Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

dead_battery 12.01.2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony
Just went through some notes I took while reading books and thought I'd share some lines I really liked from "I love Dick" by Chris Kraus

"You shrunk and bottled in a glass jar, you're a portable saint. Knowing you is like knowing Jesus. There are billions of us and only one of you so I don't expect much from you personally. There are no answers to my life. But I'm touched by you and fulfilled just by believing."

i wonder if she was talking about sylvere... lol

pony 12.01.2013 06:01 PM

is this a serious question?

she is talking to and about Dick Hebdig

Also, it was kinda embarrassing how long it too me until i realized that Sylvère = Sylvère. Took me until she (C.K.) mentioned the book with a message from Kathy Acker she found in his bedroom.

/edit:
Tomorrow I'll finally start reading "preliminary materials for a theory of the young-girl", could be helpful for one of my classes and the finding of a topic for my paper

I saw someone at University keeping a fancy book journal from moleskin and thought I'd start something like that too.
He had one from moleskine and the pages look like this:

I probably won't get one of those, but just buy cheap plain notebooks and use them. Don't think there's enough space per book in that moleskin journal... but it's a nice idea!

Rob Instigator 12.03.2013 10:30 AM

Almost finished with Dick Gregory's book, and starting on this one. A professor from Univ of Minnesota wrote this dissertation, exhaustive, about how the official Zapruder film we have all seen a million times is a fabrication. CREEPY

ilduclo 12.03.2013 11:06 AM

poor little moles

I just started this

pony 12.03.2013 08:51 PM

i am the young-girl
help!!!

pony 12.10.2013 06:29 AM

has anyone read "only revolutions" by mark z danielewski?
people told me i could turn it every 8 pages and read the other side or just read one side as a whole and then the other but i want to HAVE THE BEST READING EXPERIENCE POSSIBLE FOR THAT BOOK, so... anyone?

!@#$%! 12.10.2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

i am the young-girl
help!!!

ha ha ha-- yes

but maybe help someone instead?

tesla69 12.10.2013 09:20 AM

Purgatory - Ken Bruen. Jack Taylor is still a mess, but not as bad as everyone seems to think IMO. everyone around him does seem to die, however.

Rob Instigator 12.10.2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

has anyone read "only revolutions" by mark z danielewski?
people told me i could turn it every 8 pages and read the other side or just read one side as a whole and then the other but i want to HAVE THE BEST READING EXPERIENCE POSSIBLE FOR THAT BOOK, so... anyone?

I have not. I read House of Leaves years ago. need to check out that only revolutions one...

pony 12.16.2013 03:24 PM

got a friend of mine house of leaves as a christmas present and hoping to get a book club started 8)

I think I might just get all book of the "native agents" section from semiotext(e), i really enjoyed the books by chris kraus i read so far and from what i heard the suiciders by travis jeppesen is very good as well.

today, i ordered three books, one about the cinema of transgression (i feel like sylvere lotringer is following me, he comes up several times every week in one way or another), torpor by chris kraus and green girl by kate zambreno. can't wait for those books to arrive.

and I am thinking about getting anti-oedipus by Deleuze and Guattari but I am not suuuuureeeeeeee

floatingslowly 12.17.2013 12:18 AM

pony 12.17.2013 03:34 AM

EVOLghost 12.17.2013 09:49 AM

The book I am reading now after 'after the quake' is.....'the wind up bird chronicle'....another murakami book.

stu666 12.17.2013 02:47 PM

EVOLghost 12.17.2013 04:44 PM

Oh shit yeah. Teh first chapter of oyasumi punpun(manga) is translated. Time to read it and be sad.

pony 12.17.2013 09:02 PM

and i am still not through with acker's don quixote... the last third is so exhausting

Rob Instigator 12.19.2013 12:33 PM

I finished the Zapruder book. Now I am starting on this one.

Mind and Cosmos - Thomas Nagel

Getting into the deep thoughts over the winter break.

GravitySlips 12.19.2013 01:06 PM

PKD -Valis

It's off to a weird start. 60 pages in.

Rob Instigator 12.19.2013 01:32 PM

Valis is good stuff. weird throughout.

pony 01.01.2014 09:04 PM

I am currently reading Green Girl by Kate Zambreno which kind of reminds me of preliminary materials for a theory of the young-girl. style and content wise. it is a bit annoying to read (or maybe i am just lazy rn..)

next books on the stack (well, soon to be on the stack, ordered them today):
Rachel Kushner's The Flamethrowers and Rosie Schaap's Drinking With Men