeking susan

sort of a fitting movie for a hangover, featuring an entertaining but anodyne plot, sights of new york when it was still a fun place, and more importantly, very pretty 80s girls, as this poster demonstrates. rosanna hhnnnnnnnnggggg

not sure how this found its way to the criterion collection—maybe as a cultural artifact of the time? they’re doing something about the director for some reason. but anyway, it was okay. you could watch it and not die of it actually.

tw2113 01.01.2020 08:56 PM

So I started Rogue One last night, but am finishing it tonight. I got too sleepy drunk to finish originally.

_tunic_ 01.02.2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Labyrinth is awesome, i don't care what anyone says.

The 30th anniversary edition is really good. First of all they remastered or recoloulered or however you could name it the movie, which makes it look like it was shot yesterday. But the special features are cool as well, with extensive Making Of documentaries, and new interviews with Jennifer Connelly and some of the puppeteers, including several Henson family members.

Nice quote by Jim Henson from the Making Of that cracked me up:
"Working with babies had its problems, but then I tried at directing chickens. "

LifeDistortion 01.02.2020 01:25 PM

It's sad but not surprising that Jim Henson's non Muppet projects were not commercially successful when they were first released, and now are regarded as classics. Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal, both are beautiful films and it unfortunate he didn't make more original films like them. That of course does not mean I don't love The Muppets as well, I believe that Henson was a one of a kind artist.

Rob Instigator 01.02.2020 02:00 PM

Watched a bunch of older flicks while on holiday in El Paso this xmas.

Xmas classic. Much better film than It's a Wonderful Life. Funnier for sure.

A Shot In The Dark, the second pink panther movie, with Inspector Clouseau in full effect.

The Maltese Falcon - One of my all time fave movies. Love it to death.

Animal Crackers - the 2nd Marx Bros film. I love the Marx Bros.

!@#$%! 01.02.2020 02:10 PM

just another girl on the i.r.t. (leslie harris, 1992)

brooklyn in the 90s! wow. i bet it looks very different today. fucking hipsters!

this is an indie film that got some recognition at sundance back in the day and was distributed by miramax.

part of it is great, part is actually quite amateurish, but considering how it was shot for a mere $100k in 17 days in actual film stock, i say “of course, what else did you want.” miramax might have seen it as a chance to enter urban markets or something. unfortunately there were no sequels.

film starts as a hilarious look at a smart, self-absorbed teenage girl from the projects. then midway it turns into sad soap opera, and by the end it’s sheer ridiculousness and absurdity but o well—it’s okay to talk back at the screen and make jokes. yeah. so we did that.

it’s very far from a perfect movie. but holy shit, we need more movies like this that aren’t about rich white people (robigator hi) and don’t portray black people as either thugs or cops. was also a nice look back at a different side of the 90s because yeah, not everyone wore flannel shirts lmfao.

anyway, criterion put it up on their service. points for originality i say.

demonrail666 01.02.2020 05:38 PM

Some stuff I watched over Christmas:

Electric Dreams

Can't pretend this was anything other than a pure nostalgia pick, and strictly on those terms it delivered.

Mississippi Grind

Good low-key character study. Really well done.

Donnie Darko

Never really got this film. Not when it came out and even after rewatching it, I still feel like I must be missing something.

Invasion USA

Another nostalgia pick. Basically Norris beating up the Soviet Union for 90 minutes, wearing double denim.