Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Severian 04.04.2021 08:38 AM

Godzilla vs Kong. Unbelievably stupid and poorly written and acted, but there’s monster punching so

Skuj 04.04.2021 05:45 PM

East Of Eden. (On TCM right now.)

Damn, Dean had a great screen presence.

!@#$%! 04.04.2021 06:56 PM

yesterday i think?

american ultra

i wanted a dumb movie but this was actually funny and better than i expected.

end credits are the best though!

!@#$%! 04.04.2021 11:03 PM

also little gem of a film by sydney lumet.

leser known or iconic than 12 angry men or dog day afternoon or serpico or network but still highly enjoyable.

saw it many years ago on tv and never forgot it. i finally got to see it complete! loved it ha ha ha. great cast too.

his last one too was excellent, "before the devil knows you're dead" . what a director!

tw2113 04.17.2021 08:40 PM

The Return of Swamp Thing

tw2113 04.17.2021 11:50 PM

Zombeavers

_tunic_ 04.18.2021 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Zombeavers

Just watched the trailer, that was great but wouldn't want to see the entire movie ;)

I saw Love & Monsters yesterday which is new on Netflix
If you liked Zombeavers you should watch it. The special effects are Oscar nominated!

I'll start Sunday morning with Captain Fantastic. I've already seen it a while ago but then I had missed the very beginning of it.

Severian 04.18.2021 08:35 AM

I watched the Killing of a Sacred Deer. Such a weird movie.

LifeDistortion 04.18.2021 10:31 AM

Love & Mercy- Quite enjoyed it.

_tunic_ 04.18.2021 10:41 AM

I can't wait for the sequel Love, Mercy and Monsters where Brian Wilson needs to walk from his home to the studio to record his next album in a monster-infested world

Rob Instigator 04.19.2021 12:50 PM

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof was on the TV the other day. watched that.

tw2113 04.27.2021 10:50 PM

Once Bitten

!@#$%! 05.16.2021 06:35 PM

finally, saw the shape of water

rob's favorite! :D

i liked it

_tunic_ 05.18.2021 01:57 AM

Deadpool 1 & 2

Also saw bits and pieces of The Meg (while channel hopping in between commercial breaks)
It's pretty lame but still highly entertaining ;-)

Severian 05.20.2021 07:53 AM

I watched the Lobster. It was good but there was one scene that fucked me up.

Antagon 05.21.2021 08:26 PM

Not exactly a movie per-se, but the 1993 Sam Mendes-directed stage adaptation of Cabaret. The one with Alan Cummings playing Sex manifested in human form.

Not a huge fan of musicals, but Cabaret (which I'm slightly embarassed to admit I've never seen before - in any incarnation) piqued my interest as of late due to its themes and because I heard of its confrontational nature.

Downright terrifying and unfortunately still very relevant. Hope to get my hands on the Bob Fosse movie soon. From all the clips I've seen, it goes for a subtler, yet slowly creeping dread that suddenly turns obvious and hard to overlook. Shame on popculture references for portraying it as some silly musical. This is a timeless story, really. And the musical numbers are exhillerating.

Antagon 05.21.2021 08:27 PM

Not exactly a movie per-se, but the 1993 Sam Mendes-directed stage adaptation of Cabaret. The one with Alan Cummings playing Sex manifested in human form.

Not a huge fan of musicals, but Cabaret (which I'm slightly embarassed to admit I've never seen before - in any incarnation) piqued my interest as of late due to its themes and because I heard of its confrontational nature.

Downright terrifying and unfortunately still very relevant. Hope to get my hands on the Bob Fosse movie soon. From all the clips I've seen, it goes for a subtler, yet slowly creeping dread that suddenly turns obvious and hard to overlook. Shame on popculture references for portraying it as some silly musical. This is a timeless story, really. And the musical numbers are exhillerating.

Bertrand 05.26.2021 06:13 AM

Funeral Parade of Roses
Wow... 1969 movie by a guy who mostly did short movies afterwards, Toshio Matsumoto.
Visiually beautiful, free, the director managed to mix quite a few different things and kept the movie coherent a fluent.
Whoever has seen A Clockwork Orange (1971) and that one will tell that Kubrick saw and liked the movie.
Reading wikipedia would be a bad idea as it centers on a story when said story is just a tiny tiny part of the movie.

Funeral Parade of Roses
Wow... 1969 movie by a guy who mostly did short movies afterwards, Toshio Matsumoto.
Visiually beautiful, free, the director managed to mix quite a few different things and kept the movie coherent a fluent.
Whoever has seen A Clockwork Orange (1971) and that one will tell that Kubrick saw and liked the movie.
Reading wikipedia would be a bad idea as it centers on a story when said story is just a tiny tiny part of the movie.

Funeral Parade of Roses.