Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

Rob Instigator 04.10.2013 04:02 PM

Has anyone read Magick Without Tears by Aleister Crowley? I printed it out and will be checking it out soon.

The library I work at has all the original editions of Crowley's books but they are held in the Special Collections area, not available for check-out.

Some of his books are in print, but there are quite a few that are not.

Пятхъдесят Шест 04.10.2013 07:53 PM

Again.

Rob Instigator 04.18.2013 01:06 PM

I finished the Dawkins book and am starting this one that I found in the Library I work at. 40 pages into and and awesome as fuck already. Parmenides is all up in this bitch.

Rob Instigator 04.18.2013 01:17 PM

Oh, and me and my wife are about 138 pages into this bad boy, one of my faves.

This is the 3rd time I am reading it. Read it when I was 19, then again around age 27. I am now 39. I see new shit every time.

tesla69 04.18.2013 01:19 PM

Metals, Culture and Capitalism by Jack Goody

lo-fi suicide 04.20.2013 07:49 AM

Rob Instigator 05.09.2013 10:49 AM

Man, if you guys want to read an engrossing collection of first hand accounts to a terrorist act, this is it. amazing book so far. Really amazing. Murakami is da MAN.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.09.2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I bought about a dozen or so books at the Friends of the Houston Public Library book sale yesterday. Some awesome stuff!

I buy all my books at the library across the street from work, they have some seriously great shit, in fabulous shape because they weren't in circulation most were donated for sale, usually $.50-1.00, sometimes even 3 for $1!! Recently read this:

I thought it was superb. I liked that it was a single day stretched across several hundred pages (this only felt like it was too much for a day once or twice during the novel), with the perfect blend of mundane daily moments which intersect deep existential insights and reflections. After all, isn't this how real life is? I get some my deepest epiphanies about life waiting for the light rail to pull up, or sweeping the kitchen floor. The ending was surprising at several layers, and while partly unrealistic, the over-all effect was convincing. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author, naturally fluid dialogue and better narration, excellent pace, expansive sensory details and setting.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.09.2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lo-fi suicide

That book was ok, but I get sick of Chuck's "he said" "she said" "I said" repetition, you have to almost invent your own conjugations just to get through it.. Coincidentally when I was reading Saturday, I was thinking to myself, "See, this is what Survivor could have been, a better crafted introspective exploration of a single day." McEwan does it better ;)

me. 06.20.2013 04:29 PM

Rob Instigator 06.20.2013 04:56 PM

On Volume 3 of Promethea by Alan Moore

Finished this one last week. Good stuff if you like science history and philosophy

demonrail666 06.20.2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I'm looking forward to reading more from this author, naturally fluid dialogue and better narration, excellent pace, expansive sensory details and setting.

Try and get hold of his first book, a collection of short stories, First Love Last Rites, and his really early novels like The Cement Garden and The Child in Time. Absolutely brilliant. He's mellowed a lot since then but purely in terms of the way he writes, along with maybe Kazuo Ishiguro, he's still probably my favourite current British novelist.

tw2113 06.20.2013 05:21 PM

Going through the Harry Potter books, despite having seen the movies and listened to the audiobooks before.

Toilet & Bowels 06.21.2013 03:44 AM

Just finished the David Browne book about SY, I found it very readable although I'm not sure if that's because the book is good or I'm just biased. Anywho, aside from being an easy read, his angle of approach to SY isn't one I'm particularly sympathetic too (how amazingly cool and important they are, comparing them to U2 and mainstream stuff all the time, explaining stuff that anyone who has reached the point of reading a book about SY probably doesn't need to have explained to them, telling it like a story he wrote rather than what it really is which is information gleaned from interviews and other resources, focusing way more on K&T but at the same time saying that the group works as a true democracy), there were interesting things about the group dynamic, and how career minded they were/are, how it seemed for a long time that they all thought they had a chance of making it big... and how anyone could ever have thought that is beyond me.

Toilet & Bowels 06.21.2013 03:46 AM

Started this this morning, 4 or 5 pages in and already enjoying it a lot.

pony 06.21.2013 04:40 AM

will start this next week:

so excited!

GravitySlips 06.21.2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Started this this morning, 4 or 5 pages in and already enjoying it a lot.

Oh, nice one - I'll need to get that. The Psychic Soviet is one of my favourite books.

stu666 06.25.2013 01:17 PM

Rob Instigator 06.25.2013 01:47 PM

sonic sphere 06.25.2013 02:29 PM