Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

SONIC GAIL 08.31.2010 12:50 PM

Chair catalouges they are very interesting ;)

Inhuman 08.31.2010 01:59 PM

I've barely had time to read lately due to the high influx of work, though I have 3 on the go:

Barely cracked into it, but it's my debut Joyce book. He seems all over the place, I need to expose myself to more literature in this fashion to understand the less linearized way that he writes. Maybe I'll do Finnegans wake one day and hopefully complete it before dying.

Extremely comprehensive and pragmatic. I used to see the Chakra system as esoteric knowledge, but understanding science while applying healing methods described in this book provide immense psycho-therapeutic epicness.

This book is evil. Robert Greene is well read and it kind of outlines some of the power strategies described in the Art of War. Very interesting to understand how people will use manipulation in their business strategies.

verme (prevaricator) 09.01.2010 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
en inglés, perro?

nah.

noisereductions 09.02.2010 08:53 PM

the new Maxim with Lindsay on the cover

TheFoxBen 09.03.2010 09:46 AM

me. 09.05.2010 03:20 PM

Manazuru by Hiromi Kawakami

batreleaser 09.05.2010 09:38 PM

I just finished God's Son by Cormac. Read everything he's written now. Prolly my 4th favorite McCarthy book. Just starting "Freedom" now.

moppity 09.06.2010 01:08 AM

Pretty excited to read Freedom. Just waiting for the library to get their copies.

pbradley 09.06.2010 02:49 AM

Has anyone read about reading If On A Winter's Night A Traveler by Italo Calvino? Is it any good or is it a one-trick recursive pony?

!@#$%! 09.08.2010 12:01 PM

just finished this comic book

not bad-- bizarre archaic dialogue was great, very good art, alright story but it felt a little hurried-- pretty good as a whole.

and just started

hilarious first few pages. very promising.

brak's dad 09.08.2010 12:04 PM

Deviled eggs: Friend or foe? By The Egg Council.
A truly enligtening read that I would reccomend for all good looking consumers of deviled eggs

finding nobody 09.08.2010 12:40 PM

great trilogy. Loved/hated the ending.

StevOK 09.09.2010 11:04 AM

Count Mecha 09.09.2010 01:52 PM

Read about Thirty some issues of this so far. It's been pretty fun. It's a little clunky at times and the character presence distribution is awful. The animal farm Fables feature very sparsely. And it's a shame too because there are some great characters there. But it's still interesting.

The book seems to encourage readers to research the lesser known Fables it sometimes features, such as Redcross Knight, Reynard, Baba Yaga so on. The art is nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done.

The plot though it meanders at times, is for the most part forward moving which is nice to have in a comic book these days I think. It's a book that's not afraid to kill it's characters (though the characters themselves are sometimes very resistant to that haha) and does so with regularity. The most obviously enjoyable element of the book is just how it modernizes these ancient fables. After centuries, Pinocchio is still just a boy who been waiting forever just to hit puberty and his chance to get laid, Beauty and the Beast have regular needs for marriage counseling, Prince Charming is really just a smug dick who just shacks up with random women and steals their money.

The threat of The Adversary is exciting and Boy Blue's account of the last stand against his forces in the Homelands is brutal, bloody, and fierce, and quite depressing. And I'm sure his inevitable invasion of Fabletown will be intense.

Haha, but whatever, good book, hope it stays good.

!@#$%! 09.09.2010 02:00 PM

fables is AWESOME!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.09.2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
just finished this comic book

not bad-- bizarre archaic dialogue was great, very good art, alright story but it felt a little hurried-- pretty good as a whole.

I was looking at this about a month ago, does it pretty much just follow the book series?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.23.2010 04:12 PM

ann ashtray 09.25.2010 07:50 PM

Room full of Mirrors: A Biography of Jimi Hendrix

Read it a couple years ago, good enough to read again. Wish I could find more info on his supposed time spent in Macon, GA.

jon boy 09.25.2010 08:18 PM

i cant stop laughing!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.27.2010 11:28 PM