Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

gmku 03.02.2009 08:31 AM

It's diiferent than it looks from the ads and previews. Much better than I thought it would be. You have to be ready for sort of a Bollywood experience though, but in a good way.

!@#$%! 03.02.2009 08:42 AM

FUCKING EXCELLENT.

loved every minute of that movie.

gmku 03.02.2009 08:44 AM

It is pretty good.

noisereductions 03.02.2009 08:53 AM

The new Friday the 13th (Finally!!!). I thought it was a blast. It felt like a sequel instead of a remake. So I was relieved and liked it even more than I expected.

noisereductions 03.02.2009 10:42 AM

Hustle & Flow (again). An amazing film.

demonrail666 03.02.2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
The new Friday the 13th (Finally!!!). I thought it was a blast. It felt like a sequel instead of a remake. So I was relieved and liked it even more than I expected.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, as being like a sequel I mean. It makes sense. You obviously couldn't do that with one-offs like The Wicker Man (even though the remake is so different from the original that it hardly qualifies as one) or Last House on the Left. Maybe I should've tried that way of looking at stuff like Rob Zombie's Halloween or even the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake (which story-wise is a bit like a sequel anyway). Good call.

atsonicpark 03.02.2009 10:56 AM

Rob Zombie's Halloween is still one of the worst films ever made.

Elvis Is Alive! I Swear I Saw Him Eating Ding Dongs Outside the Piggly Wiggly's! - 7/10

gualbert 03.02.2009 10:58 AM

Bonne Chance.( Sacha Guitry )

demonrail666 03.02.2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Rob Zombie's Halloween is still one of the worst films ever made.

It is bad, I agree. But start putting it up against some of the sequels and it start to fit in a little more. Against the original it doesn't stand a hope in hell - but then few films do.

atsonicpark 03.02.2009 11:12 AM

I'm wearing a Halloween shirt right now actually.

demonrail666 03.02.2009 11:13 AM

Not this one i take it:

atsonicpark 03.02.2009 11:23 AM

no, it's the first movie's cover, in faded black and white.

noisereductions 03.02.2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
It is bad, I agree. But start putting it up against some of the sequels and it start to fit in a little more. Against the original it doesn't stand a hope in hell - but then few films do.

I loved it.

But I mostly think of that one like a prequel. Really if he had cut out the last 20 mins, that's all it would've been.

Rob Instigator 03.02.2009 12:41 PM

Me and the g/f were looking for a movie to watch for free from cable while wasted and we picked tHE MEXICAN

I give it a 4/10. Pretty pointless, brad pitt and julia roberts trogether was fucking TERRIBLE, but luckily they are only together on screen for like 15 minutes. The movie just sucked though. some funny bits, but not worth paying money for sure

atsonicpark 03.02.2009 11:34 PM

yeah the mexican is awful.

!@#$%! 03.03.2009 09:51 AM

holy shit i'd never pick that movie for anything except to burn. anything with julia roberts, really-- fucking unbearable. eugh!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.03.2009 12:51 PM

The Blair Witch Project

This is easily one of the 5 best horror flicks of the '90s. The whole cinema verite feel works extremely well and even today the film had the power to suck me back into it's found footage storyline. The film skillfully adds an entire second layer of bone-chillingly realistic fright by leaving the truth of the Blair Witch up to the viewer's imagination. A tactic that many recent horror films could learn a lesson in. From a decade that bombarded us with I Know What You Did Last Summers, this film was quite a surprise.

atsonicpark 03.03.2009 01:02 PM

It's alright. Clever marketing.

Rob Instigator 03.03.2009 01:06 PM

julia roberts was fucking horrible.
her acting range is ri-DONK-ulously minimal.

noisereductions 03.03.2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

The Blair Witch Project

This is easily one of the 5 best horror flicks of the '90s. The whole cinema verite feel works extremely well and even today the film had the power to suck me back into it's found footage storyline. The film skillfully adds an entire second layer of bone-chillingly realistic fright by leaving the truth of the Blair Witch up to the viewer's imagination. A tactic that many recent horror films could learn a lesson in. From a decade that bombarded us with I Know What You Did Last Summers, this film was quite a surprise.

I dnt know about top 5. But it is a great film. And in fairness to I KNOW WHAT YOU DID... that was really a flood of films that followed the success of Scream, which IS actually one of the top 5 horror films of the 90's.

Kevin Williams was a goldmine for 90's teen shiz.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.03.2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
And in fairness to I KNOW WHAT YOU DID... that was really a flood of films that followed the success of Scream, which IS actually one of the top 5 horror films of the 90's.

One of my many grudges against the Scream trilogy.

noisereductions 03.03.2009 01:41 PM

^though a lot of bad clones followed, I can't be mad at Scream for actually granting new slashers/etc a green light. Sure there was plenty of bad flicks, but I'm sure other brilliant films like Ginger Snaps would have never happened had it not been for the success of Scream.

fugazifan 03.03.2009 06:51 PM

amazing. that dog scene scared the shit outta me. my only problem is that argento films SO well. his cinematography is some of the most exquisite that ive seen, but, the dialogues are recorded so poorly that the acting just seems off at times. and the sound was mixed so terribly. i had my finger on the volume button the whole time, because you could barely hear them talk, but when someone gets murdered the volume and music would go way up.
but other than that he is amazing.
i have seen so far
suspiria
profondo rosso
the bird with chrystal plumage and this
what should i see next of his. i want to see opera. is that any good?

atsonicpark 03.03.2009 08:22 PM

Good, another Argento fan. I wore his films out a long time ago and was super disappointed with all his recent flicks except Mother of Tears. Here's Argento flicks, in order, in my opinion; take it for what it's worth:

1. Tenebre
2. Deep Red
3. Opera
4. Stendhal Syndrome
5. Trauma
6. his half of Two Evil Eyes; the George Romero half is one of the worst things ever filmed by anyone EVER
7. Phenomena
8. Bird with the Crystal Plumage
9. Suspiria
10. Cat O'Nine Tails
11. Mother of Tears
12. Four Flies on Grey Velvet
13. Sleepless
14. Inferno
15. The Card Player
16. Jennifer
17. Do You Like Hitchcock?
18. Pelts
19. Phantom of the Opera

Never saw 5 Days in Mulan, though I'm pretty sure no one in America has.

As with most directors, I tend to gravitate towards their more artful, "weirder" stuff, so yeah, Opera is fucking amazing, though a lot of people will tell you otherwise. It has his most surreal moments ever. It was also the first film of his I saw.. I picked it up at a Big Lots 7 years ago. BIG LOTS. Dunno if you have one of those there but holy shit. They get weird, fucked-up movies there occasionally. No idea what this was doing there.. I bought Opera, Maniac, Sleepaway Camp, and a Sex Pistols documentary on the same day at BIG LOTS. Man. I love Big Lots.

But yeah, I fucking love Opera. It's too good.... Tenebre's his best, though. It's brutal, visually compelling, just perfect. Opera has some slow moments but just for some of the camera angles alone, it's worth it. As for his newer films, Stendhal Syndrome is his most brutal film probably. Rape and 3D bullets and all kinds of weird shit. Mother of Tears was a decent return to form, featuring a nice steel pole vagina rape, the best since cannibal holocaust. It ended up being a goofy parody of his films but it was entertaining.

I seem to be in the minority of people who thinks Opera is a masterpiece and Inferno is a boring, slow, worthless piece of shit for most of its length, besides some cool set pieces and the oversaturated colors (and the camera work by Mario Bava in a few scenes; I can tell the scenes he filmed because they're the best scenes in the movie!).

Argento is a very inconsistent director who has made a lot of bullshit but he has at least 5 GREAT films and I love him.

atsonicpark 03.03.2009 08:28 PM

Also, check out my deep red appreciation thread!:

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...hlight=argento

demonrail666 03.03.2009 08:33 PM

You'd honestly rate Stendhal Syndrome above Suspiria?

!@#$%! 03.03.2009 11:11 PM

no movies tonight-- ive been watching anime all evening ha ha

i feel a bit retarded, but it was fun

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.03.2009 11:40 PM

Suspiria (talk about coincidence...eh?)

Brazil

atsonicpark 03.04.2009 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
You'd honestly rate Stendhal Syndrome above Suspiria?

Yeah. I think Suspiria totally falls apart in the end and it's a bit boring aside from the first killing and the oversaturated colors. I'm not a big fan of "witch stories" and such, maybe that's what it is. I just always found it a wee bit overrated. Stendhal Syndrome is gritty, dirty, nasty, bizarre, etc. I like it way better.

fugazifan 03.04.2009 03:29 AM

suspiria has some of the best colors ever...but i can see how they can be a bit much. i will say that suspiria's problem is one of the first scenes has one of the greatest killing scenes, ever and almost nothing else in the movie compares to it (except maybe the scene with the girl traped in the wire)

atsonicpark 03.04.2009 03:32 AM

Right. That's exactly how I felt. I mean, the first death scene, in my mind, is the BEST. I mean, jesus, I wish some talented directors had scene that (instead of, uhm, Lamberto Bava and some other fucking hacks) and been like "Holy shit, mixing art film aesthetics with brutal, graphic horror... sounds good!" I did see a part of a Troma film a few years ago, and I can't remember the name of it.. I think it was BEG!, but from what I saw, the whole thing was oversaturated and artful as fuck. Art/horror is a genre that needs to be explored more and definitely hasn't been, except by some pretty extreme examples.. clean shaven (which is KIND OF horror), sombre, begotten...

atsonicpark 03.04.2009 03:34 AM

Fugazifan, I've been watching some older Lars von Trier films, you seem like you'd be into him given your tastes though you may already be, I dunno, I can't remember, he's been mentioned a lot on this thread so...

europa - 7/10

element of crime - 8/10

fugazifan 03.04.2009 03:44 AM

ive only seen dancer in the dark and idiots. both were great, especially the idiots. some of the best acting that ive seen.
ive been meaning to see europa
i have like 4 days to watch movies, then second semester starts and i have way more classes than i did this semester and i start work. but i will be working at the media section if the library, so every thursday im allowed to take two movies home for the weekend. so i will have to rent a lot less. but then again i will have a lot less time to watch movies...

noisereductions 03.04.2009 08:18 AM

I'm a big Argento fan. Though he has some films that misfire plot-wise. DO YOU LIKE HITCHCOCK comes to mind for instance. His execution (colors, angles, and so on) is always great though.

cars_willkillyou 03.04.2009 08:25 AM

I just watched "the graduates" because i was trying to find "the graduate" on surfthechannel.com, but i had no such luck. i dont recommend it.

A Thousand Threads 03.04.2009 08:35 AM

atsonicpark 03.04.2009 04:01 PM

special needs - 7/10

Great independant comedy about a guy making a reality tv show about retarded people singing and dancing.

Derek 03.04.2009 04:47 PM

Dario Argento kicks my balls!

EyeballGrowth 03.04.2009 05:07 PM

My Name Is Bruce. It was okay, the villain was a terrible looking puppet that couldn't even move, but his theme song was the best part of the movie.

viewtiful_alan 03.04.2009 05:29 PM

9.5/10