Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

the big quasar 07.25.2010 05:33 PM

A passage describing Gatsby laying eyes on the protagonist for the first time at a lavish party:

"He smiled understandingly - much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced - or seemed to face - the whole external world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey."

moppity 07.26.2010 06:03 PM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.26.2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I want it!

It's great, I have this one too...

They also have a copy of issue #4, which I plan on picking up, once I fatten my wallet a little. The humor isn't as spot-on as it is in the show, but they still definitely deliver their fair share of laughs.

Quote:

I am enjoying this right now, I really like Bradbury, it can be a bit repetitive but there are some highlight moments..

I absolutely love The Martian Chronicles! I own 2 different editions of it. KIS once recommended a tv miniseries rendition (BBC, I believe) to me. I still have to check that out somehow.

Currently reading: The Girl Who Would Be Death

(All 4 issues)

me. 07.27.2010 05:00 AM

I'm reading a book about the art/wanderings of Kiyoshi Yamashita but can't find any images..oh well,internets not so great..

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.28.2010 04:18 AM

krastian 08.01.2010 01:40 PM

Meh, not bad. Pretty boring at times, but the overall message that our brains are changing because of our internet use is really interesting. With information on demand we are essentially becoming lazy and unable to think and reason out a problem.

Why remember things or think deeply when information is seconds away through Google?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.02.2010 02:30 AM

A 600+ page whopper. Definitely a captivating, inspirational read.

chicka 08.02.2010 12:15 PM

That Gutwrencher looks like a hell of a guy..

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.05.2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicka
That Gutwrencher looks like a hell of a guy..

He really knows how to crash a party! ;)

viewtiful alan redux 08.05.2010 07:28 PM

Count Mecha 08.05.2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful alan redux

Haha, what's this about? Great cover!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.05.2010 08:44 PM

alteredcourse 08.05.2010 10:51 PM

One thing I like about you Felikson, is that you are so fucking into what you are into. I'm more a skimmer myself, I get into a broad mixture of music, lit, film, etc, and can soak up all kinds with genuine interest, but you dive headfirst into the specifics of something. I love that. Plus, you're hot.

Sorry, I'm drunk. I tend to allow myself feelings when uninhibited :)

Youth_Against_Facism 08.05.2010 11:00 PM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.05.2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alteredcourse
One thing I like about you Felikson, is that you are so fucking into what you are into. I'm more a skimmer myself, I get into a broad mixture of music, lit, film, etc, and can soak up all kinds with genuine interest, but you dive headfirst into the specifics of something. I love that.

I've honestly been highly staring at this monitor for like 15 minutes trying to properly respond to this, but I'm just gonna go right for the nutshell and say, "Yeah, you're right." Most things don't appeal to me, so I really appreciate what does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alteredcourse
Plus, you're hot.

Sorry, I'm drunk. I tend to allow myself feelings when uninhibited :)

:o thanks!

alteredcourse 08.05.2010 11:49 PM

Haha, I know, what can be said. It's nice that you replied at all.
Expect more drunken ramblings in the future. Brush off as needed. But keep recommending what you find!

!@#$%! 08.06.2010 11:01 AM

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.10.2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

I got this catechism text from an Orthodox Priest who is also a clinical therapist with a doctorate in psychological counseling, his insight is DEEP in regards to theology with a psychological lens..

the most impacting point.

Embracing a God who can make mistakes.

He explains very simply that it is our OWN psychological baggage and control-freak tendencies that make is project them onto our own imagined conceptions of God. To be sure, God is real, but the concept of God most people harbor in their minds is purely imaginary and it is then no wonder that they have little experience with a real or true God(s) because they are to busy thinking about an intellectual construction of God(s) with their mind, and not feeling or experiencing God(s) directly with the capacities of their hearts.

He thus explains that "people tend to be nervous about the idea of a God who makes mistakes, but this is because our OWN need for control is so great."

It is not that God has to be perfect, it is that we humans always feel that WE ourselves have to be perfect, and when we naturally fall short, we then feel guilt and anger and fear. Naturally we project these feelings of inadequacy onto our God because we feel them ourselves. But reality is reality, and we have little actual control over that fact. That being said, what is so wrong with the idea of a God who makes mistakes? If God is truly omnipotent and All-powerful, is it not also in the free power of God to make mistakes?

We feel threatened by this idea not because it is foreign to God or because God has to be inherently perfect, but rather because we believe that we ourselves need to be perfect, and this need for perfection is anthropomorphically applied to God.

If God exists, His existence is not dependent upon our own belief, and further He is not limited by our own limitations. He does not have to be perfect simply because it is our own ideal, but rather much as we have to embrace life with all its mistakes and bad days which are entirely out of our control, so to do we need to relinquish the idea of a perfect God, and allow God to exist on His own terms, not our own..

deep as the waves as Redondo Beach man, got my head spinnin like 100 spokes!

krastian 08.16.2010 02:18 PM

LifeDistortion 08.22.2010 05:32 AM

The first one hundred pages of this is brilliant madness.