Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

Dead-Air 04.30.2011 10:16 PM

Millennium by John Varley ('70s time travel/plane crash science fiction novel).

Bertrand 05.01.2011 04:18 AM

The Great Gatsby, and I am surprised to find the same kind of atmosphere I like in Jeffrey Eugenides.

Before that came Jonathan Coe's latest, which bored me and tasted like still water.

In between was a comic book by one of my craves, Pixel Vengeur :

jonathan 05.01.2011 08:11 AM

The Big Short by Michael Lewis, which is a terribly pedestrian account of the financial crisis, but a quick read none the less.

My roommate was kind enough to get me a copy of The Magus by John Fowles, which I'll start after I finish this program in June.

Pelle 05.01.2011 04:08 PM

'Holes', easy read book I found in a box of shit I got.
Pretty good actually..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.01.2011 04:20 PM

has anyone read any jules verne? I been mad trying to find some jules verne, but i treat books like used records, getting em at Amazon.com is just pathetically easy and takes away the whole artform of finding good books

!@#$%! 05.01.2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
has anyone read any jules verne? I been mad trying to find some jules verne, but i treat books like used records, getting em at Amazon.com is just pathetically easy and takes away the whole artform of finding good books

psch, they are all free in project gutenberg at this point, do a search. which means they also should be on dover thrift editions or similar imprints.

they should also be (free) in the amazon kindle store. so you can download the files to a kindle or kindle reader software (in your computer) to make them more readable.

i read him aaaages ago-- voyage to the center of the earth, 20,000 leagues under the sea, from the earth to the moon, etc.

you got no library card? that shit *should* be there if you don't want to read in the computer.

-----

EDIT: i read in a hurry and i thought you were having trouble finding them.

so you WANT TO have trouble finding them? that's easily accomplished-- you're in LA. good luck sweating!

ilduclo 05.18.2011 12:49 PM

just picked up a discount copy of 2066, only $8, that's less than a penny a page, what a bargain!

Glice 05.18.2011 01:13 PM

Rowan Williams - Silence and Honey cakes; the wisdom of the desert.

Not what I wanted it to be, but as ever a lovely piece of writing from dear Row.

SonicBebs 05.18.2011 03:53 PM

not as good as old man and the sea but pretty good

Pookie 05.19.2011 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Rowan Williams - Silence and Honey cakes; the wisdom of the desert.

Not what I wanted it to be, but as ever a lovely piece of writing from dear Row.

Rowan Williams is quite clearly one of the good uns. Unfortunately he has to weave his views around the inconsistancies and stupidities of his idiotic religion.

Glice 05.19.2011 04:11 AM

I know, right? He wants to come over to the bells and smells side. Bring back the guilds, I say.

Pookie 05.19.2011 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Rowan Williams is quite clearly one of the good uns. Unfortunately he has to weave his views around the inconsistancies and stupidities of his idiotic religion.

Not unlike Suchfriends...

Pookie 05.19.2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

I know, right? He wants to come over to the bells and smells side. Bring back the guilds, I say.

You'd love that wouldn't you?
You'd love it.

LifeDistortion 06.02.2011 07:20 PM

Was curious if anyone here has read the Ryu Murakami novel of "Audition". The book was adapted into a pretty well known japanese horror film. If you seen the movie is the book still worth a read? Without going into detail, is the movie pretty faithful to the book or are there differences in the book that are worth appreciating?

ann ashtray 06.02.2011 10:26 PM

Atrocity Exhibition

deflinus 06.02.2011 11:01 PM

LifeDistortion 06.04.2011 08:44 PM

I finished "Neuromancer" and really enjoyed it. I'm going to read "Carrion Comfort" by Dan Simmons next.

StevOK 06.05.2011 12:11 PM

Just finished Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, started reading Prisoners of the Stars (volume two of an anthology) by Isaac Asimov.

demonrail666 06.05.2011 12:40 PM

demonrail666 06.05.2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Silence and Honey cakes; the wisdom of the desert.

If nothing else, the best title for a book I've seen in a long time.