Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   post comething completely irrelevant! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6857)

MellySingsDoom 08.14.2008 01:39 AM

Ah, I love Brakhage's work - he was a genius. RIP Brakhage-man.

atsonicpark 08.14.2008 01:41 AM

Yes, without a shadow of a doubt in my mind as well, a true genius.

Mostly Harmless 08.14.2008 01:59 AM

I'm Going To Bed! Yes!

acousticrock87 08.14.2008 02:02 AM

I wanted to post a tribute to Guinness, but I didn't want to interupt the Brakhage admiration so I made a dual-tribute.

atsonicpark 08.14.2008 02:06 AM

haha nice.

MellySingsDoom 08.14.2008 03:13 AM

Yeah, good one acousticrock87.

pbradley 08.14.2008 03:19 AM

Sometimes I want to right fiction/nonfiction on SYG. Like last night I wanted to describe a dumb chick's observation of my room and my observation of her, today I wanted to describe my full sensory memory of visiting my grandparents' graves. But how irrelevant is that?

atsonicpark 08.14.2008 03:30 AM

acousticrock87 08.14.2008 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
you should do whatever you feel like..
about the specific issues, if you dont feel like posting, why not writing them down on piece of paper..sorry, or pc.

I second that advice.

pbradley 08.14.2008 03:52 AM

Revealing one's psyche is a dangerous affair. And I delete/throw away personal poems and prose. I already know them by heart and head, committing them to surface only chills them before I rediscover them.

Eat the coal, swallow it down. A brighter smile, a sadder frown.

acousticrock87 08.14.2008 03:53 AM

I'm not very superstitious, but I bought some Tibetan skull beads in a little shop in Auckland, just cause they were overpriced and looked badass, seem to be made out of real bone, etc.

Anyway, I swear that every time I wear them I have bad luck. And that just makes me want to wear them more to prove myself wrong, but every time I take them anywhere it turns out terribly.

These are the fuckers.

Their eyes make me feel cold.

pbradley 08.14.2008 03:54 AM

The curse is both bad luck and unbelief! A circle of beads, a circle deceives.

(see, I drink a bit and start rhyming)

acousticrock87 08.14.2008 03:57 AM

Maybe it is cursed with disbelief...What a terrible curse. That's one sadistic Tibetan monk.

EDIT: Well fuck.

A Japa mala or mala (Sanskrit:माला; mālā, meaning garland[1]) is a set of beads commonly used by Hindus and Buddhists, usually made from 108 beads, though any number divisible by 9 is acceptable.

This thing only has 17 beads. Motherfucker.

nicfit 08.14.2008 04:20 AM

acousticrock87 08.14.2008 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
4. check my friends fingers' length, when i see them.

Ahaha. It's decided. You get the person-of-the-day award.

And it's only 3am.

acousticrock87 08.14.2008 05:12 AM

4 lately since I don't have a job this summer. When school starts I'll be back on schedule.

I really need to get to sleep, though. I'm leaving for the airport in the morning.

acousticrock87 08.14.2008 05:28 AM

Yeah, family vacation in New York for a week.

Thanks! Have a good last four hours of work, and sweet dreams at some point tonight. :)

Okay, bed time.

gmku 08.14.2008 07:40 PM

This clerk in a clothing store today told me that I don't sound "American."

Ha ha. What the fuck, I'm thinking. So I say that I'm from the Midwest originally (true) but that I'm rather international (true, I was in the Air Force and lived in Germany), and that I spent many years in the U.K. (totally false).

Sonic Youth 37 08.14.2008 07:46 PM

I've had the same thing said to me. (not around here though)

schizophrenicroom 08.14.2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
4 lately since I don't have a job this summer. When school starts I'll be back on schedule.

I really need to get to sleep, though. I'm leaving for the airport in the morning.

hey, have fun!

i get that i a) have a southern accent and b)don't "sound like a southern gurrl" (a woman at clinique in utah prounounced it that way) and both irritate me. i think i'm just never going to say where i'm from from now on.

Sonic Youth 37 08.14.2008 07:57 PM

I'm so thankful that learning French taught me pure vowel sounds and now I can't speak without them. I'm 1% away from losing all trace of an accent and it's great. I've had people argue with me in my own state that I'm not originally from there.
Them: "Yu don't sownd like yur from around here..."
Me: "I am"
Them: "No yur not. You'se from up North sumeres"

schizophrenicroom 08.14.2008 08:02 PM

florida's weird because there exists patches of accented and non-accented.. i fit in nicely for the most part, but out of state is weird when i say i'm from florida and i think some people don't know what to expect.

Sonic Youth 37 08.14.2008 08:04 PM

I won't say where I'm from because people just laugh and look at me like they are surprised that I'm wearing shoes and not overalls.

schizophrenicroom 08.14.2008 08:08 PM

i forget it's so annoying to mention that i stayed in utah to people not too familiar with the place because they'll ask if i have six moms or if i saw any polygamists. i mean, i did, but christ.. yeah.

gmku 08.14.2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
I'm so thankful that learning French taught me pure vowel sounds and now I can't speak without them. I'm 1% away from losing all trace of an accent and it's great. I've had people argue with me in my own state that I'm not originally from there.
Them: "Yu don't sownd like yur from around here..."
Me: "I am"
Them: "No yur not. You'se from up North sumeres"

Ha ha. Yeah, it's probably because I say "just" instead of "jest" and "I" instead of "Ah."

I can slip and get lazy in my speech among friends, but out in public I tend to be concious of the rules about round vowels and such I learned from my high school drama teachers.

Sonic Youth 37 08.14.2008 08:10 PM

Dumbshits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Ha ha. Yeah, it's probably because I say "just" instead of "jest" and "I" instead of "Ah."

I can slip and get lazy in my speech among friends, but out in public I tend to be concious of the rules about round vowels and such I learned from my high school drama teachers.

The flack I get because my "ten" doesn't sound like "tin" or "pen" and "pin"...gah.

gmku 08.14.2008 08:14 PM

Man, Sonic Youth, you and I.... We should have met up for coffee or something, man. We seem to be kindred battered spirits in this wasteland.

Anyway, good luck with your future beyond South Carolina. With any luck, I'll be out of here, too, someday. Let me know what life is like on the outside.

I always have to laugh when I hear about how much South Carolina is supposed to grow in population over the next decades. Unbelievable. Where are these people coming from, but better yet, WHY? And how soon will the population growth turn into a mass exodus AWAY from this godforsaken place?

Everyneurotic 08.14.2008 08:16 PM

fuck the rain, fuck it!

Sonic Youth 37 08.14.2008 08:16 PM

Haha, I don't get it as much in SC as I did elsewhere. Mainly because I've limited my communication in SC with the locals to absolute minimum, mostly murmurs and grumbles.

Quote:

Man, Sonic Youth, you and I.... We should have met up for coffee or something, man. We seem to be kindred battered spirits in this wasteland.

Anyway, good luck with your future beyond South Carolina. With any luck, I'll be out of here, too, someday. Let me know what life is like on the outside.

I always have to laugh when I hear about how much South Carolina is supposed to grow in population over the next decades. Unbelievable. Where are these people coming from, but better yet, WHY? And how soon will the population growth turn into a mass exodus AWAY from this godforsaken place?

We seem to be the only two that are escaping. I don't understand it either. It's too damn hot, the people suck, the roads suck, there's no sports teams, there's no music scene to be had. I fucking hate Myrtle Beach. Seriously, near me within about a 10 mile radius there must be 25-40 new multi-hundred home subdivision that are 99% vacant. There are probably 1,000 empty houses and lots for 3,000+ more within that area. I don't get it.

gmku 08.14.2008 08:23 PM

Yeah. One morning I was in a weird mood when I walked out on the back porch with my morning coffee. I was speaking to my wife in a parody of the SC dialect, and made a comment like, "It's a fahn mornin to be a rrredneckk in Sahth Carolahna..." and then noticed that my next door neighbor (a redneck if ever there was one) was in his backyard. I'm sure he heard me too. And then my wife and I started laughing so hard that we cried.

Sonic Youth 37 08.14.2008 08:29 PM

I was standing in line at a customer service counter today trying to return something and this guy was in front of me trying to fill out a money order form and he was trying to tell me that it was going to take him a while and that I could go in front of him. I seriously didn't understand/comprehend a word other than "you". I'm not even sure it was English.

schizophrenicroom 08.14.2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

the only time i sound remotely southern is when i say things like my friend molly's name (like "mawlh") or "hell yeah". otherwise, spanish helps keep me crisp.

Everyneurotic 08.14.2008 08:32 PM

i went to a deli today, all the employees were latinos, they were serving a group from spain and a porto-rican before me, talking to them in spanish and all, and i talked to them in english.

gmku 08.14.2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
I was standing in line at a customer service counter today trying to return something and this guy was in front of me trying to fill out a money order form and he was trying to tell me that it was going to take him a while and that I could go in front of him. I seriously didn't understand/comprehend a word other than "you". I'm not even sure it was English.

Been there, man, many times. And they make YOU feel like the dumb ass. And you just wanna go, Get the fucking marbles out of your mouth, dumb hick. At least I know I do.

schizophrenicroom 08.14.2008 08:34 PM

i definitely do.

Sonic Youth 37 08.14.2008 08:35 PM

Haha, marbles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixyTNd-Ln38

I sing the "Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel" song to myself whenever I have to stand in a line here. Keeps me from making a scene.

schizophrenicroom 08.14.2008 08:38 PM

that song was a big hit last year between us drumline people, from we had a game in jacksonville, and while i was unloading the mallet/drum trailer, this guy came up and asked "y'all from south caraliiina?" because we have "SC" on our jackets. oh man.

Everyneurotic 08.14.2008 08:39 PM

white trash are awesome.

Sonic Youth 37 08.14.2008 08:40 PM

Cletus is what I call every nameless redneck, regardless of gender.

I'm pissed that my car now has a SC license plate. They won't be able to find the body of the first person that asks me if I'm from South Carolina.

schizophrenicroom 08.14.2008 08:41 PM

every-e- you'd love daytona.

josh- haha, i'm glad i don't own a car. other than my id, no evidence whatsoever of my sunshine state upbringing.