Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

greenlight 04.19.2020 02:45 AM

I have not watch any movies lately. this was on telly in the backround there, so I had to stop and watch it. It has been so long...so funny, yet so true..

LifeDistortion 04.21.2020 11:41 PM

Watched a western on Netflix called Badland.

tw2113 04.22.2020 02:18 AM

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Severian 04.22.2020 07:09 AM

Mission Impossible: Fallout

It’s... a mission impossible movie. I’m not even sure I’ve seen them all. Better franchise than Fast & Furious, but still — movies sort of blend together a bit.

_tunic_ 04.22.2020 04:12 PM

Coppola made this movie in between the first two Godfather episodes, and it was apparently his favourite. It also features a very young Harrison Ford.

Quite relieving compared to the movies of today that you don't need endless car chases nor gun fights to build suspense. For me it ended too soon, but still a very good movie.

!@#$%! 04.22.2020 04:14 PM

^^that’s blowup which is also las babas del diablo

tw2113 04.22.2020 11:31 PM

Terrorvision

NYCgaf16 04.23.2020 04:36 AM

i recently wactched 2 movies, documentaries exactly "Hype!" and "Kill Your Idols"

recently i watch these docs about music scenes. any reccomandations? you can also reccomend me the movies about bands too! :D :D :D

_tunic_ 04.23.2020 08:35 AM

Some recommendations:
I tried to watch Instrument the other day, the documentary about Fugazi. It's on YT, but the quality is only 240p. I don't want to waste my ears on it, but you're still young so you probably won't mind as much :).

The same guy that made that documentary, Jem Cohen, also made this: Empires Of Tin. It's a registration of an art performance in Vienna about the WOI, with live music from artists like Vic Chesnutt, Silver Mt. Zion and Guy Picciotto. This quality on YT is also not HD, but 480p is watchable. It's a favourite of mine, but I love those musicians.

If you like Bob Dylan, watch that Netflix documentary about the Rolling Thunder Revue.

Oh and This Is Spinal Tap ! Probably the best documentary about a band ever made :D
I'll watch that tonight, long time since I saw it.
(Bummer, I added a YT link for that movie but it's a fake, so removed it again. But try to find it if you can)

Peterpuff 04.23.2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCgaf16
"Hype!"

I always enjoyed this one, for sure. Where did you watch it? Is it streaming anywhere? I would love to watch through it again.

If you are interested in that scene, Nirvana's Live Tonight, Sold Out got soooo much play from me back in the day. Not really a documentary per se, but musical performances and various interview clips. I feel it gave a good sense of the personalities within the band. I feel a lot here will shit on this choice, but Pearl Jam's PJ20 was a good documentary, I thought.

Some I have enjoyed over the years:

Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool
Sex Pistols - Filth and the Fury
Rush - Beyond the Lighted Stage
Metallica - Some Kind of Monster (I love watching this as a hater of the band)
The Devil and Daniel Johnston

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Oh and This Is Spinal Tap ! Probably the best documentary about a band ever made :D

And, of course, this is the best recommendation you will ever get in this thread!

Peterpuff 04.23.2020 09:29 AM

Also, recently watched The Platform on Netflix. Not sure what to make of it. I started off totally loving it and really excited to see where it would go. Really reminded me of a modern take on Cube from back in the day. It got a little odd though, and started to feel a bit preachy, but misguided on what it was actually trying to say. It was one of those that left me feeling like I missed the main point, and I lost interest in trying to figure it out. First half hour to an hour were really engrossing though.

Curious of anyone else's thoughts on it...

_tunic_ 04.23.2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Also, recently watched The Platform on Netflix. Not sure what to make of it. I started off totally loving it and really excited to see where it would go. Really reminded me of a modern take on Cube from back in the day. It got a little odd though, and started to feel a bit preachy, but misguided on what it was actually trying to say. It was one of those that left me feeling like I missed the main point, and I lost interest in trying to figure it out. First half hour to an hour were really engrossing though.

Curious of anyone else's thoughts on it...

I saw the trailer and decided not to watch it. Horror and prisons are not really my favourite movie subjects, let alone a combination of it.

I am eating Nasi Goreng tonight though

NYCgaf16 04.23.2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

I always enjoyed this one, for sure. Where did you watch it? Is it streaming anywhere? I would love to watch through it again.

on archive.org (most stuff is in there. kill your idols is there too)

Quote:

And, of course, this is the best recommendation you will ever get in this thread!

tahnks! i'll keep that in mind! :D :D :D

LifeDistortion 04.23.2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCgaf16
i recently wactched 2 movies, documentaries exactly "Hype!" and "Kill Your Idols"

recently i watch these docs about music scenes. any reccomandations? you can also reccomend me the movies about bands too! :D :D :D

I'll recommend the documentary "A Band Called Death".

Tonight I watched Tootsie. First time watch.

!@#$%! 04.25.2020 11:25 PM

earlier today tried watching “groundhog day” which starts kinda funny but then gets boring so i spaced it then finally finished it. it had its funny moments but overall i didnt like it, especially the awful music.

i like bill murray but gave it a thumbs down.

later though, as a revenge, i watched goodfellas all over again.

what a movie!

and what i noticed the most this time around were the numerous, excellent tracking shots that pepper the whole movie. brilliant visual narrative throughout. just fucking masterful tracking shots. at the copacabana. in the meat truck. around the house. even the last shot. it’s not just the roaming, it’s what it shows.

LifeDistortion 04.26.2020 12:51 AM

Tonight I watched "Horns" again, enjoyable movie.

_tunic_ 04.26.2020 01:56 AM

Galaxy Quest is the best movie ever made!

I will explain:

I would have loved to continue but can't add any more pictures to this post

Just watch it!

_tunic_ 04.26.2020 08:35 AM

This movie is streaming at the Neil Young Archives app (membership not required). The album is one of the top 5 albums that I have listened to the most throughout my life and I still haven't grown tired of it. Probably heard it the first time when I was 18, which is 30 years ago!

He will be streaming all his concert movies on rotation in the app.

tw2113 04.26.2020 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Tonight I watched "Horns" again, enjoyable movie.

If you mean the one starring Daniel Radcliffe based on the novel written by Joe Hill, then I definitely agree.

tw2113 04.26.2020 10:06 PM

Space Jam cause it's leaving Netflix soon and because I have Michael Jordan on the brain thanks to "The Last Dance"