Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40798)

_tunic_ 12.08.2020 01:01 PM

I want a disclaimer on Fargo that says that the disclaimer is inaccurate :D

h8kurdt 12.08.2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
I want a disclaimer on Fargo that says that the disclaimer is inaccurate :D

Ha! "The story to be told is true and by true I mean...false. it's all lies. But they're entertaining lies"

Rob Instigator 12.09.2020 10:39 AM

the disclaimer on Fargo TV is like the one in the movie.

Severian 12.09.2020 12:01 PM

The Fargo disclaimer is essential and should never be touched.

!@#$%! 12.09.2020 12:25 PM

on a different subject, been rewatching buffy on prime video during work breaks.

season 2 dialogue really picks up steam, and xander's lines get funnier. the whole series starts to get better. also, spike arrives. 90s tv for the ages.

demonrail666 12.09.2020 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I saw a disclaimer before the first big Diana-centric episode (I’ve been sick, so I’ve been going through the seasons really quickly, since the week before Thanksgiving) but it was about depictions of eating disorders.

That’s the only disclaimer I’ve seen.
But I’m curious ... Are we talking dramatic creative license for effect or historical inaccuracy? Are there disclaimers before every episode saying, “Trigger warning: Some of this dialogue might have been written by writers!” or some such thing?

I guess my answer depends on the extent to which the show deviates from the actual events.

But, like, we here in the US could easily get our balls in a twist if someone incorrectly depicted JFK or Roosevelt or … uh… Kurt Cobain, I guess. So it’s not really that surprising, to be honest, but I’m curious now.

The writers are definitely playing fast and loose with the truth. Fine if people are watching it purely as a soap opera but it is being promoted sa slightly more than just that; dealing with real people and real (and often significant) events. So while I'm generally fine with artistic license, the writers do probably have at least some obligation not to misrepresent certain key events as blatantly as they have, especially when a large section of its audience, particularly overseas, won't have any idea what's been distorted or how.

Severian 12.10.2020 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
The writers are definitely playing fast and loose with the truth. Fine if people are watching it purely as a soap opera but it is being promoted sa slightly more than just that; dealing with real people and real (and often significant) events. So while I'm generally fine with artistic license, the writers do probably have at least some obligation not to misrepresent certain key events as blatantly as they have, especially when a large section of its audience, particularly overseas, won't have any idea what's been distorted or how.

Yeah, I frankly couldn’t tell you what’s been distorted in terms of historical events.
I haven’t noticed any clashes with my own knowledge regarding the events themselves, and what the fuck do I know about what Queen Elizabeth said or did about x/y/z? Nothing, that’s what.

Anyway. Now I’m curious. What’s been distorted?

demonrail666 12.10.2020 11:46 AM

The bits that seem to have caused the biggest controversy involve interactions between the Queen and Thatcher relating to the Falklands war which people who were involved are saying completely misrepresented their relationship and what was discussed. The relationship between the Queen and Thatcher is actually one of the more intiguing and complex stories of her reign so it's a shame they didn't just let it tell itself, rather than try and manipulate it into something that might've made for 'better tv' but was actually less interesting.

Severian 12.11.2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
The bits that seem to have caused the biggest controversy involve interactions between the Queen and Thatcher relating to the Falklands war which people who were involved are saying completely misrepresented their relationship and what was discussed. The relationship between the Queen and Thatcher is actually one of the more intiguing and complex stories of her reign so it's a shame they didn't just let it tell itself, rather than try and manipulate it into something that might've made for 'better tv' but was actually less interesting.

Interesting. I’m pretty ignorant about the ol’ House of Windsor.

tw2113 01.03.2021 08:54 PM

The one season of the satire Braindead

!@#$%! 01.03.2021 09:18 PM

finally a kirsten dunst character i like

on a hilarious sendup of the hell that is multilevel marketing

and then there's the always great don cheadle as a corporate raider on "black monday"

showtime was on sale on amazon last month obviously :D

Severian 01.03.2021 09:43 PM

I watched the Flight Attendant on HBO Mac, and it’s infuriatingly dumb but just entertaining enough to keep… watching. Ugh.

Also Your Honor on Showtime. Bryan Cranston joint. Decent.

Oh, and the final season of Shameless. First fictional TV show I’ve seen to integrate the pandemic into the story. I’ll be that helped them with filming, since everyone’s wearing masks all the time. Smart.
Good show, that.

Also during the holiday i rewatched some of John Adams on HBO with the fam. Good stuff. And Justin Theroux (my main guy from The Leftovers!!!) is in it. Funny, I barely recognized him because he was so young looking, but he plays John Hancock.

!@#$%! 01.15.2021 10:03 PM

finished the final season of "vikings" which was recently posted on amazon. was a bit much/a bit rushed and i don't care so much about the late characters (the early ones were better) but ok.

lagertha was hot. looks better here without dreadlocks:

lol anyway now just started the final season of mr robot

_tunic_ 01.16.2021 05:42 AM

I started watching Siren on HBO yesterday. So far, after 4 episodes, it's a bit lame. Not the best acting kind of like a soap opera, but on imdb the ratings are getting better as the series progresses, so I'll get to watch the rest anyway.
We only have 2 seasons though, the third season hasn't arrived here (yet?)

!@#$%! 01.17.2021 04:17 PM

the final season of mr robot was fucking great.

i was afraid it would jump the shark and deliver me some predictable shit, but it avoided those traps masterfully.

i might watch the whole thing from the start all over again one of these days.

Skuj 01.17.2021 04:30 PM

Now don't laugh, but Murder, She Wrote. It is harmless fun, and my 12 year old likes it.

Skuj 01.17.2021 04:59 PM

Also, I'm about 15+ years late to the party, and making my way through Deadwood.

nicfit 01.18.2021 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Also, I'm about 15+ years late to the party, and making my way through Deadwood.

One specific scene from Deadwood will haunt me to my grave.
No spoilers.

nicfit 01.18.2021 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the final season of mr robot was fucking great.

i was afraid it would jump the shark and deliver me some predictable shit, but it avoided those traps masterfully.

i might watch the whole thing from the start all over again one of these days.

This.
I'm kinda sad lots of people lost interest in the show "too soon".
Plus, Mac Quayle is a genius.

!@#$%! 02.07.2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
This.
I'm kinda sad lots of people lost interest in the show "too soon".
Plus, Mac Quayle is a genius.

well some seasons were outright difficult to follow. but wow, huge payoff

---

this morning i'm watching MEET THE PRESS. it's been years! dr fauci was just in.

wow, to be able to watch politics on tv without feeling ill...

chuck todd is ok. he's no tim russert, but he's better than david gregory.

and damn, i miss mclaughlin, i miss gwen ifill and i miss tim russert. those were some great political show hosts.