Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

atsonicpark 05.22.2009 03:14 PM

Yeah, I love Bloodsucking Freaks. 10/10. One of the few vhs's I ever WORE OUT. It just simply didn't play anymore because I watched that thing a thousand times. A new Tromasterpiece Collection special edition dvd is coming soon, I'll have to buy my 3rd copy.

Rob Instigator 05.22.2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Battle for Haditha 7/10 The hard truth.
Taken 7/10 Quite suspenseful.

and the new Star Trek last night. 8/10
Very entertaining to see how the original characters fall into place.
Best Trekkie movie so far. Full of anamorphic flares and excellent CGI.
Well paced.

don't be fuckin with WRATH OF KHAN junior.

Rob Instigator 05.22.2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrome noise tape

what you think chrome nopise tape?

fugazifan 05.22.2009 04:13 PM

it was really good.great criticism and great colors, if not a bit too melodramatic, but in a good way.

i watched it cause fassbinder says that its like his favorite movie or something.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.23.2009 06:13 PM

Disappointing,

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.24.2009 03:01 AM

zack + miri

:)

!@#$%! 05.24.2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
In the Mood for Love rules. I'd give it an 8/10. Wong Kar Wai is amazing.

YES.

but his actresses are better. maggie cheung = WOW!!!!!

i still have to see "my blueberry nights". it's his first (as far as i know) american production, with american actors.

but fuck yeah in the mood for love is fucking great literature, on film.

me. 05.24.2009 06:33 AM

atsonicpark 05.24.2009 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
YES.

but his actresses are better. maggie cheung = WOW!!!!!

i still have to see "my blueberry nights". it's his first (as far as i know) american production, with american actors.

but fuck yeah in the mood for love is fucking great literature, on film.

Prepare to be disappointed. My Blueberry Nights isn't that great.

Maggie Cheung gives me the fucking bone. She looks so beautiful in that movie, all those dresses...

phoenix 05.24.2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrome noise tape

this

me. 05.24.2009 08:28 AM

Throw away your books,go out into the streets!.

with a Tokyo Kid Brothers sountrack too!.

Mrs. Butcher 05.24.2009 11:33 AM

S. Darko.

I kinda liked Donnie Darko when it was released but the only good thing about this was the girls.

Mrs. Butcher 05.24.2009 11:35 AM

oh yeah, and it made me listen to that cocteau twins album again.

pokkeherrie 05.24.2009 02:14 PM

Transformers.

I didn't bother checking it out when it came out, because I was pretty sure it was going to suck. Now two years later I finally saw it and I was surprised to see that it has really fuck all to do with the the Transformers I remember from my youth. The robots look like piles of scrap, Bumblebee is a Camaro now and Megatron is... what? On top of that, it is cheesy as fuck.

nicfit 05.24.2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Butcher
S. Darko.

I kinda liked Donnie Darko when it was released but the only good thing about this was the girls.

I have this one ahem...ready to be seen. I have the feeling it might just be a pile of crap, but if the soundtrack is good and the girls are nice I could watch it without feeling the need to shut it off.

LifeDistortion 05.24.2009 03:59 PM

Does "S. Darko" have the same Christian undertones that the first one had? Just curious.

demonrail666 05.24.2009 04:07 PM

I didn't even know the first one had any christian undertones.

atsonicpark 05.24.2009 05:08 PM

I didn't know the first one made enough money for their to be a sequel made.

Derek 05.24.2009 05:12 PM

The first one is massive! Nearly everyone I know has seen it and loved it...

atsonicpark 05.24.2009 05:15 PM

To me, Donnie Darko is a bad movie. Never saw the appeal. I watched it about a year after it first came out when some chick I was dating was like "oh my god you have to see this!" and I was like "Meh." Watched it a few times in the years since and just don't really care for it.

Better_Than_You 05.24.2009 05:23 PM

i thought donnie darko was fine. infact, i'll go above and beyond and say 'great'.
s. darko isn't worth my sweet time. its not even by the same director, and, besides, samantha was supposedly adopted or something like that in the first one.. so it wouldn't really make sense that her and donnie would share the same 'illness' (whatever the fuck that was.)

atsonicpark 05.24.2009 05:27 PM

Illness. Huh. I thought Donnie was just some placebo-pill-popping unlikeable psychopath with a cool skeleton shirt.

No Maggie Gylenhaal, no reason to watch.

Derek 05.24.2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

To me, Donnie Darko is a bad movie. Never saw the appeal. I watched it about a year after it first came out when some chick I was dating was like "oh my god you have to see this!" and I was like "Meh." Watched it a few times in the years since and just don't really care for it.

Yeah, I thought it tried to be 'deep' when really there wasn't much to it. And obviously teenagers would buy into it...

atsonicpark 05.24.2009 05:31 PM

I just call it "a surreal, mind-bending film for people who have yet to watch something genuinely surreal and mind-bending". There's nothing wrong with liking it, I'm not trying to dismiss anyone's opinion here; I can see some good qualities in it. Rather, I can see how it would appeal to other people . But certainly anyone that argues it's "deep" is out of their mind. I know a dude who was obsessed with it, who read books on time traveling and shit just to get to know the movie better. I guess in a way, that's pretty cool. A movie getting a guy to read more is a cool thing. I respect Donnie Darko as an idea, I just have issues with it as a movie. I hated all the characters, the ending was laughable (the "Mad World" scene is so cheesy). Just kind of a silly film. Again, no disrespect to anyone who likes it or anything. I just personally do not...

chrome noise tape 05.24.2009 05:34 PM

atsonicpark 05.24.2009 05:36 PM

YES! UN CHIEN ANDALOU kicks ass.

Bunuel rules in general. L'Age d'or is one of my all time favorite films.

me. 05.24.2009 11:27 PM

Helpless

and then..

GeneticKiss 05.25.2009 03:18 AM

Quote:

I just call it "a surreal, mind-bending film for people who have yet to watch something genuinely surreal and mind-bending". There's nothing wrong with liking it, I'm not trying to dismiss anyone's opinion here; I can see some good qualities in it. Rather, I can see how it would appeal to other people . But certainly anyone that argues it's "deep" is out of their mind. I know a dude who was obsessed with it, who read books on time traveling and shit just to get to know the movie better. I guess in a way, that's pretty cool. A movie getting a guy to read more is a cool thing. I respect Donnie Darko as an idea, I just have issues with it as a movie. I hated all the characters, the ending was laughable (the "Mad World" scene is so cheesy). Just kind of a silly film. Again, no disrespect to anyone who likes it or anything. I just personally do not...

Well, I loved how they kept counting down between acts without actually saying what they were counting down to. It's also interesting that for a relatively dark story, it's got alot of lighter moments in it-but argueably it would've been completely inpalatable without them...it's guess it's sort of like Nine Inch Nails; if not for Trent Reznor's adolescent ranting, his music wouldn't touch as many fans because it would be too harsh to listen to for a lot of people. It's kind of the point that you don't like the characters; the idea is that everyone's an idiot except Donnie and possibly Gretchen.

One thing that did bother me is that the ending is kinda a paradox because the engine fell on Donnie's room because it was ripped off by the gravitational force of the time portal above Donnie's house. The reason why the hole was created is because Frank's ghost disrupted the space-time continuium (sp?) by leading Donnie out of his home when he was supposed to have been killed...

I don't know; it made me think, it made a lot of people think...and any movie that can do that is a winner in my opinion.

Sonic Youth 37 05.25.2009 07:33 AM

Reason why S. Darko was made:

The kids that love Donnie Darko and aren't too elitist to see it will make it a semi-success.

atsonicpark 05.25.2009 07:35 AM

I just don't think calling your film "S." anything is a good idea.

"What, did they forget the H-I-T?"

The Lung 05.25.2009 08:20 AM

Repulsion

I watched this on my own when I was pretty baked and i thought it was brilliant. I've always wanted to see a film like this where paranoia and isolation leads to insanity.

Derek 05.25.2009 09:37 AM

Taxi Driver has paranoia and isolation leading to insanity!

The Lung 05.25.2009 10:01 AM

haha yeh so does the shining and a few other films but the way this film did it was really simple and effective. Watch it!

EDIT: I guess the shining had other factors too but you get what i mean.

noisereductions 05.25.2009 11:20 AM

1. Notorious - I liked it a lot.
2. Laid To Rest - was shit so I shut it off.
3. Humanoids From The Deep - is a classic, so I watch it when it gets hot.

noisereductions 05.25.2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

For some reason I love it. Always have.

EVOLghost 05.25.2009 04:49 PM

Funny Games...that was a coo movie..

viewtiful_alan 05.25.2009 05:39 PM

For like the 5th time:

8/10

chrome noise tape 05.25.2009 06:21 PM

noisereductions 05.25.2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Funny Games...that was a coo movie..

which one. I (surprisingly) liked the American 'remake' better.

EVOLghost 05.25.2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
which one. I (surprisingly) liked the American 'remake' better.

Yeah I watched the American remake.