Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

next step 03.10.2007 06:25 AM

nomadicfollower 03.10.2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
Its a bit of a local issue. Our city finds it more important to fund things like pedestrian bridges over rivers, to the middle of nowhere, or building new and improved sporting arenas (which does serve a role in the city, I realize) rather than paying library workers, or buying new books for inner city libraries. Its upsetting.

It's exactly the same here in Alabama. A proposal was made about a month ago for a new library to be built in an empty Kroger building, but this isn't going to happen. The city's money is going to increase the size of the Sportsplex. Which isn't at all necessary.

Katy 03.11.2007 03:23 AM

"New Habits: Today's Women Who Chose To Become Nuns" by Isabel Losada

demonrail666 03.11.2007 09:32 AM

I'm reading Greil Marcus' Mystery Train for the millionth time.

Hip Priest 03.11.2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katy
"New Habits: Today's Women Who Chose To Become Nuns" by Isabel Losada

That's a decent book.

On a related note, I'm reading Carla Ricci's Mary Magdalene and Many Others: Women Who Followed Jesus (1991).

Katy 03.13.2007 02:04 AM

"Haunted Weather: Music, Silence, and Memory" by David Toop

Cantankerous 03.13.2007 02:11 AM

for probably the 8th time. i just go about reading bits and pieces since it's not really in a novel/linear format.

gmku 03.13.2007 02:13 AM

Holy crap, what edition is that! I've never seen that cover, and it's called "The Naked Lunch" not "Naked Lunch."

One of my favorites, it gets funnier each read.

Cantankerous 03.13.2007 02:16 AM

i don't know, i googled it looking for the cover. the one i have is a really obnoxious bright yellow.

it is pretty hilarious.
dig the signature by the way. love that album. one of the best parts of Fear and Loathing in las vegas is when they're playing the album in the vegas airport and hunter thompson is describing it...the part where mick goes "i think i busted a button on my trousers, hope they don't fall down. you don't want my trousers to fall down, now, do ya?"...you'd have to read it, unless i can dig up the paragraph.

gmku 03.13.2007 02:22 AM

Ah, yeah, I've got the yellow edition, too. It's so people three blocks away can see you're reading the dirty book with all the male homosexual graphic passages and shit about drugs.

I don't remember that in Fear and Loathing but it's been a long time since I picked that up. I'll have to check it out. I'm currently obsessed with the Gimme Shelter movie, too, but I can't stand the Altamont footage anymore. But the stuff from the American tour before that and the Mussell Shoals scenes are priceless.

Cantankerous 03.13.2007 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Ah, yeah, I've got the yellow edition, too. It's so people three blocks away can see you're reading the dirty book with all the male homosexual graphic passages and shit about drugs.

I don't remember that in Fear and Loathing but it's been a long time since I picked that up. I'll have to check it out. I'm currently obsessed with the Gimme Shelter movie, too, but I can't stand the Altamont footage anymore. But the stuff from the American tour before that and the Mussell Shoals scenes are priceless.

well, FUCK ME! HAH!
i love how keith tunes his guitar AFTER he's done playing prodigal son. and if you ask me he jacked that top with the sparkles he had on at altamont and at madison square garden from anita.

gmku 03.13.2007 02:32 AM

Yeah, that is a pretty bizarre top. I love the shirt he wears in the studio, too. And I lust after that see-through guitar, whatever the hell it is. A gibson of some kind.

Cantankerous 03.13.2007 02:34 AM

the marilyn shirt?
the snakeskin boots are killer.

gtr made by dan armstrong/ampeg. they're very heavy.

gmku 03.13.2007 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
the marilyn shirt?
the snakeskin boots are killer.

gtr made by dan armstrong/ampeg. they're very heavy.

Love the boots. Totally Keith. The Marilyn shirt's good, but I was thinking more the pastel flowery one he wears before that in the scene wear he pulls the Cousin Minnie coupon out of the pocket.

Cantankerous 03.13.2007 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Love the boots. Totally Keith. The Marilyn shirt's good, but I was thinking more the pastel flowery one he wears before that in the scene wear he pulls the Cousin Minnie coupon out of the pocket.

i have an entire collection of those sort of shirts. you can usually find them at thrift stores for about $3 apiece or at vintage stores for a little more.

gmku 03.13.2007 02:45 AM

Nice look on Keef, but I don't think I could pull it off...

something 03.13.2007 03:44 PM

right now im reading celine's journey to the end of the night kinda been on a french kick that started with nausea

nomadicfollower 03.13.2007 04:05 PM

Can someone recommend a book on the origin and/or the evolution of language?

!@#$%! 03.13.2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
Can someone recommend a book on the origin and/or the evolution of language?

anything by steven pinker should do

---

edit: i just saw his stuff:

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/books/tli/index.html

i'd stick to "the language instinct", though that is not a book on evolution per se.

however, th book's got a schweet bibliography that should feed you for years to come

nomadicfollower 03.13.2007 06:53 PM

Looks interesting. Thanks.

His book The Blank Slate seems good, as well. Have you read it?
However, I shouldn't be too quick to buy two books by the same author without having read anything else by him.

Sonic Youth 37 03.13.2007 06:55 PM

Catcher In the Rye-half finished

drrrtyboots 03.13.2007 08:57 PM

coincidentally, im reading Naked Lunch as well for the third time. But i'm hoping to pick up Desolation Angels as soon as I can find it.

Bunbury 03.13.2007 09:02 PM

Death Kit- Susan Sontag
Strangeland- Tracy Emin
Hey Nostradamus- Douglas Coupland

Katy 03.13.2007 11:13 PM

Quote:

Looks interesting. Thanks.

His book The Blank Slate seems good, as well. Have you read it?

I've got that one. Yeah, it's quite good. Argumentative though. Might make you angry in parts. (That nature vs. nurture, one or the other debate always does.)

I'd say read a bit of Chomsky first (especially if you're interested in language/linguistics.) Pinker's very much one of Noam's disciples.

!@#$%! 03.13.2007 11:17 PM

i cant read much lately. ive been overworking and i stop here & burn stress & all i read are mostly crap posts-- there are of course wonderful, honorable exceptions, and you know who you are.

something 03.13.2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
coincidentally, im reading Naked Lunch as well for the third time. But i'm hoping to pick up Desolation Angels as soon as I can find it.

naked lunch is so insane you should watch the movie it has nothing to do with the book or very little i should say but more so with burroughs and durgs as well as ginsberg

gmku 03.14.2007 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by something
naked lunch is so insane you should watch the movie it has nothing to do with the book or very little i should say but more so with burroughs and durgs as well as ginsberg

The movie's a fascinating interpretation of the book, really.

nomadicfollower 03.14.2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katy
I've got that one. Yeah, it's quite good. Argumentative though. Might make you angry in parts. (That nature vs. nurture, one or the other debate always does.)

I'd say read a bit of Chomsky first (especially if you're interested in language/linguistics.) Pinker's very much one of Noam's disciples.

Maybe. However, from the reviews I read it appeared that Pinker should be read before Chomsky. Ever since I read Hegemony or Survival, I've been meaning to pick up something else by Chomsky, perhaps his linguistic works - considering I have trouble finding much interest in politics - but, obviously, I haven't. Hopefully soon.

Katy 03.15.2007 12:07 PM

"Luminous Emptiness: Understanding the Tibetan Book of the Dead" by Francesca Fremantle

!@#$%! 03.15.2007 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
the fuck up.

ive already read it once a hile back, good book though. think i might start on it again.

sorta reads like a more modern day "catcher in the rye", even though it takes place in the early 80s.

oh that book is fucking funny

i was about to recommend it to someone here

!@#$%! 03.15.2007 12:16 PM

Quote:

Maybe. However, from the reviews I read it appeared that Pinker should be read before Chomsky. Ever since I read Hegemony or Survival, I've been meaning to pick up something else by Chomsky, perhaps his linguistic works - considering I have trouble finding much interest in politics - but, obviously, I haven't. Hopefully soon.

pinker is definitely more accessible, chomsky is highly abstract-- besides, there's been a lot of fresh evidence coming from the neuroscience of language side of things since chomsky wrote his language stuff. so there are new lots of new things.

something 03.15.2007 05:17 PM

another good read is irvine welsh's bedroom secrets of master chefs its pretty insane like a fucked up british twilight zone meets the food channel

drrrtyboots 03.15.2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by something

I actually saw the movie about a year ago and thought it was great, deffinitely not much in common with the book but a bit of insight into Burroghs life with plenty of fiction of course.

Toilet & Bowels 03.15.2007 07:39 PM

the psychic soviet - i. f. svenonius

!@#$%! 03.15.2007 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
the psychic soviet - i. f. svenonius

how's that? the little bastard was my neighbor-- we used to run into each other in the elevator

--
actually not a bastard at all-- really nice guy

Toilet & Bowels 03.16.2007 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
how's that?

very very funny.

have you seen this? he's got an internet tv show
http://www.vbs.tv/shows/index.php?show=Soft%20Focus

the book is a bit like the bits were ian svenonius asks iain mackaye those high falutin' questions

Pookie 03.16.2007 07:24 AM

schizophrenicroom 03.16.2007 07:54 AM

an old teacher of mine lent me "going after cacciato" and so far it's ok.

Pookie 03.16.2007 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
an old teacher of mine lent me "going after cacciato" and so far it's ok.

Never read this, but I loved The Things They Carried. A really unusual book, and he's such a good, naturally gifted writer.

loopheadtapenoise 03.16.2007 08:48 AM

Leo the African Amin Malouf - i love his writing
Imperial City Geoffery Moorhouse - a history of NY, fucking monster