Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

evollove 04.24.2014 01:54 PM

Those all look new. I can't tell if you're totally broke or very wealthy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED By The Way

I used "highly recommended" too, and now I wonder why the phrase "lowly recommended" isn't ever used.

"Is Dirty a good album?"
"I'd recommend it, but lowly."

EVOLghost 04.24.2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove

"Is Dirty a good album?"
"I'd recommend it, but lowly."

SEE ROB!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 04.24.2014 03:15 PM

Ahhhh pony.. its too bad we're all not in college anymore, when the forum was mostly college folks we used to talk about books and shit all the time. Now, its just you with a great reading list..

I'm starting back up in grad school again this Fall but that shit is all Ed and Ed Psyc books.. no fun at all I miss reading all kinds of obscure and boring historical monographs and digging through primary source materials :(

pony 05.06.2014 09:58 AM

I scored this today and I am so happy
I should visit the webstore of my fav used book shop more often so I don't miss out on the good stuff (usually only go there once a month cause once I go in there I won't leave for 2 hours... :/ )

pony 05.06.2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Those all look new. I can't tell if you're totally broke or very wealthy.

DO I LOOK BROKE TO YOU???
but really, do I look broke? :/
(not buying much besides books these days and if you're smart and bored at uni you will find books pretty cheap on the internet most of the times)

pony 05.09.2014 10:12 AM

i like john giorno, i wanna lick his beautiful face behind which his beautiful brain is hiding. IT MUST BE SO BEAUTIFUL, that genius brain, I wanna cry

evollove 05.09.2014 10:27 AM

Why cry when you can dance with a fish?

pony 05.09.2014 10:29 AM

evollove, YOU ARE A GENIUS, let me lick your face and then dance with a fish!!

MellySingsDoom 05.09.2014 04:01 PM

Just finished these three this week:

Rob Instigator 05.09.2014 04:08 PM

For real, if you want to read a deeply disturbing account of one man's life in Jazz and drugs and crime, STRAIGHT LIFE by Art Pepper. Just finished it. wow. the turn up was REAL

Rob Instigator 05.09.2014 04:11 PM

Now reading this

pdf available here http://downloads.umu.nu/Books/Michae...B1992 %5D.pdf

pony 05.10.2014 10:26 AM

I started reading this last night at work:

I really like it. The pieces actually read like something a stoned person would put on their tumblr account, or whatever. I think it's entertaining and there are a lot of honest thoughts which I am thinking about sometimes (all the times) too and I find it really nice that someone had the chance to put out a book like that.
The same with Gabby Bess and Heiko Julien's work. Really easy to read, funny but still very thoughtful and good for reading at work or on a train when you can't really read more than a page at once cause STUFF IS GOING ON and you can't .. say.. read a whole chapter in a novel or something.
I need to do some more research and find more people that do similar stuff.
IT'S NICE, me thinks.

edit:
Also, I found out about this book last night and googled a bit and found some quotes from it. Liked them. Want to read it. Have to wait til I get MONEY next week though (WHY CAN'T I HAVE EVERYTHING THE SECOND I WANT IT!!!!..................... ok)

whorefrost 05.14.2014 05:22 PM

Recently finished All the Pretty Horses (McCarthy), about to embark on Infinite Jest (Foster-Wallace),

Currently still juggling Underwold (DeLilo), Bleeding Edge (Pynchon) etc.

Thanks.

tw2113 05.14.2014 06:19 PM

Realized I haven't posted in this thread since like June 20th of last year. I've been working through A Song of Ice and Fire, and I'm about halfway done with the 3rd book. Would be interesting to get done with it by the end of Game of Thrones season 4.

Rob Instigator 05.21.2014 01:07 PM

Reading a comic that a co-worker lent me.

I am on the 3rd book so far. Good stuff!

!@#$%! 05.21.2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Realized I haven't posted in this thread since like June 20th of last year. I've been working through A Song of Ice and Fire, and I'm about halfway done with the 3rd book. Would be interesting to get done with it by the end of Game of Thrones season 4.

i tried reading that some months ago, but i couldn't stomach the prose.

i'm gonna have to get the cliff notes.

Rob Instigator 05.21.2014 01:16 PM

I work with a lady who is HUGE into fantasy novels and she has read all of the fire & ice books, and she says the same thing about the prose. She said that she likes how the TV show is cutting so much extraneous character background exposition that the books are rife with, especially books 3 and 4.

!@#$%! 05.21.2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I work with a lady who is HUGE into fantasy novels and she has read all of the fire & ice books, and she says the same thing about the prose. She said that she likes how the TV show is cutting so much extraneous character background exposition that the books are rife with, especially books 3 and 4.

that's great to know, thanks.

plus on tv, there's the khaleesi

purty

MellySingsDoom 05.21.2014 03:53 PM

MellySingsDoom 05.21.2014 03:55 PM