Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

MellySingsDoom 05.01.2007 02:39 PM

Please up it, Mr S!

sarramkrop 05.01.2007 02:43 PM

Ok.

pantophobia 05.01.2007 02:49 PM

Radiohead is overrated in the sense that they are nowhere near the status of "best band of the last 15 years" moniker, I do enjoy The Bends though, i think it's a better record then OK Computer

Alot of noise on record isn't my tastes, i prefer it in a live setting, like The New Blockaders and Haters lp was good and all, but not mind blowing as they were live, you don't get the same ferocity on record

i think alot of the Bay Area scene is really underrated, I mean every knows Deerhoof and Xiu Xiu, but after that people forget about Numbers, The Coachwhips, and Erase Errata who I think are maybe of the best bands out there right now

also too criminally under looked are Helium/Mary Timony Band, The Posies, The Muffs, Visqueen, and Gumball

Glice 05.01.2007 02:57 PM

Wow, music is funny, isn't it? I quite like music. Sometimes. I still don't get Shostokovich though. Kaaria Saariaho is better than Xenakis. Takemitsu is way too patchy. Stockhausen is better at comedy than Zappa. Schoenberg should've steered clear of serialism. etc.

MellySingsDoom 05.01.2007 03:16 PM

John Cage's music sounds better on paper than it does on vinyl.

Glice 05.01.2007 03:19 PM

I think Mr Marras said the same thing earlier in this very thread. I remember him whinging about not liking Cage previously. You're both entirely wrong, and probably paedos, but well done for having opinions.

MellySingsDoom 05.01.2007 03:24 PM

If there's paedos on the board, as you say, then there's only one man to tackle us, er, I mean them. Them:

Glice 05.01.2007 03:26 PM

You smell of hammers.

Toilet & Bowels 05.01.2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
John Cage's music sounds better on paper than it does on vinyl.

i assume you are refering to the time he amplified the sound of himself writing on paper and performed it before an audience

sarramkrop 05.01.2007 03:30 PM

Did he not stuff the keys of a piano with lettuce? Twat.

MellySingsDoom 05.01.2007 03:30 PM

Damn you smarty pants! I totally forgot about that. No, I meant that his musical ideas are good to read, but not necessaroly to listen to...hmm, does anyone notice a B&Q smell around me?

Toilet & Bowels 05.01.2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Did he not stuff the keys of a piano with lettuce? Twat.

he's not a twat though, he's a lovely chap, if you ever get to she thise documentary about him you should as it is superb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0356765/

fugazifan 05.01.2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardinal Rob
Mr. Bungle I'd liken to spending an eternity in a "special" class with kids who spend their breaks spinning around in circles watching the mittens attatched to their jackets going round and round.

The Smiths are one of those bands that are so ace that they're aceness is independent of however many mere humans love them.

Yes, John Zorn has been recognised as a genius which is something that was bound to happen. This doesn't stop him from being far too underappreciated and underlistened. 11 year olds should be making Zorn #1 in the charts.

And for the love of merciless God, why can't you spell?

lazyness.
i just reviewed my post, and shit theres a lot of typos.
sorry about that.

also, all of the blabbering and weird noises between songs really ruins the flow of Pop tatari. i would listen to is much more often, maybe even dailey, if the beggining of each song didnt have a minute and a half of potty noises.
its fun the first few times, but then it gets tiresome...

sarramkrop 05.01.2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
he's not a twat though, he's a lovely chap, if you ever get to she thise documentary about him you should as it is superb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0356765/

The title is superb.

MellySingsDoom 05.01.2007 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
lazyness.
i just reviewed my post, and shit theres a lot of typos.
sorry about that.

also, all of the blabbering and weird noises between songs really ruins the flow of Pop tatari. i would listen to is much more often, maybe even dailey, if the beggining of each song didnt have a minute and a half of potty noises.
its fun the first few times, but then it gets tiresome...

I'm going to get a "fuck you" from fugazifan for saying this, but I am chuckling to myself about the fact that he's apologized for typos in a previous post whilst making even more in this post.

Still, my Hebrew is non-existent, so whaddyagonnado? Oy.

fugazifan 05.01.2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

I'm going to get a "fuck you" from fugazifan for saying this, but I am chuckling to myself about the fact that he's apologized for typos in a previous post whilst making even more in this post.

Still, my Hebrew is non-existent, so whaddyagonnado? Oy.

the sad thing is i'm american.
but im not a great speller simply because i dont put a lot of thought into it. i also hit the wrong keys and don't feel like fixing it.
like i said, lazyness....

Edit: and the above post isnt that bad, especially compared to the one before it...

MellySingsDoom 05.01.2007 04:07 PM

"Silver Machine" is a better song than "Ace Of Spades"

jonathan 05.01.2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

"Silver Machine" is a better song than "Ace Of Spades"

I don't think thats unpopular at all...

Hawkwind > Motorhead any day of the week.

jonathan 05.01.2007 04:16 PM

Pavement is boring... not sure if this has been stated, but I'm not looking through thirty pages to find it.

Pookie 05.01.2007 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonikold
here's one i actually believe:

pavement and modest mouse BLOW CHUNKS!!!

One of many Pavement posts.

Try the "search this thread" function.

Toilet & Bowels 05.01.2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan

Hawkwind > Motorhead any day of the week.

choosing between those two bands is tough but i'm more inclined to go with motorhead

Pookie 05.01.2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
choosing between those two bands is tough but i'm more inclined to go with motorhead

Bit like choosing between dog shit and cat shit. It's all shit.

ZEROpumpkins 05.02.2007 02:44 AM

Primus fucking rock, but Les is not the worlds greatest bass player. Just really really good.

MellySingsDoom 05.02.2007 03:22 AM

Matt Bellamy from Muse is a shit-hot guitar player - just a shame about the progressive metal-meets-Freddie Mercury tuneage he comes out with.

sarramkrop 05.02.2007 03:44 AM

You could safely say that people who judge other people just because of the music that they listen to are mentally inbalanced.

sonicl 05.02.2007 03:50 AM

But, to be honest, if someone says to me that their favourite music is what currently passes for soul music, then they are going to have to have something else pretty special going for them for me to end up being lifelong friends with them. It's just a type of music that I generally associate with lack of imagination.

sarramkrop 05.02.2007 03:51 AM

It's ok to have little exchanges of opinion on the internet, but if you carry on doing that with people in the real world all the time, you are a sad character. And besides, there is way too much said about music, books, films etc, so all the surplus of useless opinions sometimes get on the way of making quick decisions about something. We should have a whole day on this forum where noone says anything about music but just chat about toenails.

sonicl 05.02.2007 03:52 AM

Okay. The toenails on my little toes grow faster than the other ones. Why is that?

sarramkrop 05.02.2007 04:00 AM

I clipped mine earlier. It's a nice feeling.

sonicl 05.02.2007 04:04 AM

What do you do with your clippings? My dad used to throw his on the garden - I don't know if he still does.

sarramkrop 05.02.2007 04:07 AM

I make sculptures with them.

sonicl 05.02.2007 04:09 AM

Do you? Really?

Toilet & Bowels 05.02.2007 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I make sculptures with them.

a friend of mine does that (for real)

MellySingsDoom 05.02.2007 04:44 AM

Reminds of a favourite Loop song of mine, "The Nail Will Burn"...

Yvonne Elliman's "If I Cant' Have You" is a damn fine song

demonrail666 05.02.2007 06:18 AM

SY should've split up after DDN.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.02.2007 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
SY should've split up after DDN.

I hope you're kidding.:mad:

sonicl 05.02.2007 06:23 AM

If Kurt Cobain was still alive, Nirvana would be the uncoolest band around.

jonathan 05.02.2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HECKLER SPRAY
I hope you're kidding.:mad:

while I disagree... think about it, Sonic Youth would have been a completely different band.

What if Daydream Nation was an ending instead of a beginning? They still would have ruled.

SynthethicalY 05.02.2007 11:48 AM

After much deliberation The Killers are becoming one of my top bands.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.02.2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan
while I disagree... think about it, Sonic Youth would have been a completely different band.

What if Daydream Nation was an ending instead of a beginning? They still would have ruled.

I disagree 'cause if they had split after Daydream Nation, we 'd never have good albums like GOO, 1000 leaves, and many others.