Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Severian 01.24.2021 08:42 PM

Prisoners, by Denis Villeneuve.
One of the few films of his that I hadn’t seen.

Extremely good. Just, wow, no sci-fi or vfx or trippy mind spiders needed, just drama so intense it’s almost painful.

He’s excellent.

Skuj 01.31.2021 02:16 PM

The Before Trilogy (Linklater).

Fucking brilliant. Endlessly rewatchable.

!@#$%! 01.31.2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj

when i saw the first one when it came out i was like "oooh dreamzzz" and when i watched it again recently i laughed like "that's too much woman for dat fool." but i also laughed at myself for liking it the way i did and having been dat fool. i used to have a girlfiend halfway around the world too and celebrated bloomsday and listened to dylan thomas etc. and what i mean is, i like it different now than i did then, but i still like it (and i can laugh at it/them). it's a nice monument to late late adolescence.

_tunic_ 01.31.2021 06:11 PM

The original poster of the movie is better than the movie itself ;)

Skuj 01.31.2021 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
when i saw the first one when it came out i was like "oooh dreamzzz" and when i watched it again recently i laughed like "that's too much woman for dat fool." but i also laughed at myself for liking it the way i did and having been dat fool. i used to have a girlfiend halfway around the world too and celebrated bloomsday and listened to dylan thomas etc. and what i mean is, i like it different now than i did then, but i still like it (and i can laugh at it/them). it's a nice monument to late late adolescence.

Brilliant.

I have discussions with a few people who watched these when they were released, and their favourite ones and feelings about each one changes with age.

I (currently) love the middle one best. In just over an hour in real time, they go from a surprise reunion to both of them knowing that he will miss that plane. The pacing never feels rushed/forced. In a just world, the ending of this film would be as well known as "We'll always have Paris". Delpy is fucking genius. Hawke is also. What they do in those long takes is nothing short of astonishing.

tw2113 02.01.2021 01:02 AM

the self claimed classic of late night 90s tv: "Ski School"

Severian 02.01.2021 09:18 AM

The little things on HBO Max. Pretty pointless movie, honestly.
I heard that it was initially written in the ‘90s. Feels like it. Also it’s a proper snoozer. Nice opening scene I guess but meh. One of those Silence of the Lambs Fever movies. Meh

Debaser 02.01.2021 09:24 AM

The Florida Project. Absolute garbage imo, not my thing at all.

!@#$%! 02.01.2021 09:41 AM

Quote:

Brilliant.

I have discussions with a few people who watched these when they were released, and their favourite ones and feelings about each one changes with age.

I (currently) love the middle one best. In just over an hour in real time, they go from a surprise reunion to both of them knowing that he will miss that plane. The pacing never feels rushed/forced. In a just world, the ending of this film would be as well known as "We'll always have Paris". Delpy is fucking genius. Hawke is also. What they do in those long takes is nothing short of astonishing.

the middle one was supernice, yeah. and the fact that they still persist in the romantic delusion is kinda charming at that point.

but by the time we get to the third one, im like "these people are stupid!" and it makes me wonder if they grew up at all or if they're forever stuck in the same groove of their emotional broken record. this doesn't make it a worse movie btw--it's a monument to the perils of late late late late late late late adolescence :D

goddammit, i wanna rewatch it now

!@#$%! 02.01.2021 10:22 AM

anyway i watched

which was just a box i was trying to check but turned out very interesting, a great play except maybe for the end

also

which i had seen ages ago on tv but it's still funny expecially in today's retail investor climate

tw2113 02.01.2021 02:01 PM

I followed up Ski School with Barbarella.

Severian 02.02.2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

I have never seen this. Any of it. I suppose I should at some point

!@#$%! 02.02.2021 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

whaaaaa...

if you get hbo online (i think you do?) the first 2 are on cinemax right now (cinemax comes with hbo in my options)

the 3rd one is on starz.

looking via amazon add-ons anyway.

h8kurdt 02.02.2021 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

Same here. One of those "yeah, I will do at some point." films n

Severian 02.02.2021 07:13 PM

Quote:

whaaaaa...

if you get hbo online (i think you do?) the first 2 are on cinemax right now (cinemax comes with hbo in my options)

the 3rd one is on starz.

Cinemax does not come with HBO for me, I don’t think. I have a bunch of shit though, maybe it’s somewhere

_tunic_ 02.02.2021 07:41 PM

Some movies never get old, like some of the other movies by Ridley Scott (Alien, Blade Runner). This one clearly does. Story is pretty lame as well. The makeup was even nominated for an Oscar, it looked cheesy to me.

tw2113 02.02.2021 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

Some movies never get old, like some of the other movies by Ridley Scott (Alien, Blade Runner). This one clearly does. Story is pretty lame as well. The makeup was even nominated for an Oscar, it looked cheesy to me.

But...you get Tom Cruise, and Mia Sara, and Tim Curry, and Billy Barty, and Robert Picardo.

!@#$%! 02.07.2021 05:15 PM

apparently i missed this one in 1999

it looked funny, then took a dark turn, then it got funny again.

very derivative of pulp fiction, but not bad actually.

Skuj 02.07.2021 05:31 PM

Quote:

whaaaaa...

the 3rd one is on starz.

Y'all are killing me.

I got it all on fucking (Criterion) blu-ray!! :)

Skuj 02.07.2021 05:32 PM

Quote:

the middle one was supernice, yeah. and the fact that they still persist in the romantic delusion is kinda charming at that point.

but by the time we get to the third one, im like "these people are stupid!" and it makes me wonder if they grew up at all or if they're forever stuck in the same groove of their emotional broken record. this doesn't make it a worse movie btw--it's a monument to the perils of late late late late late late late adolescence :D

goddammit, i wanna rewatch it now

I found myself siding with him on #3, and thinking that she was being an unreasonable bitch at times.

But hey, that's me in early 2021!!