Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

demonrail666 04.22.2018 11:06 AM

Baby Spice, I think it was.

But yeah, The Spice Girls were just a novelty act marketed as representing the pure pop angle of a perceived upturn in British culture (Trainspotting, Damien Hirst, Pulp/Blur/Oasis/Suede, Alexander McQueen, David Beckham, etc.). It was all a bit silly, and cynically hijacked by Tony Blair as part of his whole 'Cool Britannia' thing, but in balance it was a lot of fun, and did reflect a certain confidence/optimism in the country at the time. Certainly compared with where we are now.

noisereductions 04.22.2018 11:17 AM

This conversation is good stuff.

Nickelback blows.

h8kurdt 04.22.2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Well Brit-Pop was a contrived backlash against that very American-ness felt to be dominating British pop culture in the early 90s, but was just as parochial. But it's also true that Britain had been through Acid House in the late 80s which was absorbed by the more interesting British bands at the time. MBV's Loveless was definitely informed by that scene.

You think it was contrived? I figured it was a very natural reaction for british bands to do.

Quote:

but then i put on the slim shady LP (i have it on right now) and i’m not blown away in any way but it’s entertaining and funny and i’m gonna play the rest of it.

Funny you should mention that album. I was actually thinking about the single Guilty Conscience the other day. I remember that coming out on single and buying it. However, for all the stuff he released in that period that's never talked about, and to my knowledge played by him.

Just give it a whirl now. The bit about raping a 15 year old is probably why.

!@#$%! 04.22.2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Funny you should mention that album. I was actually thinking about the single Guilty Conscience the other day. I remember that coming out on single and buying it. However, for all the stuff he released in that period that's never talked about, and to my knowledge played by him.

Just give it a whirl now. The bit about raping a 15 year old is probably why.

aw fuck thanks for ruining my morning dude lol

see, this is why i never could get into hiphop, and never bought any with exceptions like public enemy or some jazz hybrids— the whole me me me bitches-and-money cult of violence. the more i understand the lyrics, the less i like it. & on & on & on.

now this! i had to go and google the lyrics because i didn’t know wtf he was talking about and sure enough i look and say “i was listening to this!” but completely ignorant of what had been said (i did pick up the impregnating a spice girl bit though).

so, anyway, moral problems aside, thanks to my bad ear for english & dialects i can say with certainty that the best-selling hiphop artist of the 00’ decade was musically tons more interesting than the best selling rock band of the same era. no question.

this is just to say, again, again, again, that there’s been a changing of the guard in music, and psychopathy aside, you can tangibly hear why. detroit psychopaths make better music than “nice” canadians.

(actually i dont know if nickelback has psychopatic or “nice” lyrics—it just sounds fucking terrible. TERRIBLE.)

demonrail666 04.22.2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
You think it was contrived? I figured it was a very natural reaction for british bands to do.

To begin with maybe but it quickly became a marketing and (for New Labour) political tool.

One thing I'll say in favour of Grunge is it never let itself become co-opted by the White House.

noisereductions 04.22.2018 06:03 PM

anyone else check this out yet?

The Soup Nazi 04.22.2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
anyone else check this out yet?

I have, and I love it.

noisereductions 04.22.2018 07:37 PM

Agreed

!@#$%! 04.23.2018 09:35 AM

so it looks like not ALL of drag city is on spottifried— yet, anyway

was looking for joanna newsom’s albums yesterday and found none

i am however listening to white magic right now. i have this beautiful vinyl somewhere in some vault but now i don’t have to pine after it because it’s heavy and unwieldy and needs a unitasker to play it

anyway pitchfork has an article about the drag city streamables but i didn’t wanna bother reading it. now i’ll have to...

noisereductions 04.23.2018 10:29 AM

All I know is Smog is there so that'll keep me busy revisiting those albums for a while.

Oooh and both Loose Fur albums.

Savage Clone 04.23.2018 12:24 PM

Carpenter Brut - Leather Teeth
Carpenter Brut - Trilogy
Perturbator - The Uncanny Valley
Paul Hardcastle - Rainforest

!@#$%! 04.23.2018 01:29 PM

oh, joanna newsom hates bananas lol

https://pitchfork.com/news/drag-city...ify-and-tidal/

and jim o’rourke remains offline

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Carpenter Brut - Leather Teeth
Carpenter Brut - Trilogy
Perturbator - The Uncanny Valley
Paul Hardcastle - Rainforest

i hear 80s synths!

Savage Clone 04.23.2018 04:26 PM

Yes indeed.

noisereductions 04.25.2018 07:51 PM

The Colour And The Shape

noisereductions 04.26.2018 08:38 AM

Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary

Severian 04.26.2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary

Never could get into this one myself. The riffs have reminded me of Creed since Creed came out. :(

noisereductions 04.26.2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Never could get into this one myself. The riffs have reminded me of Creed since Creed came out. :(

Um you sure you're thinking of Diary? I can't hear anything on this that would remind you of Creed?

Severian 04.27.2018 07:22 AM

Quote:

Um you sure you're thinking of Diary? I can't hear anything on this that would remind you of Creed?

“In Circles” riff dawg

noisereductions 04.27.2018 07:35 AM

I... Still don't hear a similarity. But ok.

Severian 04.27.2018 10:45 AM

Quote:

I... Still don't hear a similarity. But ok.

I’m not saying SDRE sounds like Creed in general, and I have fond memories of “LP2” and “How it Feels to be Something On,” but when Creed came out and that style of dropped D riffing started popping up in the mainstream more than in the indie world, it tainted “In Circles” for me irrevocably.

If you don’t hear a similarity you don’t want to hear one. Or I am insane.

noisereductions 04.27.2018 11:31 AM

Yeah I don't know. I just don't hear Creed.

Ash? Creeper Lagoon? Jimmy Eat World? Sure. But I don't hear Creed. Shrug.

Either way, I win. Nobody wants to hear Creed.

The Soup Nazi 04.27.2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
“In Circles” riff dawg

True story: I read this first in the there's-a-new-post notification e-mail, and without the context I thought you were listening to an album called In Circles by some mook named Riff Dawg.

noisereductions 04.27.2018 04:16 PM

Haha

evollove 04.30.2018 08:09 AM

I posted this in bandcamp thread, but I am actually listening to it quite a lot. One of the more engaging and varied noise albums I've heard in awhile.

https://tantramoon.bandcamp.com/album/red-mother

noisereductions 05.03.2018 08:42 AM

Beck - One Foot In The Grave
Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain

_tunic_ 05.03.2018 08:49 AM

god's pee - the Behemoth album that is titled differently but should have just been called Behemoth and cut in just one track

noisereductions 05.04.2018 09:11 AM

The Posies - Frosting On The Beater

Severian 05.04.2018 07:39 PM

DJ KOZE - “KNOCK KNOCK”

Another bizarro, extraordinary evolution in the discography of electro’s madcap genius.

Amazing, immersive, glorious

_tunic_ 05.05.2018 10:11 AM

my live recording of SOAK while sitting in the spring sun :)

_tunic_ 05.05.2018 12:34 PM

NYCH 5.1.2018 Webcast - Warnors Theatre, Fresno, CA

_tunic_ 05.06.2018 06:30 AM

but I always always skip the first track, I so hate that flute.

_tunic_ 05.06.2018 11:14 AM

HAHA! I did read that :D

Savage Clone 05.06.2018 12:16 PM

I have promised myself to be a little less negative, heh....

demonrail666 05.06.2018 12:45 PM

Dizzy Gillespie - Dizzy on the French Riviera

A perfect soundtrack to today's Bank Holiday sweat-fest

noisereductions 05.07.2018 08:30 AM

Dino's Green Mind

noisereductions 05.07.2018 02:15 PM

In A Priest Driven Ambulence

The Soup Nazi 05.07.2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

Removed from the YouTubes. HOWEVER...

Awesome NY/CH gif, by the way. :)

!@#$%! 05.07.2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Dizzy Gillespie - Dizzy on the French Riviera

A perfect soundtrack to today's Bank Holiday sweat-fest

listened to that this morning—had not heard before

the french riviera title was a bit misleading. “dizzy does brazil” would have been more fitting lol. nice fun album for sure.

ETA: oh hey! lalo schifrin plays the piano on it

noisereductions 05.08.2018 07:59 AM

1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

Severian 05.08.2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

Such a great album title ;)