Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40798)

tw2113 01.25.2020 03:43 PM

Finally got around to watching at least the first episode of The Mandalorian last night.

ilduclo 01.25.2020 05:33 PM

new season of Sabrina

_tunic_ 01.25.2020 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo
new season of Sabrina

What? New Sabrina series? :p

_tunic_ 01.26.2020 01:33 AM

Oh wait. That was meant as a joke, I didn't know it was actually sort of the same deal. So since you like cats, there's a Dutch TV show you might like. It's called Poesjes (Kittens), it's about kittens. Yes really :D
A family of cats live in a play doll house, together with their butler who's a turtle that loves to sing Sinatra at theend of each episode. Here's one episode
It's children TV but very cute and funny at the same time.

!@#$%! 01.27.2020 09:43 AM

amazon featuring a couple of cool shows on evolution

last week watched “your inner fish” which is a 3 parter (bbc/pbs?) 2014 show looking at our evolutionary roots in fishes, reptiles and primates. one episode each. really well put together.

here’s the first one on youtube: https://youtu.be/E8ttoKGxEKc

i think you can watch it on the pbs website also

the other (i’m in the middle of it) is also a pbs/bbc from 2018 called “neanderthal” that uses computer simulations to “reconstruct” neanderthal appearance, motion, speech sounds, etc. have not finished the last part which looks at their extinction and our neanderthal heritage.

i had no idea there were caves in gibraltar that had been inhabited by neanderthals!

demonrail666 01.31.2020 09:49 PM

Clannad After Story

EP 21 ... aka that episode

Why did I just do that to myself? It's not like I didn't know.

Traumatised ... again!

!@#$%! 02.01.2020 12:47 AM

you’re watching anime? this is a new development...

i thought you only watched hardboiled 70s cop shows

well not “only” but... i know you for certain tastes, and that looks perhaps “too fluffy” for your image. no?

i know i know... i don’t mean to stereotype.

now im curious about this show...

demonrail666 02.01.2020 03:38 AM

There's some stuff I really like, although I'm usually introduced to it by students. Anyway, fair to say there's sad anime (and there's certainly no shortage of that) then there's Clannad: After Story.

_tunic_ 02.01.2020 04:26 AM

Why did you remove the link https://youtu.be/9NZD5PQwWQM
It's hilarious :D

Anyway, I started watching Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency. Only seen ep 1 so far but it's bizarre and funny and scifi so I'll be looking forward to see the rest of it. Never read those books but I did read Hitchhiker's Guide... and loved it.

demonrail666 02.01.2020 04:40 AM

Hmm, I tested the link after posting it and it seemed broken.

Cool.

And that's even before he gets to Episode 21!!!

!@#$%! 02.02.2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
There's some stuff I really like, although I'm usually introduced to it by students. Anyway, fair to say there's sad anime (and there's certainly no shortage of that) then there's Clannad: After Story.

i came here to post something else but wow.

i’ll look for it

if you like sad anime maybe check tekkonkinkreet + grave of the fireflies if you haven’t

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Anyway, I started watching Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency. Only seen ep 1 so far but it's bizarre and funny and scifi so I'll be looking forward to see the rest of it. Never read those books but I did read Hitchhiker's Guide... and loved it.

speaking of cop shows is that a george gently parody or something?

(i havent seen the link yet)

!@#$%! 02.02.2020 08:30 PM

oh, and i originally came here to say:

i normally never watch halftime shows, but shakira and jlo...

WOWOWOW

demonrail666 02.02.2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i came here to post something else but wow.

i’ll look for it

if you like sad anime maybe check tekkonkinkreet + grave of the fireflies if you haven’t

I've seen Tekkonkinkreet and it didn't bother me too much but Clannad really got to me and I've been wary of that more ultra-emotional side of anime ever since. I've been warned about Grave of the Fireflies and I just won't go there. When I do watch anime, which is pretty rare, I prefer to play it safe by sticking to the really silly comedy stuff. Although even that can catch me out sometimes.

Rob Instigator 02.03.2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
amazon featuring a couple of cool shows on evolution

last week watched “your inner fish” which is a 3 parter (bbc/pbs?) 2014 show looking at our evolutionary roots in fishes, reptiles and primates. one episode each. really well put together.

here’s the first one on youtube: https://youtu.be/E8ttoKGxEKc

i think you can watch it on the pbs website also

the other (i’m in the middle of it) is also a pbs/bbc from 2018 called “neanderthal” that uses computer simulations to “reconstruct” neanderthal appearance, motion, speech sounds, etc. have not finished the last part which looks at their extinction and our neanderthal heritage.

i had no idea there were caves in gibraltar that had been inhabited by neanderthals!

Just recently DNA work in Africa shows that Neanderthal genes made their way there too. Europeans have someting like 6-8% neanderthal genes and they found a population in Africa that has 2-3% Neanderthal. humans have moved back and froth forEVER. borders are bullshit. border walls even more soo. (see how i made it political?)

!@#$%! 02.03.2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
(see how i made it political?)

yes! GOOD.

ilduclo 02.03.2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Just recently DNA work in Africa shows that Neanderthal genes made their way there too. Europeans have someting like 6-8% neanderthal genes and they found a population in Africa that has 2-3% Neanderthal. humans have moved back and froth forEVER. borders are bullshit. border walls even more soo. (see how i made it political?)

yeah, had my DNA run, interesting results. "Pure" north end of nowhere in eastern Scandinavia turns out to have headed up there with a side trip to India:rolleyes:

EmmaQ 02.03.2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful alan redux
Thats one of the rare shows that just truly keeps getting better and better.
Im one of those hypnotized by this show.

Yep, although this is already an old show, but I still sometimes watch it in records) I love it a lot!:)

ilduclo 02.03.2020 01:07 PM

Motherland s2. Pretty funny send up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8OntkoytME

Antagon 02.03.2020 05:53 PM

Finished BoJack Horseman Season 6. One of the most consistently great series of the last decade. And if I were to create a list of my favorite episodes of any series, "The View From Halfway Down" would rank in a very high position. Probably one of the most nuanced and emotionally resonant shows in quite some time. It just so happens to be about an anthropomorphic horse.

_tunic_ 02.04.2020 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
Finished BoJack Horseman Season 6. One of the most consistently great series of the last decade. And if I were to create a list of my favorite episodes of any series, "The View From Halfway Down" would rank in a very high position. Probably one of the most nuanced and emotionally resonant shows in quite some time. It just so happens to be about an anthropomorphic horse.

Interesting, i always assumed it was lame, I mean it's a talking horse. Never saw it actually except occasionally while channel hopping and I assumed it would be a reinterpretation of American Dad or Bobs Burgers or whatever.
You're not alone btw, I just read an article in a Dutch newspaper from earlier this week that was titled: "BoJack Horseman is half man, half horse – and completely genial".