Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.16.2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the... interwebs?

ps- im no fan of paz as a thinker. he's anti-historicist, and i believe he uses myth as a cop-out. sort of like a surrender flag.

as a poet, his only really good poem is "piedra del sol", the rest is a bunch of formalistic pap. i know he's made an impression on sharon stone though.

ouch! you misunderstand the true concept of myth as a means of socio-political construction of the underlying supestructures we call society and community. myth is powerful, and truly history is a living myth, but then again I am a disciple of Joseph Campbell

pinkstation 06.18.2010 01:20 AM

David Foster Wallace is truly a brilliant author. He is perhaps totally uncontended for the title of "best 'contemporary' author" in my book. (enen thought he is dead). i remember discussing his work in an american literature class i took a few years ago in which my teacher tried to argue that he killed himself because he was ultimately aware of himself and the world. mindblowing.

Rob Instigator 06.18.2010 08:38 AM

atsonicpark 06.23.2010 05:17 PM

Pookie 06.24.2010 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
ouch! you misunderstand the true concept of myth as a means of socio-political construction of the underlying supestructures we call society and community. myth is powerful, and truly history is a living myth, but then again I am a disciple of Joseph Campbell

I loves you man but you've got to stop with the "you misunderstand" baloney when somebody disagrees with you.

pbradley 06.24.2010 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I shoudl clarify, aristotle and Plato stagnated scientific endeavour, unknown to them, but becauze people love to assign "correctness" to someone and never ever question it again.

Yeah, in the time of Galileo.

I don't see how this is relevant to my professor.

starsailor 06.24.2010 08:34 AM

Count Mecha 06.26.2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
rereading...

I've been seriously close to begging one of my friends to read this book after he watched the Lynch movie and had just an average opinion of it. Unfortunately he's one of those "I don't really like to read" types. This book is incredible, no movie version has come close to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by starsailor

This book was probably the most pleasant surprise ever going into it. I was completely blown away. Probably the scariest last 17 or so pages ever.

Been hammering through this:

Fucking hilarious! These guys did so much ridiculous stuff. I had no idea about the scientology school and stuff. And I had no idea they were so into Bowie. Very cool stuff. Will probably be extremely depressing at the end.

krastian 06.28.2010 07:22 PM

Surprisingly good......never boring.

Hilarious, of course.

Toilet & Bowels 06.29.2010 04:55 AM

alan moore is the most over rated comics writer ever.

i got given this for christmas and started it on the way to work this morning

jon boy 06.30.2010 05:17 PM

ann ashtray 07.01.2010 11:47 PM

Manson in His Own Words: The Shocking Confessions of 'The Most Dangerous Man Alive".

So dangerous buried behind them bars.

words of Manson written in red (jk).

Skuj 07.02.2010 01:15 AM

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40334

Derek 07.02.2010 04:37 AM

Reading 'On the Road' again.

Glice 07.02.2010 05:06 AM

Deleuze's 'what is philosophy?' Which I should've got around to earlier, because it's a nice companion to 1000 plateaus (more so than Anti-Oedipus, arguably). A recommendation for those who are a bit baffled by a lot of the 'modern' French philosophy.

shabbray2.0 07.02.2010 05:17 AM

mindfuck

starting part two "ghosts" soon:

"The second story, Ghosts, is about a private eye called Blue, trained by Brown, who is investigating a man named Black on Orange Street for a client named White. Blue writes written reports to White who in turn pays him for his work. Blue becomes frustrated and loses himself as he becomes immersed in the life of Black."

demonrail666 07.03.2010 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
alan moore is the most over rated comics writer ever.

Hmm, perhap's Moore's 'problem' is that his larger than life persona has come to eclipse his actual comics and pushed him centre stage at the expense of comparable writers like the Hernandez Bros or Frank Miller, but they both cite Moore's achievements with 2000ad and DC as a major influence on their work. Overrated? Maybe, but it's hard to know what the correct level of appreciation someone should receive is when they're responsible for writing the likes of Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing and the D.R. & Quinch and Halo Jones stories. Other writers may have written better comics than each of those individually (although in the case of Halo Jones, i'm struggling to think of anyone) but as a body of work it's pretty impressive if you ask me.

pbradley 07.03.2010 02:05 AM

Read the beginning to Saul Bellow's *Dangling Man* but didn't finish before it was due back at the library. Instead of extending the checkout, I just bought *Herzog*.

Should be a nice companion for the 12 hour flight to SoKo.

_slavo_ 07.17.2010 03:01 AM

hentai I got in a newsbooth in Tokyo

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.18.2010 01:23 AM