Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Eternal Streaming Review (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30767)

Androol 04.29.2009 05:03 AM

walkin blue just sounds like something off thurston's new solo but with kim singing. i mean its good but my strong impression was that i liked the song better when it was on trees outside the academy

Androol 04.29.2009 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sy2004
my opinion is that it's yet another great addition to their discography and whatever any other so-called sy fan thinks doesn't bother me at all, that's their problem, not mine :p

agree 100%

still think its their worst though :p

summer 04.29.2009 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Androol
walkin blue just sounds like something off thurston's new solo but with kim singing. i mean its good but my strong impression was that i liked the song better when it was on trees outside the academy

This proves you're a moron. I may dislike the song but at least I know who sings it? >.> Kim isn't involved with that song I'm prettyyyy sure.

Androol 04.29.2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer
This proves you're a moron. I may dislike the song but at least I know who sings it? >.> Kim isn't involved with that song I'm prettyyyy sure.

ok sorry i was thinking of the next song massage the history

"i know we're all confused its true. i know you feel the same way."

so give me a break alright

Schizophrenia 04.29.2009 05:14 AM

Quote:

ok sorry i was thinking of the next song massage the history

"i know we're all confused its true. i know you feel the same way."

so give me a break alright

ok, worse then :|
massage the history is probably the best song in the whole album.
you should try listen to it again... really. :)

greedrex 04.29.2009 05:15 AM

Quote:

You mean "Massage", don't you.
Cuz Walking Blue is a signature Lee track
dOOd!!!!

Androol 04.29.2009 05:16 AM

ok starting now

and walkin blues just kicked my ass :)

and i suppose massage the history isnt that similar to trees outside the academy. its just the opening acoustic line thats very similar.

radarmaker 04.29.2009 06:32 AM

OPINIONATED MESSAGEBOARD USERS FAIL TO AGREE CRITICAL CONSENSUS SHOCKER!!!

auto-aim 04.29.2009 07:03 AM

I'm quite surprised how strongly and positive everybody feels after a good couple of listens. this was my initial ideas.

Quote:

!! initial half-way impressions are that it's very enjoyable but not exceptional.. A couple of moments it's broken from the straighforward-ness and I've thought "why didn't they just base a song around that whole part?" which, i don't know.. this is just on first listen though - and also i'm not liking experiancing my new music this way at all. but it is nice. Also kind of what people have said/ guessed - like RR but significantly more rocking, it seems.

And I still kind of agree with that but after about the 3rd listen it started to catch. I think I've come to the conclusion that people like songs more than albums - as an album i find that it all kind of merges into one and doesn't flow all that great and I get a lttle fatigued listening to it by the latter half - it's good though don't get me wrong, better than RR I think, but not exceptional. What it is is a tight collection of solid accessable songs. And i think that's what people want. I enjoy all of it but a little disapointed that nothing has surprised me - which RR did do. I don't expec the band to have to surprise me at all but it is one aspect i enjoy of getting a new album.. (I kind of like going, what is this shit?! and then it to slowly eek in.) and I kind of think it needs a few more things to break it up. Everything is kind of in the same style and tempo.
Its a really good album - i think high points for me are massage the history, malibu gas station, anti-orgasm and thurstons lou reed impersonation - though the vocal panning on the chorus of that song is a bit shit.
That said I wouldn't stand by these opinions - I haven't had the album long enough. I also think it'd be a better album not to listen to in the context of a new release - rather than picking it up randomly when getting the catalogue of SY. if that makes any sense at all!
but i dont understand all the instant love also.

yanouche 04.29.2009 09:56 AM

I'm after first listening and I really like it. It's fine album as a whole.
Though I can't stop smiling when I hear "In The Court of The Crimson King" in chorus of "Antenna". Anyone noticed?

hevusa 04.29.2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auto-aim
I get a lttle fatigued listening to it by the latter half

Maybe because of the piss poor bit rate of the stream????

Schizophrenia 04.29.2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanouche
I'm after first listening and I really like it. It's fine album as a whole.
Though I can't stop smiling when I hear "In The Court of The Crimson King" in chorus of "Antenna". Anyone noticed?

Someone also said that in this thread. I can't say anything about it cause I don't know that cd :)

Derek 04.29.2009 10:27 AM

Anyone else not impressed after the first listen?

marleypumpkin 04.29.2009 10:36 AM

^: Nope

Eli Renfro 04.29.2009 10:56 AM

A good, solid album. It's probably not going to crack into the list of one of my favorites, but it's better than their weaker albums. So it's somewhere in the middle of the pack of their LPs, which means its pretty darn good.

My quick description would be the more mature 21st century SY songwriting style mixed with a Goo/Dirty type of aesthetic...if that makes any sense.

The Lee songs are the best Lee songs since NYC Ghosts, for sure. Walkin Blue is actually one of my favorite Lee songs ever, I hope it makes it to the live repertoire.

Massage the History is the best song on the album, though. So atmospheric and moody, love Kim's vocals, the acoustic guitar, etc... Fantastic way to end the album.

Malibu kicks ass. Antenna should become a Thurston concert staple. Actually, the only 2 songs I'm not really into are Sacred Trickster and Anti-Orgasm. I like the music of Anti-Orgasm, especially the spacey outro at the end, but the lyrics and "vocal stylings" are just... lame. Like if I was listening to Eternal with a friend or two at my place, I'd skip it so I wouldn't have to feel embarrassed to be listening to it. But I guess I'm in the minority on that opinion...oh well.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.29.2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Walkin' Blue is better than anything off of Trees.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.29.2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancykitten
Yes, I think this'll be a record that sounds better the more you listen. (Whereas Rather Ripped sounded really good on first listen, and less so on each subsequent one, haha.)

For me Rather Ripped was total trash on first listen, then grew on me. Though it still has big problems for me.

To me I loved on first listen and subsequent listens has made it even better. Though the OMG new album this is the best thing in the world has faded from it for me now.

marleypumpkin 04.29.2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Though the OMG new album this is the best thing in the world has faded from it for me now.

It had to happen sometime. But one should take that into account, & space their listens out more.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.29.2009 11:29 AM

I was bound to put on Sister and Evol after awhile just to see what I thought of them, and they're still my favorites. Though the band is so different now, it's like comparing Fugazi's The Argument to Repeater.

deflinus 04.29.2009 01:35 PM

listening to the stream right now. first listen. sacred trickster and anti-orgasm are pretty fucking rocking. didn't expect the gorgeous ending to anti.

i'm up to leaky lifeboat and for some reason i keep repeating it. i LOVE this song. i love the harmonics. it's such a great song, i don't know why. steve's drumming fucking rules