Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.04.2009 12:05 AM

Anyone else see this one?
These 'mumblecore' films intrigue me, but they can get nauseating at times (both literally and figuratively).

noisereductions 05.04.2009 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon

good stuff.

barnaclelapse 05.04.2009 07:13 AM

I'm still not sure what the big fuss was with Session 9. I thought it was awful.

(Shrugs)

Wolverine: 2/5
King Kong (original): 5/5
The Dream Team: 4/5
Prizzi's Honor: 5/5

viewtiful_alan 05.04.2009 05:47 PM

4.5/10

for me 4.0 is where redeeming value isn't really a factor any longer, the lower it gets just measures how bad it is rather than trying to evaluate any goodness

gmku 05.04.2009 06:53 PM

Has anyone seen Tokyo?

Danny Himself 05.04.2009 07:46 PM

I seriously can't stop watching BOTTLE ROCKET! I don't even know why- I used to think it was Anderson's weakest film, and I didn't like the costumes or the sets or anything, but I'm really starting to just appreciate this for the excellent script.

My favourite scenes include the 'Little Banana' scene where Future Man bullies Dignan about his yellow jumpsuit and his old job mowing lawns for the 'Lawn Wranglers', and the early scene where Dignan is showing Anthony his life plan, all sketched out in a notebook with a felt tip pen in childish handwriting.

Haha. It's all excellent.

TheDom 05.04.2009 07:54 PM

Bottle Rocket is, in my opinion, his funniest movie.

gmku 05.04.2009 08:00 PM

Yellow jumpsuits. Talk about fashion forward!

Danny Himself 05.04.2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Bottle Rocket is, in my opinion, his funniest movie.

It could be! It's definitely one of Owen's best performances, too, and not just for the funny parts. I love Dignan's little speech when he's lying in the grass after the car's broken down, or when he's got hurt feelings after Future Man bullies him. Oh man, I love this film.

Danny Himself 05.04.2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Yellow jumpsuits. Talk about fashion forward!

Ha ha

gmku 05.04.2009 08:46 PM

It's true, though. Every Wes Anderson movie since Bottle Rocket has been a disappointment in comparison.

me. 05.05.2009 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Has anyone seen Tokyo?

if you mean this one, i have.

static-harmony 05.05.2009 05:17 AM

mil_pl 05.05.2009 06:07 AM

mil_pl 05.05.2009 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself

I seriously can't stop watching BOTTLE ROCKET! I don't even know why- I used to think it was Anderson's weakest film, and I didn't like the costumes or the sets or anything, but I'm really starting to just appreciate this for the excellent script.

My favourite scenes include the 'Little Banana' scene where Future Man bullies Dignan about his yellow jumpsuit and his old job mowing lawns for the 'Lawn Wranglers', and the early scene where Dignan is showing Anthony his life plan, all sketched out in a notebook with a felt tip pen in childish handwriting.

Haha. It's all excellent.

I know what you mean, love this movie too. owen wilson is such a good actor in his movies, and I like this sense of humour.

atsonicpark 05.05.2009 06:40 AM

I watched Bottle Rocket on ondemand because of the past few messages. It was pretty good. 6/10

Derek 05.05.2009 07:04 AM

Hellraiser - 6/10

gmku 05.05.2009 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me.
if you mean this one, i have.

Yes! How'd ya like it?

me. 05.05.2009 10:24 AM

It's ok, not mind blowing,the middle film was probably the least enjoyable, the only other Gondry film i've seen is 'Eternal Sunshine..',although i'd like to see the 'Science of Sleep'.Gondry's film was probably the best out of the three,and i enjoyed Bong Joon-Ho's segment about a hikikomori first steps outside,with Teruyuki Kagawa,who is in 'Tokyo Sonata' which is a film well worth tracking down..

http://www.tokyosonatamovie.com/media.html

Think i'm gonna give this one a rewatch!

afterthefact 05.05.2009 11:17 AM

LifeDistortion 05.05.2009 12:03 PM

"The Science of Sleep" is a good movie but wanted to love it and only liked it. It had a great trailer.

LifeDistortion 05.05.2009 12:04 PM

Thinking of seeing Zombie's "Halloween" to see how much he fucked it up.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.05.2009 01:15 PM

Not a movie, but currently watching:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Hellraiser - 6/10

Really? Only a 6?

atsonicpark 05.05.2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Thinking of seeing Zombie's "Halloween" to see how much he fucked it up.

0/10

I just re-watched Dog Star Man. 11/10.

nicfit 05.05.2009 03:32 PM

the bank job. kind of a letdown.

atsonicpark 05.05.2009 03:39 PM

Yeah, it's pretty boring isn't it? You figured Statham would say FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK and kill everyone. Instead it's one of the most boring heist films I've ever seen. Yawn.

nicfit 05.05.2009 03:51 PM

Yes. Not well written at all, even the "mood" is somehow wrong...I'm waiting for Crank 2 ha ha.

Better_Than_You 05.05.2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
"The Science of Sleep" is a good movie but wanted to love it and only liked it. It had a great trailer.

ah-greed.
------------------
i got through 20 minutes of inland empire before i fell asleep. its too slow to watch late at night.

is it worth the 2 1/2+ hours?? has anyone seen it??
i'm a david lynch fan, but not fanatically so.

Derek 05.05.2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

Really? Only a 6?

Wasn't really into it. I liked it though.

Derek 05.05.2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Better_Than_You

It's one of his more lesser works in my opinion.

atsonicpark 05.05.2009 05:07 PM

Yeah, definitely a lesser work. Nothing really happens in it. I've watched it 4 1/2 times... it definitely sticks with you. It's something you probably need to watch once. You'll always think about it... but... really, a good hour could have been cut from it... it's just a bit all over the place.

floatingslowly 05.05.2009 06:42 PM

netflix to xbox streams of the last two matrix movies since I've never bothered to watch anything past the first one.

LIEKS:
the machines didn't really lose.
I LIEK KUNGFU IS GUD.
more "real" world.
less "matrix" kungfu.
powersuited terminator marines. (and by terminator, I mean, WH40K).
I RLY LIEK THE VIRUS MR SMITH.

DISLIEKS:
girlgun doing the "ted air-guitar thing", in front of the TV, while I was trying to watch.
watching with my kid and having to explain every gawd damn thing (when I'm not sure even the writers knew WTF).
seeing that "ted air-guitar thing" everytime neo wanted to kungfu the agents.
all the fucking mr. smiths at the end; they would smile at each other and it made me want to kungfu.

davenotdead 05.05.2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Better_Than_You
i got through 20 minutes of inland empire before i fell asleep. its too slow to watch late at night.

its one of his best imo.

atsonicpark 05.05.2009 07:14 PM

The 3rd matrix film is probably the worst film I've ever seen. The 2nd one is bad except for the freeway scene.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.05.2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
The 3rd matrix film is probably the worst film I've ever seen. The 2nd one is bad except for the freeway scene.

I couldn't agree more.

davenotdead 05.05.2009 07:38 PM

agreed thirded

floatingslowly 05.05.2009 07:38 PM

^^^(x3) this is completely unexpected news!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.05.2009 07:40 PM

Inland Empire is too self-indulgent, even for Lynch. I still really liked it, but Lynch should've tightened things up a bit more in the editing room.

joe11121 05.05.2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

Haha. I've never seen any Matrix movie. They don't sound too good.

atsonicpark 05.05.2009 07:48 PM

Yeah, what bothers me is that there's nothing going on it. Most Lynch films have layers of dialogue, things happening in the background (literally and.. uh.. metaphorically I guess). Lynch shot with no script. There's been conflicting reports about this, but in 3 interviews he said he had no finished script, and many scenes were written on handkerchiefs or post-it notes the night before shooting. This shows, because it just never really adds up to much. It's an overly simple story, stretched out beyond belief. Some great performances, but it's missing all the things I love about Lynch. There's almost no humor, it's actually boring at times (a sad Lynch first), no Badalamenti... that scene with that Beck song playing is embarassing! Also, it looks like shit, the best scenes (the rabbits stuff) is reused from.. uh.. Rabbits. Lynch's films kept getting longer and longer when he was using film; with DV, he could be as indulgent as he wanted. He shot something like 60 hours for Inland Empire. Just ridiculous. Oh, there's a shaky camera at times, another Lynch first. The whole film is just a big ugly dinosaur.

There's lots to love about it though. GReat atmosphere, great stilted/awkward performances, and like I said.. it really sticks with ya.