Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

ilduclo 02.18.2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL

That's the one I got an autograph on "to Mike, best wishes from Uncle Bill"

he was a sweetie during his old age. big lover of the kitties, too.

I've just started this one

looks pretty great, lots of killer pictures, and George L appears to be nearly as good a writer as he is a trombonist. U Chicago has some really great books, their publishing is well represented in casa duclo.

http://www.jazz.com/features-and-int...h-george-lewis

a-p a. niemi 02.19.2011 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
^ I'm reading Burroughs too:)

Nice! Just read Junky and now reading Queer.

me. 02.20.2011 01:33 PM

Hermann Hesse - Strange News from Another Star

Sonic Youth 37 02.20.2011 02:19 PM

It's good, but the wording Fleming uses can be strange and difficult to understand sometimes. Nice plot.

Very interesting and humorous. I'm only about 100 pages in. I hate the copy I have due to the fact that it's a mass market edition and damn near 600 pages long or something close to it.

About halfway finished. Meh. Hammett's prose kind of annoys me.

chrome noise tape 02.20.2011 02:34 PM

my favourite portugese poet

Derek 02.20.2011 02:35 PM

Dostoevsky's The Idiot.

terminal pharmacy 02.20.2011 03:24 PM

Rob Instigator 02.21.2011 01:48 AM

Interviews with art spiegelman
And a catalog and analysis of william blake's paintings

EVOLghost 02.21.2011 07:42 AM

I want to buy this book. Anyone read it? My literature teacher seems to love this book .

EVOLghost 02.21.2011 07:59 AM

oh yeah and I read Kafka's short story "THe Judgement" and loved it. Kafka's absurd storytelling is magnificient. I love his stories.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.22.2011 04:07 PM

reading this for a second time a few years later, quite refreshing from my different perspective today. I really like the way Suskind captures the heaviness and deep emotive impact that underlies are banal and trivial daily lives and routines. Noel goes through boringly normal day and undergoes a series of realistically normal (and laughable) setbacks including being late for work, ripping your pants, and yet these are interpolated with bewildering emotions and memories of the past, explosive episodes of ecstasy, paranoia, social anxiety, dread, joy, sumptuousness. Detailed and perfectly descriptive narration, with potent insights and symbols both ostentatiously and yet also subtly laid out..

I love Patrick Suskind, his style reverberates in my very being, like reading my own internal dialogue, pure genius the way certain musicians capture the indescribable feelings of the inside world of the mind..

Pelle 02.22.2011 04:48 PM

I've finally managed to borrow a copy of 1984.

:)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.22.2011 07:12 PM

pss..

(much better)

krastian 02.22.2011 07:59 PM

^Can't go wrong there.

space 02.22.2011 09:12 PM

I EAT NERDS FOR BREAKFAST.

GRINDCORE FURY.

ink. 02.22.2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

reading this for a second time a few years later, quite refreshing from my different perspective today. I really like the way Suskind captures the heaviness and deep emotive impact that underlies are banal and trivial daily lives and routines. Noel goes through boringly normal day and undergoes a series of realistically normal (and laughable) setbacks including being late for work, ripping your pants, and yet these are interpolated with bewildering emotions and memories of the past, explosive episodes of ecstasy, paranoia, social anxiety, dread, joy, sumptuousness. Detailed and perfectly descriptive narration, with potent insights and symbols both ostentatiously and yet also subtly laid out..

I love Patrick Suskind, his style reverberates in my very being, like reading my own internal dialogue, pure genius the way certain musicians capture the indescribable feelings of the inside world of the mind..

I may need to pick this up..

alteredcourse 02.23.2011 01:00 AM

I read different things in different settings. I need a defrag.

moppity 02.23.2011 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ink.
I may need to pick this up..

Me too.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.23.2011 11:02 AM

"..the most formidable intellect in public discourse.."

the condescending pretentiousness of this douche is overwhelming sometimes. his bullshit attitude might be appreciable if he could actually write anything other than sensationalist sound bites and instead argue some substance and depth of subject. I have never been more disappointed then when reading Dawkins, seriously, science should vote to have a better representative, and a more sophisticated arguer at that ;)

Pookie 02.23.2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

"..the most formidable intellect in public discourse.."

the condescending pretentiousness of this douche is overwhelming sometimes. his bullshit attitude might be appreciable if he could actually write anything other than sensationalist sound bites and instead argue some substance and depth of subject. I have never been more disappointed then when reading Dawkins, seriously, science should vote to have a better representative, and a more sophisticated arguer at that ;)

He must be doing something right if he so obviously touches a nerve.;)