Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

_tunic_ 04.26.2020 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
"The Last Dance"

How is The Last Dance. I thought I just had read a review but it was an interview with Carmen Electra so it didn't say much about basketball...

Fortunately the series is on Netflix over here as well. That team was something else. But I wouldn't watch Space Jam for it, but rather check for some games on YT. With the corona lockdown are the sport channels rerunning NBA matches? That's what I would be watching, but all we get is football and more football reruns (but I haven't checked the programming of the paid channels)

tw2113 04.27.2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
How is The Last Dance. I thought I just had read a review but it was an interview with Carmen Electra so it didn't say much about basketball...

Fortunately the series is on Netflix over here as well. That team was something else. But I wouldn't watch Space Jam for it, but rather check for some games on YT. With the corona lockdown are the sport channels rerunning NBA matches? That's what I would be watching, but all we get is football and more football reruns (but I haven't checked the programming of the paid channels)

I've enjoyed it thus far. It's also telling me that there was a lot more off-court drama going on that my 14 year old mind was missing seeing. I got into watching the NBA early on in the 2nd three-peat so it's still very timely to me to see :D

LifeDistortion 04.27.2020 08:41 PM

I watched The Hangover, first watch. Really enjoyed it.

GeneticKiss 04.28.2020 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Also, recently watched The Platform on Netflix. Not sure what to make of it. I started off totally loving it and really excited to see where it would go. Really reminded me of a modern take on Cube from back in the day. It got a little odd though, and started to feel a bit preachy, but misguided on what it was actually trying to say. It was one of those that left me feeling like I missed the main point, and I lost interest in trying to figure it out. First half hour to an hour were really engrossing though.

Curious of anyone else's thoughts on it...

You know, I watched the trailer and decided that it's probably something I'd find too upsetting even if (or perhaps because) the moral of the setting is something I can agree with; those at lower levels of society only get what those at the higher levels allow them to have, and it can be much easier to fall than climb.

And yes, I did get Cube vibes. I enjoyed that film, but I think I'll pass on this one.

GeneticKiss 04.28.2020 01:25 AM

Quote:

snip

I take it you're physically attracted to Sigourney Weaver?

Also, this forum needs a multi-quote function...actually the whole thing needs a massive update!

Tokolosh 04.30.2020 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
earlier today tried watching “groundhog day” which starts kinda funny but then gets boring so i spaced it then finally finished it. it had its funny moments but overall i didnt like it, especially the awful music.

i like bill murray but gave it a thumbs down.

later though, as a revenge, i watched goodfellas all over again.

what a movie!

and what i noticed the most this time around were the numerous, excellent tracking shots that pepper the whole movie. brilliant visual narrative throughout. just fucking masterful tracking shots. at the copacabana. in the meat truck. around the house. even the last shot. it’s not just the roaming, it’s what it shows.

One of the best ever!

Tokolosh 04.30.2020 03:59 PM

!@#$%! 04.30.2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh

oh fuck, i was gonna go watch this the weekend the quarantine started.

i think they have it on hulu now...

Tokolosh 04.30.2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

oh fuck, i was gonna go watch this the weekend the quarantine started.

i think they have it on hulu now...

Best Joon-ho film to date, in my opinion. The edit and pace is phenomenal.

Hope you are safe in New Mexico, !@#$%!

Tokolosh 05.01.2020 08:53 AM

Big love for Alejandro Jodorowsky!

_tunic_ 05.02.2020 12:17 PM

Perfect movie for the Saturday afternoon couch potato

!@#$%! 05.02.2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Perfect movie for the Saturday afternoon couch potato

i can do worse than that! :D

watching mortal kombat right now

not sure i’ll finish it...

h8kurdt 05.02.2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

i can do worse than that! :D

watching mortal kombat right now

not sure i’ll finish it...

I LOVED that film when I was a kid. Reckon I could recite both that and Mrs Doubtfire by heart.

"This is the part where you fall over. WHERE DO YOU GET THESE GUYS?!"

!@#$%! 05.02.2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I LOVED that film when I was a kid. Reckon I could recite both that and Mrs Doubtfire by heart.

"This is the part where you fall over. WHERE DO YOU GET THESE GUYS?!"

hahaha it was so bad i fell asleep twice. but i finished it eventually. will never get my 1h9min back but the naps were nice

xxx

ANYWAY ended up rewatching SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK because david o. russell always makes me laugh so hard and his casts are *great*

very funny shit, some great scenes

LifeDistortion 05.03.2020 03:06 AM

Tonight I watched The Runaways movie, with Dakota Fanning and Kristen Stewart. It was fine. Fairly run of the mill rock bio movie.

Peterpuff 05.03.2020 12:29 PM

Seeing you talk of Parasite reminded me I had been wanting to check out Snowpiercer. Only got about halfway through last night. I might eventually finished it, but can't say I was very into it at all. Loved Parasite though.

GeneticKiss 05.03.2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Tonight I watched The Runaways movie, with Dakota Fanning and Kristen Stewart. It was fine. Fairly run of the mill rock bio movie.

You have to admit Michael Shannon as Kim Fowley was genius, though.

!@#$%! 05.03.2020 08:32 PM

THE DAY TRIPPERS (greg mottola, 1996)

great little movie i hadn’t ever heard of but found it on criterion today and blam!

i wasn’t fully aware of greg mottola either, although he was the director of superbad and had a hand in arrested development and other good tv shows.

this was good and funny and a great cast, well beyond the confines of this poster which only features the back seat and is missing the driver, the copilot (lol), and a bunch of other people. just finished a very enjoyable afternoon with it.

-

i am however superdisappointed that criterion took peter greenaway’s “the draughtsman’s contract” offline before i had the chance to see it :(

LifeDistortion 05.04.2020 11:57 PM

I watched The Death of Stalin tonight, pretty much cause Steve Buscemi is in it. Two movie night, just watched The Hangover Part II.

_tunic_ 05.06.2020 04:29 AM

I watched half of Ocean's 8 yesterday but didn't really like it. Did anyone watch this already? Does it get any better in the second half (I still have 54 minutes to go)?