Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Photography Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=328)

Satan 07.14.2009 12:19 PM

hahaha go ahead

floatingslowly 07.14.2009 12:22 PM

oh, I have no need to.

I'll be able to recall with perfect clarity.

Antagon 07.15.2009 09:16 AM

Eldorado Biarritz

Around springtime 2004

phoenix 07.15.2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
i really want a fuji natura classica
if anyone has had any experience with these please tell me about them because from what i've read/seen they are amazing, i often times don't like to use a flash in low light situations and i also don't like using a super fast film speed due to the amount of grain and from what it looks like this camera is amazing and does an excellent job of reproducing light the way your eye sees it so you get a more true-to-life image

never used one but just read on the lomo site;

'This handy, point-and-shoot 35mm camera is a dream product for analog lovers who love lowlight and indoor photography. Equipped with the NP (‘natural photo’) mode which calculates the subject’s brightness and adjusts the exposure according to the available light, it’s so light-sensitive that you’ll never need to use flash again. Pair it with a fast film, preferably the Natura Classica 1600 (NP mode only works for ISO 800 and above) and you’ll get natural-light images with sharp, faithful colors, fine details, and a very smooth grain. Say goodbye to washed-out effects of the harsh flash!

ranging from ISO 50 to 3200. Make the most out of the ‘Natural photo’ mode and use fast film – ISO 800 and above. It works excellently with Fuji Natura Classica 1600, which was specially designed for the Natura Classica camera.

'

so, you'll need to use 800 + film to get the best out of the camera anyway it seems..

To me from looking at specs/write up it looks like a happy snap that has an auto-adjust exposure feature for whatever is in focus, the likes of which you could get manually on an SLR if you were remotely competent.

Even using a happy snap/low quality cameras though, a lot of what you see in a print is down to whoever is pressing buttons that day...

phoenix 07.15.2009 09:52 AM

oh, though.. I do only own one real 'happy snap' camera, and it is a fuji.. and performs brilliantly under low light with the flash turned off.. It was the only camera I took with me to visit London and there weren't many disapointing shots.. and I was only using max 400iso.. many times with the flash turned off and shots at dusk/minimal natural light.. So I think it captures godly images.. for what it is. Wish I had some on this computer but I don't. will have a dig around when I get a chance.

phoenix 07.15.2009 09:54 AM

oh.. actually I lie haha.. it's an olympus :P

_slavo_ 07.15.2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
i really want a fuji natura classica
if anyone has had any experience with these please tell me about them because from what i've read/seen they are amazing, i often times don't like to use a flash in low light situations and i also don't like using a super fast film speed due to the amount of grain and from what it looks like this camera is amazing and does an excellent job of reproducing light the way your eye sees it so you get a more true-to-life image

at $375 it seems a little steep

i know serious photographers have cameras and lenses that cost thousands of dollars but i'm cheap...

Damn, I shouldn't have seen this ... I want that so bad now!
Anyways, it's a bit too expensive, as I see it. You can get LC-A's for half the price on ebay. it's a different cup of tea, i know, but LC-A's are top notch in what they do, although they-re not hightech.

phoenix 07.15.2009 10:16 AM

I'd rather spend my money on more film than buying a new non slr camera. But that's just me..

phoenix 07.15.2009 10:18 AM

$375 could buy me... 120 ish polaroids. Or any number of combinations of colour film/slide/nice bw

nicfit 07.15.2009 10:56 AM

I wanna build a semi-lomo lens adapter for my digital camerasss.
frag.fudge.

"I always loved these, they're like booooze for doooolls....they gave me ten!"

ha ah ahha haha beautiful scene, that is.

edit here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M-Cr3rmMC8

off topic, upsss.

looking glass spectacle 07.15.2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix
never used one but just read on the lomo site;

'This handy, point-and-shoot 35mm camera is a dream product for analog lovers who love lowlight and indoor photography. Equipped with the NP (‘natural photo’) mode which calculates the subject’s brightness and adjusts the exposure according to the available light, it’s so light-sensitive that you’ll never need to use flash again. Pair it with a fast film, preferably the Natura Classica 1600 (NP mode only works for ISO 800 and above) and you’ll get natural-light images with sharp, faithful colors, fine details, and a very smooth grain. Say goodbye to washed-out effects of the harsh flash!

To me from looking at specs/write up it looks like a happy snap that has an auto-adjust exposure feature for whatever is in focus, the likes of which you could get manually on an SLR if you were remotely competent.

exactly...

if you REALLY want something "so light-sensitive that you’ll never need to use flash again," i suggest this 35mm nikkor that opens up to f/0.9. yes... it has an f/stop lower than 1!

put it on yr F-series body of choice, or D300 and higher if you can afford it. then get some tmax 3200 and push it a stop to 6400.

i don't have this lens, but i have a 50mm f/1.2 and i really like the way pushed film looks. i use 3200 tmax sometimes in broad daylight, with a red filter to drop the light 3 stops so i don't max out the shutter speed... it gives a really chunky grained stipple effect.

Satan 07.16.2009 12:56 PM

...i prefer to point and shoot. it feels more organic to me.

static-harmony 07.16.2009 01:10 PM

Those are good satan.

looking glass spectacle 07.17.2009 01:50 PM

me and my friend alan messing around with a fisheye lens we could never afford at the camera store...

phoenix 07.18.2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looking glass spectacle

I usually hate grain, but that is kind of sexy. It reminds me of b/w bitmap imagery. in a good way.

_slavo_ 07.19.2009 03:50 AM

I just bought an LC-A off e-bay.
I'm pissing my pants.

Satan 07.19.2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looking glass spectacle
me and my friend alan messing around with a fisheye lens we could never afford at the camera store...

thumbs up a million times

phoenix 07.19.2009 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
I just bought an LC-A off e-bay.
I'm pissing my pants.

aww neato. be sure to post pics.

Satan 07.19.2009 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
i agree w/ static-h....reallly good. dig the sky + flamingos the best. sometimes yr stuff has a moody feel, which, i enjoy.

thank you c:

everyone is probably well aware of this but i'm a pretty moody person, not necessarily bad moods but everything i do relates to how i feel at that moment and i think it translates into my photos often

Satan 07.19.2009 04:29 AM

yeah it definitely does
not as much as singing and playing guitar/bass though
or beating the fuck out of the drums
playing music is the best way (for me) to take out aggression