Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Peterpuff 05.27.2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCgaf16
now i will watch breadcrumb trail, that documentary about slint

Speaking of docs, that is a damn enjoyable watch, too. Still blows my mind how young they are in so much of that footage.

And on that note, loudQUIETloud is a great insight to Pixies zaniness too, left off of earlier lists.

Antagon 05.27.2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
You know what's nuts......atsonicpark is still the leading poster in this thread....

Dude was a quite insightful. His songs of praise probably got me into Takeshi Kitano movies.

demonrail666 05.27.2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
caught “senna” the other day

was pretty great.

I've always wanted to enjoy that more than I do. I think the problem is I'm a total Senna fanboy who would've probably been happier with 2 hours of various talking heads simply talking about how great he was. There's so much mythology built up around him, which his cult fandom essentially feeds off, that I actually didn't like seeing any of it chipped away in order to present a more balanced, and certainly truer account.

!@#$%! 05.27.2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I've always wanted to enjoy that more than I do. I think the problem is I'm a total Senna fanboy who would've probably been happier with 2 hours of various talking heads simply talking about how great he was. There's so much mythology built up around him, which his cult fandom essentially feeds off, that I actually didn't like seeing any of it chipped away in order to present a more balanced, and certainly truer account.

oh, i never was, or knew much about him tbh, so for me this was a window into a piece of sports history. to me it looked like a total hagiography, with prost as the villain. a less pure image emerges from senna’s wikipedia page, like the 15 year old fiance when he was 25? the movie skips a lot of girlfriends hahahahaha. anyway in the movie i saw him definitely as the good guy. and his ongoing duel with prost was reminiscent of borg/mcenroe.

EVOLghost 05.28.2020 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
Dude was a quite insightful. His songs of praise probably got me into Takeshi Kitano movies.

Found a DVD of his in my drawer, so I put Can’t or Won’t Not on YouTube. That was really nice.

And funnily enough....I just recently watched Hana-Bi recently too. Immediately thought of him when I put it on.

_tunic_ 05.28.2020 05:25 PM

Not the best Hitchcock movie but definitely a good one

I really liked this one. Great acting by Viggo as well as most of the kids especially the one wearing the gas mask

!@#$%! 05.30.2020 06:14 PM

^^ i liked captain fantastic tons too

-

anyway

the coen bros “hail, caesar!” was great and hilarious

shot by roger deakins and everything in it is really great and smart and tons of fun

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.30.2020 06:53 PM

I mostly just watch old westerns now

Hammer horror too

!@#$%! 06.02.2020 08:52 PM

dark star (john carpenter, 1974)

this was a fucking revelation. truckers in space 5 years before alien! and “alien“ before “alien”! except hilarious satire instead of horror. borrows a bit from pkd too. dan o’bannon! who knew??? and john carpenter right out of film school (i think this was a student project that grew into a feature?’

highly recommended to everyone. wow! blew my mind. and i laughed so hard.

LifeDistortion 06.03.2020 10:41 PM

Been watching a lot of stuff on HBO Max. I watched Man Bites Dog a couple nights ago and The Lego Movie last night.

HenryHill51 06.17.2020 09:29 PM

Quote:

THE DAY TRIPPERS (greg mottola, 1996)

great little movie i hadn’t ever heard of but found it on criterion today and blam!

i wasn’t fully aware of greg mottola either, although he was the director of superbad and had a hand in arrested development and other good tv shows.

this was good and funny and a great cast, well beyond the confines of this poster which only features the back seat and is missing the driver, the copilot (lol), and a bunch of other people. just finished a very enjoyable afternoon with it.

-

i am however superdisappointed that criterion took peter greenaway’s “the draughtsman’s contract” offline before i had the chance to see it :(

One of my favorite films of the 90's. Saw it alone in a grimy art house theater upon release. It still holds up today as anarchic/incisive comedy.

NYCgaf16 06.18.2020 07:58 AM

a doc about CBGB's

i hate one thing about this movie, there was nothing about sonic youth and no-wave scene!

!@#$%! 06.18.2020 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCgaf16

a doc about CBGB's

oh, it's not a documentary. it's a heavily fictionalized account. :D

demonrail666 06.18.2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

dark star (john carpenter, 1974)

this was a fucking revelation. truckers in space 5 years before alien! and “alien“ before “alien”! except hilarious satire instead of horror. borrows a bit from pkd too. dan o’bannon! who knew??? and john carpenter right out of film school (i think this was a student project that grew into a feature?’

highly recommended to everyone. wow! blew my mind. and i laughed so hard.

YES!

Carpenter went on to make more polished films but considering the limitations of budget and that it was essentially a student project (at least to begin with) it really can't be faulted. So many memorable scenes. So many quotable lines. And how many SF films have a country song for a theme tune? Love it to bits.

_tunic_ 06.18.2020 10:05 AM

That Dark Star can be watched in full on Youtube btw, thanks for the recommendation. It was cool, especially the super hightech alien, it surely must have cost a fortune in CGI etc :D

This forum has been down so long, that I forgot what movies I watched. This one was nice, especially because the woman really existed:

_tunic_ 06.18.2020 01:14 PM

My memory is returning bits by bits. This one was very funny:

This is the movie, there's also a TV series that I've not seen (but it's running on BBC). Possibly the first New Zealand movie I've ever seen (?)

Rob Instigator 06.18.2020 04:36 PM

Great movie, great series. Both are deeply bad ass and hilarious

_tunic_ 06.20.2020 10:49 AM

Great movie! It's now also available on Netflix, highly recommended! It's a bit of an odd one for Martin Scorsese amongst his oeuvre of mafia films but that doesn't matter at all

LifeDistortion 06.20.2020 11:55 AM

Yesterday I watched Lady Snowblood, really great. Then I watched Uncut Gems which I also enjoyed.

NYCgaf16 06.20.2020 01:50 PM

i recently watched All Tomorrows Parties doc, cool movie. i think i will watch some kind of like anime movie? it's called Akira i think