Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

jon boy 05.08.2007 07:02 AM

electro clash!

MellySingsDoom 05.08.2007 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
Van Morrison bores me to tears.

"Astral Weeks" aside, pretty much likewise too.

ZEROpumpkins 05.08.2007 07:53 AM

Quote:

That's the popular opinion. Mine is the unpopular opinion, The Clash's 80s output was fantastic.

Not exactly, a couple of their 80's albums got good reviews. But yes, I agree in part.

sonicl 05.08.2007 07:59 AM

I'd rather listen to Sugababes than Wolf Eyes.

sarramkrop 05.08.2007 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
I heard of them, but not heard them - any recommendations?

If you've never heard them, I'd go for 'Satisfied Mind' or 'See Beautiful Rattlesnakes Gardens' . Check out also Carla Torgerson's solo album called 'Saint Stranger'.

sonicl 05.08.2007 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I'd go for 'Satisfied Mind'

I second that. I don't know if it's the Walkabouts' best album, but it is pretty brilliant.

sarramkrop 05.08.2007 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I second that. I don't know if it's the Walkabouts' best album, but it is pretty brilliant.

This is so odd, but i've just read the comment that you left with the rep and even though i wasn't aware that you like them too, I had a suspicion that you might have. Spooky.

sonicl 05.08.2007 08:52 AM

I like Cowboy Junkies, I like The Triffids... I'm bound to like The Walkabouts :)

sarramkrop 05.08.2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

I like Cowboy Junkies, I like The Triffids... I'm bound to like The Walkabouts :)

Yeah, but The Cowboy Junkies are dross, here's a not so unpopular opinion.:) :)

sonicl 05.08.2007 08:59 AM

Quote:

:rolleyes: You're Italian, I wouldn't expect you understand the greatness that is Cowboy Junkies.

demonrail666 05.08.2007 09:00 AM

Crowded House wrote a lot better songs than people might realise.

sarramkrop 05.08.2007 09:03 AM

Quote:

:rolleyes: You're Italian, I wouldn't expect you understand the greatness that is Cowboy Junkies.

Look, I bought what is their first record (i think) because they had covered 'Sweet Jane', and i thought it was abysmal, baconface.:) :) :)

atsonicpark 05.08.2007 09:05 AM

I Love Tool.

MellySingsDoom 05.08.2007 09:17 AM

Dennis Waterman's "I Could Be So Good For You" is a great tune.

sonicl 05.08.2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

Look, I bought what is their first record (i think) because they had covered 'Sweet Jane', and i thought it was abysmal, baconface.:) :) :)

That's like buying Confusion Is Sex because it has a Stooges cover on it and then dissing everything SY have ever done because it's cack. Stick to the opera, pizzaboy.

sarramkrop 05.08.2007 09:28 AM

Quote:

That's like buying Confusion Is Sex because it has a Stooges cover on it and then dissing everything SY have ever done because it's cack. Stick to the opera, pizzaboy.

UH? The only difference that you fail to mention is that Cowboy Junkies ARE NOT Sonic Youth, but a band for people who hang around in Ikea on a Saturday afternoon.

sonicl 05.08.2007 09:30 AM

Grrr.

Torn Curtain 05.08.2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Quote:

Van Morrison bores me to tears.

"Astral Weeks" aside, pretty much likewise too.

I disagree, Mondance, St Dominic's preview, Tupelo honey and It's too late to stop now are very listenable.

Torn Curtain 05.08.2007 09:34 AM

Quote:

I quite agree.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.08.2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jico.
sonic youth is mediocre.

This is just provocation. No argument.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.08.2007 10:25 AM

Right...
I can't stand Franck Black's voice. Pixies are boring.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.08.2007 10:37 AM

I was near to think that after Rather..., but I saw them live. I changed my opinion.

Pookie 05.08.2007 11:18 AM

I am a fully grown (some might say 'middle-aged') man, so what I'm about to say isn't said out of irony, to be contrary, cool, different, or through any other motive than honest opinion:

When Daydream Nation came out, I was disappointed with it, and have never thought much of it since. I didn't even realise until very recently, that it was held in such high regard. I probably haven't played it in its entirety more than a dozen times in the last 20 years.

Glice 05.08.2007 12:51 PM

Some electronica-related opinions:

Warp haven't been a good label for nearly a decade; Mego is over-rated; Raster Noton is patchy; at some point in the past, electronica wasn't for people who couldn't dance.

Massassinated 05.08.2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Some electronica-related opinions:

Warp haven't been a good label for nearly a decade; Mego is over-rated; Raster Noton is patchy; at some point in the past, electronica wasn't for people who couldn't dance.

Autechre is signed on Wrap.
So Warp CANNOT be so bad a label.

Cardinal Rob 05.08.2007 03:27 PM

I've never liked Kim Gordon's voice.

Glice 05.08.2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massassinated
Autechre is signed on Wrap.
So Warp CANNOT be so bad a label.

Oh, please. Autechre are a poor man's Parmegiani.

Massassinated 05.08.2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Oh, please. Autechre are a poor man's Parmegiani.

I'm ashamed to confess that I've never heard any Parmegiani.
But I'd be glad to be recommended some.

Massassinated 05.08.2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardinal Rob

I have some difficulty with some of her vocals on the SYR series.
But as for the "traditional" SY's albums, I love her voice.

luxinterior 05.08.2007 05:30 PM

I don't think The Mercy Seat is anywhere close to being the best Bad Seeds tune.

Still, great song, y'know? I just don't think it's any better than a number of other songs they've done.

sarramkrop 05.08.2007 06:21 PM

Talking of Cave, I find his world of darkness slightly ridicolous for an Australian, and this makes me probably a racist as well as unpopular. He ought to sing about beaches and surfing, instead of trying to be English.

Toilet & Bowels 05.08.2007 07:05 PM

trying to be johnny cash morelike.

anyway, i think all the bad seeds albums are rubbish, aside from the best of nick cave and the bad seeds which is great.

ScreamingSchool 05.08.2007 08:45 PM

The Mars Volta suck. They're just noisy for the sake of being noisy. The movie "Head" by the Monkees is a great movie and great soundtrack.

ScreamingSchool 05.08.2007 08:59 PM

I don't see what's so hot about Television. Their music is BORING. Also Bill Hicks really isn't that funny at all.

ScreamingSchool 05.08.2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardinal Rob

Thank you very much for posting that. Her voice worked for Sister MAYBE, after that she reeeeally needs to take more of a backseat on these SY albums

pbradley 05.08.2007 09:04 PM

Mars Volta's A Missing Chromosome and De-loused In The Comatorium are pretty good and aren't all that noisy.

ScreamingSchool 05.08.2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels

anyway, i think all the bad seeds albums are rubbish, aside from the best of nick cave and the bad seeds which is great.

Yeah I don't like anything by Nick Cave at all, really.

ScreamingSchool 05.08.2007 09:06 PM

I like Queensryche.

great thread!

luxinterior 05.08.2007 11:44 PM

Quote:

Talking of Cave, I find his world of darkness slightly ridicolous for an Australian, and this makes me probably a racist as well as unpopular. He ought to sing about beaches and surfing, instead of trying to be English.

Quote:

This is good, I actually prefer criticism to one more person saying The Mercy Seat is LIKE THE BEST NICK CAVE SONG EVAR. What-ever, people, get over it already.

And you know I've never been much a fan of beaches and large bodies of water so maybe that's the appeal.

Tickerwelly 05.09.2007 12:30 AM

As far as grunge bands go, Pearl Jam were better than Soundgarden and Alice In Chains.
Sonic Youth took the best parts of The Velvet Undergound and made it better.
Pavement's Terror Twilight was one of their better albums.
Of all The Beatles albums between 66-70, Sgt. Pepper's is by far their worst.